No announcement yet.

Paul Pender

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Pender

Saw the Sergio Martinez fight Saturday night.

A fighter such as Paul Pender would easily be the Middleweight champ
    Today

I've never watched Paul Pender. Someone told me he was the most boring fighter of all time.

Comment

PAul Pender

Not as boring as Jimmy Young, Carlos Monzon, Jose Torres

Comment

Carlos Monzon isn't boring. I enjoyed watching his tapes.

Comment

PAul Pender

Name a classic Monzon fight that you would recommend to someone who never saw him fight. A fight where there were many exciting moments

Comment

Pender was a good boxer with good conditioning and stamina. He had a few questionable looses and some "interesting wins"! One being his return match with Sugar Ray, the local judge had Sugar winning ONE round out of 15 with 2 rounds even!!! Really??? hahaha the ref had Robinson by 2 rounds in a good fight. At that time Ray ws 39 years old and the 15 round distances had become a concern especially considering how often they fought in those days!
            Pender was a better than average boxer however he benefited by staying in the Boston area and I have plenty of experience in dealing with the home cooking that area offers. You could knock em out up there and loose a spilt!! hahaha!!! Upper New England is like boxing back in the 20s hell they still called amatuer boxing the AAU when the USA/ABF had been in charge for 6 years back in the early 80s!!! If you can't punch don't go there no matter how good you could box! Ray.

Comment

Never seen any footage of him,what was his style like?

Comment

Originally posted by Andyland View Post
                Name a classic Monzon fight that you would recommend to someone who never saw him fight. A fight where there were many exciting moments
                The truth is that Monzon was a lot more effective than exciting. He was patient and deliberate and always controlled the pace of the fight. But he was still more exciting than Hopkins.

Comment

Originally posted by Andyland View Post
                  Monzon had the Benvenuti, Briscoe and Valdes fights which were all pretty good, Benvenuti I is probably my favourite, saying Jose Torres is boring is just silly, watch the Eddie Cotton fight also got FOTY in 66.

Imo Martinez gets the decision against Pender, even the older version that we saw on Saturday would win wide, Pender isn't all that good.
                  Last edited by NChristo; 04-30-2013, 04:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Demon View Post
                    Never seen any footage of him,what was his style like?
                    He manages too make a Basilio fight boring, wouldn't be in a rush too watch him.

Constantly stayed on the outside jabbing, which wasn't all that good considering he threw about 4000 jabs for every right hand, good sense of distance, very bouncy footwork which he only used to stay on the outside, his footwork seemed like his only defense as well not much head movement at all, an alright chin although it was constantly in the air, liked to clinch alot.

Comment

Working...
                    X