Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the proper way to defend against Floyd's right hand lead?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was boxing I always kept my left shoulder up and my chin tucked in. When I put out my left hand it caused my shoulder to rise further making it almost impossible to be hit by a right hand, certainly not on the jaw, maybe the top of the head. And my left side was well advanced. I also moved to the right, alternating by occasionally standing still to invite a right hand and slipping it to my left, leaving the opponent off balance and open for a left hook and a right to the body. Won quite a few fights that way.

Boxers don't use this style any more, instead, keeping their hands low and their faces uncovered. That's asking for damage, and they get it. I had 62 fights and never even had a nose bleed. was knocked down once by a flash left hook on the ear, no count, jusr rolled over and up, before I even knew I'd been down. I remember hearing bells ringing. Odd feeling.

Mayweather throws that right very accurately, with not much power because it's more or less a direct punch, and aimed like a dart, making it very accurate.

Comment

i guess the most important quality is to have an iron chin, then depending on the boxers fighting style, probably quick footwork or excellent upper body movement then close it off with a winning punch. of course, timing could be polished and perfected in the gym.

Comment

Come back with your own right hand. That'd make him more hesitant to throw it.

Comment

Floyd has said before that he throws the right hand lead based on his opponents footwork.He will throw as they are moving towards him and a little off balance
          High guard is probably the best away to avoid that punch but anytime someone fought like that he worked their body....he has a lot of weapons and it will take a smart fighter to beat him

Comment

He throws it when he knows he is going to land it and when you are not expecting it, its not a hard shot but it is a solid shot like a good stiff jab, the speed,the timing and the fact that he throws it when your not expecting it is what makes it effective

Comment

allan green says the trick is to keep looking at your feet

Comment

step into his right hand slip to the left and introduce your own right hand!

Comment

right hands are all about distance and angles. you've got to be at the right distance to get leverage, and have an angle to land your shot straight without looping it around the guard or having it blocked.

how do you take that away against the best counterpuncher of his era?
                  i wouldn't be here if i could tell you that specifically, lol. i'd be training a guy to beat floyd mayweather and earn seven or eight figures...

if you're close enough a right hand will lack steam, and if you're far enough away you can usually see it coming and take a step back or to the side. if you control the distance, you won't get hit with right hands.
                  Last edited by New England; 10-11-2012, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    right hands are all about distance and angles. you've got to be at the right distance to get leverage, and have an angle to land your shot straight without looping it around the guard or having it blocked.

how do you do that against the best counterpuncher of his era?
                    i wouldn't be here if i could tell you that specifically, lol. i'd be training a guy to beat floyd mayweather and earn seven or eight figures...
                    ha ha you could give it a go tho

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                      allan green says the trick is to keep looking at your feet

few of these fanboyos will get the reference, but that's funny.

Comment

Working...
                      X