Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people see Mayweather as the best at 154?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people see Mayweather as the best at 154?

Mayweather beat Cotto at 154, now people see him as the best there. I see the Mayweather-Cotto fight as a battle of WW's with a bit more muscle, neither should be campaigning with the JR Middleweights. Cotto was wrongly ranked no.1.

Canelo and Trout are natural 154lb'ers. If Mayweather beat one of these, I could see the argument. But he hasn't, so why is he considered better than boxers naturally at this weight, naturally much bigger?

I can see why Mayweather fans would feel offended by this. But Mayweather doesn't have to be unbeatable at any weight he fights in, to be at the level he is at. In fact, for all we know he is probably very vulnerable at 154 against Cotto/Trout. All it means is that 154 is too big for him.

I can see Trout beating Mayweather by UD. Canelo, i'm not too sure.

name recognition

Comment

I think he is #1 at 154.

He was the first to beat Cotto at 154 who was #1 & had a world title, Trout beat Cotto who was coming off a loss. I can't think of another 154lb fighter with a decent win over another top 154lb'er...
      I mean who else has a decent win at 154? Kirkland over Angulo...

Cotto is a much better fighter and a much better win IMO

If Molina had got the decisions, I'd have him at #1

Comment

Wait, a proven vet needs to validate himself but the guys who have accomplished very little so far are assumed to be the best? Smells like bull****.

Comment

Name recognition alone put Cotto #1 at JMW which I don't agree with. Wins over Foreman, Mayorga, and Margarito don't make you number 1 in my book. I won't even get into the state of each fighter when he fought them. Not to discredit Cotto because I like him as a fighter but c'mon son. I will also add that nobody at 154 has done much better.

Comment

Mayweather is not a 154 lbr

Trout will UD Mayweather all day, any day

Trout by UD 115-113

Comment

Originally posted by Slightly Dazed View Post
              Wait, a proven vet needs to validate himself but the guys who have accomplished very little so far are assumed to be the best? Smells like bull****.
              Um no. I'm saying Mayweather is assumed to be the best. I'm not assuming anyone is.

Trout has pretty much accomplished what Mayweather has at 154. There's nothing at all saying Mayweather could beat either Trout or Canelo, yet hes ranked above them.

So basically, you're all saying: Mayweather is only no.1 because of name recognition, and because hes only just done a little more than the others by facing Cotto? Not no.1 because of skill. Fair enough. Though I dispute that because Trout has done what Mayweather has done at this weight.

In all, the bottom line is, he isn't the best of the division until proven otherwise

Comment

I don't think 154 had a clear number one guy when he fought Cotto there, I wouldn't call Cotto the number one guy at 154 neither, Not much has been done by anyone at that weight to be called number one, They are all beltholders nothing more nothing less.

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
                  Um no. I'm saying Mayweather is assumed to be the best. I'm not assuming anyone is.

Trout has pretty much accomplished what Mayweather has at 154. There's nothing at all saying Mayweather could beat either Trout or Canelo, yet hes ranked above them.

So basically, you're all saying: Mayweather is only no.1 because of name recognition, and because hes only just done a little more than the others by facing Cotto? Not no.1 because of skill. Fair enough. Though I dispute that because Trout has done what Mayweather has done at this weight.

In all, the bottom line is, he isn't the best of the division until proven otherwise
                  Some guys want to pretend that weight classes are alternate dimensions and that fights 5 or 8lbs removed do not exist on that plane. Just be a little truthful, and unbiased, and you'll see that Floyd at no1 is no stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by Slightly Dazed View Post
                    Some guys want to pretend that weight classes are alternate dimensions and that fights 5 or 8lbs removed do not exist on that plane. Just be a little truthful, and unbiased, and you'll see that Floyd at no1 is no stretch.
                    Do you have anything to back up that claim, that Mayweather is no.1 based on him being the best in the division? If not, it's an opinion, and i'll respect that.

Weight classes aren't alternate dimensions, but they have much different fighters, excluding the lower divisions like 115 118. Trout is a full fledged JMW, Cotto was a bloated WW. You're trying to tell me Mayweather is the best in the 154 division without beating a single natural 154lber.

Would you call Wlad no.1 at HW if he didn't beat anyone that started at HW, only people moving up from Cruiserweight?

Comment

Working...
                    X