Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Are Your Thoughts On Sandy Saddler?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Are Your Thoughts On Sandy Saddler?

Just give me your take on him and thoughts on him.

How great do you feel he actually was? Think he overrated, underrated, or gets the respect he deserves?

Gets overshaddowed by Pep.. Mainly because Pep had a much longer career with nearly 100 fights more.. A prime Saddler ended 3-1 up in a series of fights between the 2, but didn't fare aswell against common opponents..
    If it hadn't have been for a spell in the army and a career ending car crash which forced his retirement at 30, I think there's every chance he may have emulated Pep..
    One thing that should be noted, is he's way up there in terms of power.. Arguably the hardest punching feather of all time with over 100 KO victories to his credit..
    He turned pro at 17 and didn't get a shot at Pep & the title, until he'd had over 100 fights.. Furthermore, it was written into his contract that he had to guarantee Pep $25,000 dollars to get his shot.. This meant that he was only fighting for training expenses, but shocked the world to KO Willie in 4..

He had considerable boxing skills too, a very long reach and was never once KO'd, aswell as a non-stop piston engine style that defied his waif-like physique..
    The only thing i'd say goes against him, is he'd often throw away the script and fight rough house tactics.. Like Fritzie Zivic, he was also known as a dirty fighter..
    His overall resume cannot be overlooked though, i'd say it's only second to Pep's who I'd say just edges into the GOAT position, with Sanchez, Gomez and co, beneath them both.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
      Gets overshaddowed by Pep.. Mainly because Pep had a much longer career with nearly 100 fights more.. A prime Saddler ended 3-1 up in a series of fights between the 2, but didn't fare aswell against common opponents..
      If it hadn't have been for a spell in the army and a career ending car crash which forced his retirement at 30, I think there's every chance he may have emulated Pep..
      One thing that should be noted, is he's way up there in terms of power.. Arguably the hardest punching feather of all time with over 100 KO victories to his credit..
      He turned pro at 17 and didn't get a shot at Pep & the title, until he'd had over 100 fights.. Furthermore, it was written into his contract that he had to guarantee Pep $25,000 dollars to get his shot.. This meant that he was only fighting for training expenses, but shocked the world to KO Willie in 4..

He had considerable boxing skills too, a very long reach and was never once KO'd, aswell as a non-stop piston engine style that defied his waif-like physique..
      The only thing i'd say goes against him, is he'd often throw away the script and fight rough house tactics.. Like Fritzie Zivic, he was also known as a dirty fighter..
      His overall resume cannot be overlooked though, i'd say it's only second to Pep's who I'd say just edges into the GOAT position, with Sanchez, Gomez and co, beneath them both.
      Tell a lie, I've just found out he quit on his feet after getting KD'd 3 times by the experienced Jock Leslie.. This was only in his 2nd professional fight however and he couldn't have been more than 18 years old at the time..

Comment

Sandy Saddler versus Salvador Sanchez, now that'd be a match...

Comment

Working...
        X