Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are people so quick to accuse fighters of ducking?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Since 1985 View Post
    People seem to love to say fighters are ducking each other. "Garcia is ducking Matthysse." "Donaire is ducking Rigo." "Floyd is ducking (insert fighter)." Some fights take time to materialise. Sure some fights never happen but that doesn't mean that fights don't come off because a fighter is "ducking". Boxing is a business first and fighters as well as promoters are looking to maximize profits. At times it can really suck for the fans, but that's just the nature of boxing. I doubt there are many fighters who are scared of each other.
    If you support this "nature of the sport" and maximizing profits when you dont pocket any of the money over seeing the best fights, please stop callin yourself a boxing fan

Comment

So you think Arum would've allowed Cotto to fight Floyd in 2007?
      i dont know why he would margo but not cotto..

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
        If you support this "nature of the sport" and maximizing profits when you dont pocket any of the money over seeing the best fights, please stop callin yourself a boxing fan

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          I agree they do become overstated.

A lot of the time, if fighter A didn't fight fighter B then fans like to assume that a duck happened. It's not always the case.

But let's not act like duck's don't happen. They do.
          I agree, but I think sometimes people are just to quick to say that a fighter is ducking. Case in point, people claimed that Donaire was ducking Rigo for months, now it looks like the fight is going to happen. Bowe clearly ducked Lewis, that's one the best examples of a duck that I can think of...

Comment

Fans want to see their favorite fighters get opportunities and get frustrated when they don't.

Comment

Originally posted by puga View Post
              It's like people forget that Arum offered Floyd 8 mil for that fight. You can say that Cotto was Arum's cash cow at the time, but he wasn't even on a PPV yet.

Comment

Originally posted by puga View Post
                He had a lot more to lose with Cotto.

Cotto was his next star and money machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                  Where did I say that I support that? Boxing fans are probably the dumbest of any sport. People will **** on fights and still buy them on PPV. I don't do that. If you're going to buy ****ty fights why should fighters and promoters give us the fights we want to see? However, I'm not naive enough to believe that a fighter is ducking just because a fight doesn't happen right away.

Comment

Remember the David Haye Wladimir Klitschko saga? How long did it take them before they finally fought each other?

Comment

So you think Arum would've allowed Cotto to fight Floyd in 2007?
                      I'm not sure, possibly not, but Floyd wasn't even going to try to make it happen.

He took 2 years off from the sport.

Comment

Working...
                      X