Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sergio Martinez's Adviser Fires Back at Pirog's Promoter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Sergio Martinez's Adviser Fires Back at Pirog's Promoter

Sampson Lewkowicz, the adviser to middleweight Sergio Martinez, has fired back at some of the recently published comments from Banner Promotions President Art Pelullo, who handles the career of WBO champion Dmitry Pirog. Pelullo issued a statement after reading that Martinez had finalized a deal to face unbeaten Darren Barker on October 1. According to Pelullo, Martinez "has no interest" in fighting Pirog because of the danger involved.

[Click Here To Read More]

just make the ****in fights..im sick of promoters and advisors telling other promotors to build a damn fighter up..just fight

Comment

I have my doubts there will be many Darren Barker fans flying over. Dibella said 1,500 will come, but that seems optimistic to me. I really don't see Pirog being THAT much better than Barker as a fighter, but at least Pirog is rated in the top 10 and has a belt to offer. Doesn't Cotto want a belt at 160? Martinez could get it easily from Pirog so he could offer it to Cotto at a 155 catchweight.

Still, I think it's much easier to advertise a fight with British fighter over a Russian fighter.

Comment

I don't like these excuses, even if they may be true. With that said, if this fight is being shown by uk providers to uk audiences that's obviously what this decision turned on. I have a hard time criticizing Martinez. But he may deserve some for this one.

Comment

So would Martinez be paid extra by UK networks at least? It's the only way I could think of that that Martinez could cash in from a Barker fight.
          Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 06-15-2011, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Tis Pirog guy cant even get fights in US, who would waste there time on him?

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
              So would Martinez be paid extra from UK networks?
              Most likely, if one of the uk networks are putting up money for the fight.

Comment

This is almost word for word what Arum said about Martinez. Sad to see Sergio's team being so hypocritical.

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                So would Martinez be paid extra by UK networks at least? It's the way I could think of that that Martinez could cash in from a Barker fight.
                The amount of UK money for this fight is somewhere between non-existent and tiny.

Comment

Originally posted by Spice Boy FTW View Post
                  This is almost word for word what Arum said about Martinez. Sad to see Sergio's team being so hypocritical.

The amount of UK money for this fight is somewhere between non-existent and tiny.
                  Sampson said "Barker brings the UK television" so he seems to be implying that some good amount of money will be made from it though. Might not be much like you said, but even if it's just $100,000, that's probably a lot more than Pirog would bring money-wise.

I don't want to give Martinez a pass, but I'll be okay with what he's doing as long as it's a one time thing.

Comment

you'd have a case if he wasnt fighting fkking barker

Comment

Working...
                    X