Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we too harsh on 'quitters' or are some of them inexcusable?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rocco Cain View Post
    It's easy to criticize someone for deciding not to continue fighting no matter what the cirumstances are. Most of us will never know what being in that situation is like. I tend to not voice my opinion on matters I can't relate to.
    I agree. I'm not going to slate someone for not doing something I wouldn't do myself.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHolyCross View Post
      if your gonna quit just dont be all smiles about it afterwards
      That's probably done Ortiz more harm than anything else. His grinning after the Mayweather fight very much annoyed people.

Comment

Just rewatched the Vitali fight.

This is actually on par with Duran's 'no mas'. The fact that he's a 6'8 246 pound guy fighting against a 6 footer weighting around 218 with soft punch power have to be taken into serious consideration.

Vitali stated that 'No, I can not catch him'
        Did you think you were winning the fight 'I don't know" 'It was close"

This is shocking. I can't believe the interview I'm watching right now.

Here is more of Vitali's comments

"After third round I realize I couldn't withstand southpaw'

What the **** was that?

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedKillz View Post
          its a slippery slope. i always say, dont quit no matter what, but its impossible to say unless you're in that situation. from the sidelines of course we all say its inexcusable, inside the squared circle, its a different story.

ortiz is different though. he has quit on numerous occasions, and that is inexcusable
          Chad Dawson had to quit. Chavez wasnt getting phased by Martinez power, he was too big. He can fight on forever. Chad was getting outboxed, damaged, humiliated, beaten up very bad. A true champion must know his limits. No matter how hard he tried, Ward made him pay for every mistake. Whats the point of fighting on, if your slowly realizing that winning is impossible, your about to get your career ended, brains beaten into permanant damage, and your getting humiliated? At that point he was just a tool that Ward was using to make himself look good. Im not going to be in the ring with Ward, just to make WARD look good. So I gave him a pass, because that beating was Brutal.

Comment

I'm gonna put it quite simply, depending on the situation, a fighter quitting can be forgiven but when it's bull**** like Ortiz/Maidana or Duran/Leonard 2, then it is completely unforgivable.

I would just like to add I wasn't overly impressed with Ortiz quitting last time out but a broken jaw is obviously very painful, having said that, the likes of Ali and Abraham have thought through it.

Comment

Chad Dawson quit against a pillow puncher. I don't care how bad he was being "humiliated" you guys need to quit making up excuses for him. Ortiz quit against one of the hardest punchers in the last 20 years in his first fight and had his jaw broken in the 2nd.

Comment

Ortiz's fight with Maidana, inexcusable...
                Ortiz's fight with Lopez, not bad

Put urself in their shoes, and see what you would have done...

Against Maidana, I would have just covered up and ran until the ref stopped or until I could maybe survive the round and get some advice from my corner

Against Lopez, I would have quit

Comment

I was drunk after the Ortiz fight and I said some things about him that I realized when I saw the x-ray was maybe a little uncalled for, hence my sig.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince_Pugilist View Post
                    I'm gonna put it quite simply, depending on the situation, a fighter quitting can be forgiven but when it's bull**** like Ortiz/Maidana or Duran/Leonard 2, then it is completely unforgivable.

I would just like to add I wasn't overly impressed with Ortiz quitting last time out but a broken jaw is obviously very painful, having said that, the likes of Ali and Abraham have thought through it.
                    Some fighters got it, some fighters don't.

It's one thing to quit against a hard punching fighter around your size, it's almost impossible to understand quitting against someone almost a foot shorter than you. And who weights 30 pounds less. That is why I will never understand Vitali quitting. Never. How can you do that against someone so much smaller?
                    Last edited by WolfGirl; 11-20-2012, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfGirl View Post
                      Some fighters got it, some fighters don't.

It's one thing to quit against a hard punching fighter around your size, it's almost impossible to understand quitting against someone almost a foot shorter than you. And who weights 30 pounds less. That is why I will never understand Vitali quitting. Never. How can you do that against someone so much smaller?
                      His shoulder was pretty much gone but I completely understand what you're saying. Having said that what did you think of Ortiz quitting against the smaller Lopez?

Also no one seems to mention McCall loool

Comment

Working...
                      X