Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will anyone here be buying the May 5th card?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will anyone here be buying the May 5th card?

How will ya;ll celebrate Cinco De Mayo??is this a huge holiday in Mexico??im being serious and have a question..what does Cinco De Mayo symbolize and what are its origins? i know here in Memphis we have a huge hispanic fest on that weekend(which i always attend.ya'll got some fine ass woman and cool ass cats who just love to party)

Comment

cinco de mayo is really only a mexican-american thing...this would be a perfect thread for playapimp to say "it's for pochos "

A 2007 UCLA Newsroom article notes that "The holiday, which has been celebrated in California continuously since 1863, is virtually ignored in Mexico."[39] TIME magazine reports that "Cinco de Mayo started to come into vogue in 1940s America during the rise of the Chicano movement."[19] United Press International reports that "The holiday crossed over into the United States in the 1950s and 1960s but didn't gain popularity until the 1980s when marketers, especially beer companies, capitalized on the celebratory nature of the day and began to promote it."
      this is what it basically is...simple google search could've answered this man

Cinco de Mayo (Spanish for "fifth of May") is a celebration held on May 5. It is celebrated nationwide in the United States and regionally in Mexico, primarily in the state of Puebla,[1][2][3][4] where the holiday is called El Dia de la Batalla de Puebla (English: The Day of the Battle of Puebla).[5][6][7] The date is observed in the United States as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride,[8] and to commemorate the cause of freedom and democracy during the first years of the American Civil War.[9] In the state of Puebla, the date is observed to commemorate the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín.[2][10] Contrary to widespread popular belief, Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico's Independence Day—the most important national patriotic holiday in Mexico—which is actually celebrated on September 16
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinco_de_Mayo

Comment

I will say that it's mostly celebrated in Puebla when the Mexican natives smashed the French who at the time where the #1 lbxlb nation in regards to military.

Comment

i'm buying it

Comment

This gringo will be buying it. C'mon....it's Mayweather vs. Cotto. Even if we all think Floyd is going to win easily, who wouldn't want to watch the entire card and see how these two legends matchup? And unlike a Pacquiao fight, there's no BS like catch weights, PEDS, Arum in-house fighters, etc...

Look for the winner to fight Martinez in November at 154.

Comment

Nah not buying it. Won't you be locked up by May 5th Larry?

Comment

I'm buying this, who wouldn't want to see two of the best boxers of the past decade going to battle? I'm rooting for my countryman Cotto but I'm not a fool to know that Floyd may win a UD, this is a great fight and very even if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by Larryx2011 View Post
                  How will ya;ll celebrate Cinco De Mayo??is this a huge holiday in Mexico??im being serious and have a question..what does Cinco De Mayo symbolize and what are its origins? i know here in Memphis we have a huge hispanic fest on that weekend(which i always attend.ya'll got some fine ass woman and cool ass cats who just love to party)
                  Cinco de Mayo is always mistakenly celebrated as "mexican independence day" which is actually the 16th of September celebrated by "El Grito de Hidalgo" (the yell/cry of Hidalgo)....but I digress.....

Cinco de Mayo is actually the celebration of the victory over the french regime by the out manned out gunned mexican people.....this battle took place in Mexico.....more specifically in a state called Puebla....hence "la batalla de puebla" (the battle of puebla) think the battle at the Alamo....that kinda thing

In mexico the 5th of may is pretty much just the 5th of may......there are a few states (like Puebla) that do celebrate 5 de mayo but the vast majority of Mexico does not....this is more of a big deal here in the states.....its supposed to be a celebration of freedom pride and heritage but alas.......most people have no idea what it is other than a chance to get **** drunk and wear "funny" hats.........

I hope you were begin serious and not trolling since I wrote all this out for you deek.....

oh and as for the fight I ain't buyin ****........imma watch no dobut but I ain't payin fo ****!!!!!!! true story!!!
                  Last edited by extracurRICular; 03-07-2012, 12:08 PM.

Comment

It was a war with the French. Mostly celebrated here in the states. Gives a reason for white ppl to drink.

Comment

Working...
                    X