No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Garcia to the Body, Donaire With the Repeat in Texas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Garcia to the Body, Donaire With the Repeat in Texas

by Cliff Rold - 25-year old Mikey Garcia (33-0, 28 KO) of Oxnard, California, moved up from Featherweight and added his second WBO title in a second weight class on Saturday night at the American Bank Center in Corpus Christie, Texas, coming off the floor in the second and knocking out 30-year old 130 lb. titlist Rocky Martinez (27-2-2, 16 KO) of Vega Baja, Puerto Rico, the eight round with a precise shot to the body.

Both men came in below the division limit, Garcia at 128 ¾ and Martinez at 129 ¾. The referee was Laurence Cole.

The first round and most of the second were measured, both men boxing and warming to their task. A short right hand enlivened the affair near the end of the second, Martinez dropping Garcia. Garcia beat the count but appeared a little unsteady in the ensuing exchange before returning to the corner.

Round three had moments for both men, Garcia landing a particularly nasty right hand. Martinez closed the round aggressively, if not too effectively. The fourth round was close, the fight remaining a technical struggle with enough hard punches both ways to keep tension high. Garcia boxed well in the fifth and knocked Martinez off balance late to assert some control. Martinez showed no wilt. [Click Here To Read More]

Great event, and I agree, best fight was Donaire/Darchinyan fight. I honestly thought Donaire was going to lose and his career would have been over. He didn't really show he wanted it anymore. But it's that one punch that turned things around and I got surprised. But due to this mediocre performance, he will not beat Rigo.

Comment

The Donaire before, today and tomorrow won't be beating Rigondeoux in any match. I like Donaire. I've watched all of his fights since the Darchi fight back in 07. But honestly, Rigon is far more refined and technical than Donaire can ever will be.

Only chance Donaire can win against Rigon is if he gets him with that vaunted left of his, be it a counter, cross or straight, it will take the lights out of any fighter in his weight class.

Rigon went flat on his back during their April match but Donaire simply cannot outbox him. If ever there is a rematch, then Rigon by UD but Donaire has that boxer's chance. One can never know.

Comment

IMO GARCIA can move up and be three division world champ to win another WBO belt beating RICKY BURNS also in his next fight.GARCIA is very young and very good.

Comment

Great end of the year thanks to TOP RANK,Provodnikov-Alvarado,this card and next with PAC-MAN;ANDRADE is a real problem for the others now that he is champion,after the fight with Zaurbek Baysangurov that has to happen i see ANDRADE as the better 154 world champs except for FLOYD but the style of ANDRADE with his speed,height,reach and southpaw stance will be a tough one for the P4P king!CANELO,TROUT,LARA,MOLINA,SMITH are all losers in a ring with ANDRADE and also the last COTTO i think will lose with ANDRADE!

Comment

donaire may not have the same speed but still possess that killer left that catapulted him to stardom...his sight is set on a rematch with rigo...rigo has all the skill of a boxer but im not counting donaire out...

hope the rematch happens...

Comment

Good night of fights, Vic proved most of us wrong and made it a real good fight, nice KO for Nonito on a night where he seemed off IMO

Mikey got put down but was never in any trouble, fought smart and ended up with a nice KO

BS judge in first fight, love when judges are called on BS score cards

Comment

Donaire looked plain awful for most of the fight -- clueless, ineffective and basically uninterested -- actually made ol' Vic look good despite the fact that he's just a shell of what he was in his prime at this point -- if that's all that Donaire can bring to the ring, he's done as an elite fighter

Garcia is an all-around excellent fighter with no apparent weaknesses -- it's a pleasure watching him

Comment

Garcia vs John is it!
                  Last edited by jrboxer10; 11-10-2013, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X