Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Muhammad Ali had developed into a power puncher?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skittlez View Post
    Could he have become a power puncher though? How will you rate his power? From 1 to 10?
    Could he have just gave up on the dancing during his prime and focused on power punching?

I have this image of Ali coming forward with his granite chin and with 35 extra pounds of muscles and just walking through any heavyweight in history.
    I would say probably 7.

I don't think you can become a huge puncher, it's something that you're born with, that extra muscle wouldn't do **** to his power.

Ali coming forward flat-footed wouldn't have been a great fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
      I would say probably 7.

I don't think you can become a huge puncher, it's something that you're born with, that extra muscle wouldn't do **** to his power.

Ali coming forward flat-footed wouldn't have been a great fighter.
      I will read up on that. I disagree. I think Ali could have added 20 pounds of muscles and just gave forward and train on power.

Do you think you can train power? Or it's natural?

Comment

Could he have become a power puncher though? How will you rate his power? From 1 to 10?
        Could he have just gave up on the dancing during his prime and focused on power punching?

I have this image of Ali coming forward with his granite chin and with 35 extra pounds of muscles and just walking through any heavyweight in history.
        A 7, 7.5 on a scale of 10.

And he could have at times, depending on the opponent. He punished a couple of his opponents by humiliating them for the whole fight rather than knock them out.

On the other hand, the likes of Foreman, Norton and Frazier are not the kind of guys you want to trade all night with. Especially if you can box.

As said, if he tried to brawl, he could have been good, very good possibly, but not great, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Bomber View Post

And he could have at times, depending on the opponent. He punished a couple of his opponents by humiliating them for the whole fight rather than knock them out.

On the other hand, the likes of Foreman, Norton and Frazier are not the kind of guys you want to trade all night with. Especially if you can box.

As said, if he tried to brawl, he could have been good, very good possibly, but not great, in my opinion.
          But Ali has never been knocked out.. so he will just walk you down?
          I think that if Ali specifically trained for power, he would have more power than Foreman.

Do you think that it's possible to train specifically for power?

Like if Pauli Malginini trained for power is it possible? Or he's just too ****ty.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Bomber View Post

Why not trade with Norton?
            Foreman did.. and Norton ended up getting knocked out.

Comment

If power were simply something that you could develop, we wouldn't have seen as many feather-fisted fighters as we have seen in this sport throughout it's history.Obviously there's more to punching than simply power, but I do tend to subscribe to the old theory/cliche that "punchers are born, not made."

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
              Anybody who's not a one-punch knockout artist has mediocre power now? lol

For a man of his size, I absolutely believe that he was a mediocre puncher.Enough to keep you honest and no more than that.

Why not trade with Norton?
              Foreman did.. and Norton ended up getting knocked out.

Well, ya know, those styles......they tend to make certain type of fights.

Comment

Punchers are born not made, its not just about power, it's a combination of speed, technique, power, timing and a lot to do with a fighters mentality. True punchers like McClellan, Jackson, foreman, hamed didn't want to box, they believed in their ability to score knock outs and went searching for them, abandoning there boxing skills

Comment

Is power natural? Or could Ali have developed into a power puncher. I often felt that if Ali had sat down on his punches more.. he could have been a p4p punching monster. He definitely had the calves to generate massive power.
                  If you take a close look at Ali's rec..He knockout all the power punchers who was suppose to KO Ali..Just saying,Ali had power..I don't know if I would call him a power puncher..But he had power for sure..

Comment

Ali's power is kind of underrated. Not full on underrated, but kind of. He hurt people, and stopped fighters that were hard to stop.

Comment

i think you can be born with genetics that help with the power: heavy hands, strong wrists and legs.
                      but ultimately I believe you can train to be a power puncher. After all the ability to apply power is down to physics and science of the muscles and timing which by all means can be altered by intelligent training and skill
                      Jack Demsey who was quite a powerful puncher, believed punchers are made and not born, he wrote a book on it, you can read it here:

http://cdn.preterhuman.net/texts/sur...20Fighting.pdf

give it a read and (if you box) try it out...but it's still worth a read

Comment

Working...
                      X