No announcement yet.

Hatton and Graham to split?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
    It's something of a misconception that Hatton doesn't throw straight punches. He does, he throws a straight right hand that's like an arrow but he tends to use it as a fast lead punch that gets him inside. Given his physical limitations it make no sense for him to throw lots of straight punches at distance so he uses them as setup punches.

Hatton also has a decent range of jabs I've noticed too, he has a good inside jab and an up-jab which can be effective. His flaws are not with his punching, they're with his defence. When he chooses to box and punch in combination he can be brilliant, especially when he will feint his way in throw of a combination then sidestep around his opponent and throw again. The problem is he looks to hold just a touch too much and this sometimes hampers his effectiveness and leaves him open to counters. The other thing he tends to do is stand out of range poised to strike then leaping forward. It works out OK when he's fresh but when he is tired in the later rounds it becomes a bit obvious and he tends to run onto big punches.

He'd be OK with Graham but he just needs more emphasis on his lateral and head movement instead of bullrushing and attempting to overpower.

u should never limit yourself to one style no matter how old u are Boxing is about adapting to situations and doing the same things will limit your chances of winning ,Hatton is not that limited physically IMO its not like he is a midget or anything if u have short arms or not u can still be effective as a Boxer its about timing and using feints etc which he is quite good at anyway or using your double jab to close the range then unleashing combinations ,getting in and out firing off combinations etc

Hattons does not throw conventional straight shots and even if he does he does it very sparingly and not enough ,using up jabs is one of the reasons he is open defensively cause when u miss with an up jab it leaves all your weight on your front foot ,i do agree the holding is a big problem with him though cause that is more often than not what tires him out and thus makes him easier to hit if u watch the Collazo ,PBF fights he gets hit more when he takes his foot off the gas and uses less preassure and his reflexes have slowed down a bit

Comment

Originally posted by abadger View Post
      Hatton could have been pretty incredible IMO had he added a little box and move to his game (or kept it there!). He has speed, power and movement and if he had concentrated more on his outside game he could have been excellent I think.
      Well his A game is inside. The trouble in later years is his overwillingness to hold on when he got into range. He likes to hold briefly, spin out and punch when he should concentrate on combinations.

This notion that Hatton throws wild inaccurate punches is bogus. He lands his punches at an acceptable rate and he throws a lot of them. He also hits hard.

His flaws are absolutely to do with shipping to many in return which didn't seem to be an issue until after the Collazo fight. Incidentally a lot of people point to the Collazo fight as the quintessential Hatton performance when in reality it was the worst he ever looked in any fight including the Mayweather one. He really didn't do much right.

Comment

Well his A game is inside. The trouble in later years is his overwillingness to hold on when he got into range. He likes to hold briefly, spin out and punch when he should concentrate on combinations.

This notion that Hatton throws wild inaccurate punches is bogus. He lands his punches at an acceptable rate and he throws a lot of them. He also hits hard.

His flaws are absolutely to do with shipping to many in return which didn't seem to be an issue until after the Collazo fight. Incidentally a lot of people point to the Collazo fight as the quintessential Hatton performance when in reality it was the worst he ever looked in any fight including the Mayweather one. He really didn't do much right.

Hatton does thow inacurate shots open your eyes he does not have an arrow of a right hand that comes threw the centre of the guard he cannot throw a double jab right hand he cannot throw four straight punches then finish on a left hook he throws wide arking punches

i supose it had nothing to do witht the fact that Collazo was one of the better oponents he has faced lol

Comment

u should never limit yourself to one style no matter how old u are Boxing is about adapting to situations and doing the same things will limit your chances of winning ,Hatton is not that limited physically IMO its not like he is a midget or anything if u have short arms or not u can still be effective as a Boxer its about timing and using feints etc which he is quite good at anyway or using your double jab to close the range then unleashing combinations ,getting in and out firing off combinations etc
          That's what he did for most of his career though. I mean he'd be an idiot to try and jab his way to victory on his toes... But he does feint and move, he just tends to lose his head. I think it would be a mistake to lose a largely winning formula with two fights to go.

Comment

That's what he did for most of his career though. I mean he'd be an idiot to try and jab his way to victory on his toes... But he does feint and move, he just tends to lose his head. I think it would be a mistake to lose a largely winning formula with two fights to go.
            i dont think it would do him any harm to try to develop another game plan ,strategy it will enhance his chances of winning cause he can adapt more

Comment

I don't think it'd be a great idea for him to split with two fights left to go. Matthew Hatton has been an underachiever with Graham but he is ideally suited to Ricky's style. Would be teaching an old dog new tricks if he were to seek another trainer.
              Squeal, it is a chicken or egg scenario.

Ricky's style is largely due to Graham and that big, stupid bag. And Kerry Keyes and his weightlifting obsession.

Comment

He does not. He thinks he does.

He hops side to side, and any decent boxer picks that up within a round or two and starts tagging him. RH's rhythm is predictable.

See how much he got hit by Collazo, FMJ, and Lazcano?

Comment

Originally posted by DIOS DOMINICANO View Post
                  He does not. He thinks he does.

He hops side to side, and any decent boxer picks that up within a round or two and starts tagging him. RH's rhythm is predictable.

See how much he got hit by Collazo, FMJ, and Lazcano?
                  i think he uses feints well how do u think he slips inside the jab and lands left hooks to the head and body

i agree 100 % though his RH's rhythm is predictable which makes him easy to time against any decent counter puncher

Comment

Working...
                  X