• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 10 Best Boxing Fights in History

from:http://www.buzzle.com/articles/best-boxing-fights.html

what you guys think of this list?

Top 10 Best Boxing Fights in History

Boxing is a superb art of displaying defensive skills of hitting an opponent and not being hit. This violent game of slug fest never fails to create a spectacle. Men and women are filled with excitement before the start of the game. The roaring cheers and screams, the boxing fever that makes women drool over the professional boxing hulks has always been a part of some of the best boxing fights of all time. The following are the top 10 boxing fights in history.

George Foreman vs Ron Lyle
    This was a war between two heavy hitters. This was George Foreman's first fight in 15 months after his last match, which he lost to the almighty Muhammad Ali in "The Rumble in the Jungle". The match between Foreman and Lyle was termed as the the Fight of the Year by Ring Magazine. This match was won by Foreman, who continued to pick himself up after receiving multiple blows himself. This is truly one of the best boxing match ever, where Foreman gave the all time best of his entire career.

Ali vs Foreman
    Muhammad Ali and George Foremen, both legends in their own league. Just the very mention of this game, makes one remember this as the biggest upsets ever. Foreman was known to annihilate every heavy weight champion who dared to stand opposite him. The verdict of the match was very predictable, as all thought Ali didn't stand a chance. However, in the seventh round, Ali threw a heavy stunner. Foreman was knocked out of the game and Ali won the match. This match was just one of the many accomplishments of Muhammad Ali. This match was full of surprises and high drama, earning the title as one of the best boxing fights of all time.

Thomas Hearn vs Marvin Hagler
    Think what you may, but this definitely is one of the best boxing match ever fought in history. This match was fought in the 'golden eighties'. Thomas Hearns was a devastating boxer who brushed off anyone who dared to step up to him in the ring. This was one of the most exciting matches from the first round. Hagler was known to start slow, but in this match he came up aggressively against Hearn. The fight round looked as if the two thought they had just three rounds to complete the fight. In the second round, Hearns hits Hagler with a power punch and Hagler too had his share of punches on his opponent. By the third round, there was non-stop action, that lead to a knock out punch. Hagler won the fight and earned a name worldwide.

Arturo Gatti vs Micky Ward I
    One of the best boxing matches ever, this fight earned the Fight of The Year honor from Ring Magazine. The 'Irish' Micky Ward and Arturo 'Thunder' Gatti fought the best boxing fight in history. Ward secured a points win over Gatti in the ninth round after a ferocious and bloody fight.

Jose Luis Castillo vs Diego Corrales
    Fought in May 2005, it had all the ingredients to become the best boxing fights of the decade. This fight saw a shower of battering blows, underhand tactics, etc. Knocked down twice during the game, Corrales bought additional recovery time by spitting out his mouth guard. Finally, he gave out a 'perfect' right hand (in his words) and was termed victorious over Castillo.

Buster Douglas vs Mike Tyson
    This fight proved to be the greatest upsets in Mike Tyson's boxing career. He was termed invincible and his loss to James 'Buster' Douglas, shattered this image.

Marvin Hagler vs Vito Antuofermo
    This is one of the few rare, best boxing match to end in controversy. This fight was declared a draw, even though many felt Hagler had won the fight.

Sugar Ray Robinson vs Carmen Basilio II
    This was a 15 round match where the fading boxing star Sugar Ray earned this match win with points verdict.

Julio Cesar Chavez vs Meldrick Taylor I
    This match truly earns a spot in the top 10 best boxing fights in history. This match continued to be fought for 12 full rounds. The match was under Taylor as Chavez was behind by one point. However, tables were turned with just two seconds left on the clock. Chavez won the match, leaving everyone in the arena truly astonished.

Erik Morales vs Marco Antonio Barrera I
    These slender bodied Mexicans delivered a heavyweight performance in the ring. Thus, earning a place in one of the best boxing fights of the decade. The entire fight was more than perfect with round eight becoming one of the most memorable boxing round of the match. There was nothing that went wrong in the match. The match was divided into two sequels by public demand. The first match won by Morales and the rematch was won by Barrera through an unanimous outcome. The final and third fight took place at Super Featherweight. This match too was won by Barrera through a majority decision.

Best Boxing Fights of All Time

These were some of the top 10 best boxing fights in history. There are many such best boxing matches that have itched a place in the history of boxing. Some of the best boxing match ever that will forever remembered by boxing fans all over the world are as follows:
    Jonny Reagan v Jack Dempsey, 1887
    Sugar Ray Leonard v Thomas Hearns, 1981
    Bobby Chacon v Rafael Limon, 1982
    Bartley Gorman vs Mexicana Webb, 1980
    Muhammad Ali vs. Joe Frazier III, 1975
    Jack Dempsey vs. Luis Angel Firpo, 1923
    Joe Louis vs. Billy Conn, 1941
    Evander Holyfield vs. Mike Tyson, 1997
    Rocky Marciano vs Jersey Joe Walcott, 1952

I will work on my own list tomorrow on the company clock, but it's obvious that the above list ranks the fights more on historical significance than anything else.

Ali-Foreman and Tyson-Douglas weren't especially good fights (particularly Tyson-Douglas... that was a blowout). Also, the article is biased toward action-type fights; I don't know if I'd consider Hagler-Hearns a "great fight", just a great slugfest.

My Number One greatest fight of all time: Sugar Ray Leonard vs. Wilfred Benitez.

I'll add more tomorrow if anyone cares, or even if they don't.

Comment

Frazier-Ali I absolutely has to be on this list. Otherwise it's like a best movie list without "The Godfather".

Comment

my ten..

Dempsey vs Firpo
        Marciano vs Walcott I
        Ali vs Foreman
        Corrales vs Castillo I
        Tyson vs Douglas
        Johnson vs Jeffries
        Leonard vs Hagler
        Robinson vs LaMotta
        Louis vs Schmeling I
        Cribb vs Molineaux I (BK)

Comment

it's a pretty ****ty list because many fights that are there shouldn't be there and there are many fights missing as a consequence...

it's dumb to rank one-sided fights for the most part in a top 10 list of greatest fights ever
          Last edited by Tiozzo; 09-24-2010, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
            I will work on my own list tomorrow on the company clock, but it's obvious that the above list ranks the fights more on historical significance than anything else.

Ali-Foreman and Tyson-Douglas weren't especially good fights (particularly Tyson-Douglas... that was a blowout). Also, the article is biased toward action-type fights; I don't know if I'd consider Hagler-Hearns a "great fight", just a great slugfest.

My Number One greatest fight of all time: Sugar Ray Leonard vs. Wilfred Benitez.

I'll add more tomorrow if anyone cares, or even if they don't.
            strange pick, it was a very careful tactical/technical fight...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
              Frazier-Ali I absolutely has to be on this list. Otherwise it's like a best movie list without "The Godfather".
              Leonard-Duran should be there too

unbelievable brawl fought at the highest skill level

Comment

Originally posted by LeTombeur View Post
                strange pick, it was a very careful tactical/technical fight...
                i dont think it isnt strange at all. that fight is like a chessgame in action.

Comment

Originally posted by led View Post
                  i dont think it isnt strange at all. that fight is like a chessgame in action.
                  chess matches usually aren't the most entertaining fights as far as action is concerned...

Comment

Originally posted by LeTombeur View Post
                    chess matches usually aren't the most entertaining fights as far as action is concerned...
                    that depends on how one look at it. some like fights that are even in slugfest, while some want a fight involving an even tactical fight. thats why i dont fight the reply strange at all.

i like exciting slugfets, however benitez-leonard is fight that i never get tired watching cause the boxing skills they showed in their fight is entertaining enough for us, boxing fans.

cheers.

Comment

Working...
                    X