• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read before buying the new Mac Book Pro 2012

The New MacBook Pro: Unfixable, Unhackable, Untenable

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...retina-displa/

excerpts:
    The Retina MacBook is the least repairable laptop we’ve ever taken apart:

Unlike the previous model, the display is fused to the glass, which means replacing the LCD requires buying an expensive display assembly. The RAM is now soldered to the logic board — making future memory upgrades impossible. And the battery is glued to the case, requiring customers to mail their laptop to Apple every so often for a $200 replacement. The design may well be comprised of “highly recyclable aluminum and glass” — but my friends in the electronics recycling industry tell me they have no way of recycling aluminum that has glass glued to it like Apple did with both this machine and the recent iPad.

We have consistently voted for hardware that’s thinner rather than upgradeable. But we have to draw a line in the sand somewhere. Our purchasing decisions are telling Apple that we’re happy to buy computers and watch them die on schedule. When we choose a short-lived laptop over a more robust model that’s a quarter of an inch thicker, what does that say about our values?

Originally posted by arraamis View Post
    The New MacBook Pro: Unfixable, Unhackable, Untenable

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...retina-displa/

excerpts:
    The Retina MacBook is the least repairable laptop we’ve ever taken apart:

Unlike the previous model, the display is fused to the glass, which means replacing the LCD requires buying an expensive display assembly. The RAM is now soldered to the logic board — making future memory upgrades impossible. And the battery is glued to the case, requiring customers to mail their laptop to Apple every so often for a $200 replacement. The design may well be comprised of “highly recyclable aluminum and glass” — but my friends in the electronics recycling industry tell me they have no way of recycling aluminum that has glass glued to it like Apple did with both this machine and the recent iPad.

We have consistently voted for hardware that’s thinner rather than upgradeable. But we have to draw a line in the sand somewhere. Our purchasing decisions are telling Apple that we’re happy to buy computers and watch them die on schedule. When we choose a short-lived laptop over a more robust model that’s a quarter of an inch thicker, what does that say about our values?
    I hope consumers soon revolt against apple. Apple is seems is having no problems revolting against them. They are basically at the point of having no products that are user serviceable in the least. Making high ticket items disposable only should be considered criminal.

Comment

Interesting read.

I'm deciding between the 2011 and 2012 edition atm.

Comment

Originally posted by deanrw View Post
        I hope consumers soon revolt against apple. Apple is seems is having no problems revolting against them. They are basically at the point of having no products that are user serviceable in the least. Making high ticket items disposable only should be considered criminal.
        Many purchasers won't know this info about the New Macbook Pro until after the cash is spent.

Its smart of Apple, but only IF consumers continue to tolerate it.

Comment

I got the 2011 and if this is true, as much as I might hate it, I will have to go back to a crappy HP. I like having the option of self repair.

Comment

Working...
          X