Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Legacy Terms, How Do You Rate Floyds Win Over Hatton?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
    He beat a well past-it Tszyu and a washed up Castillo. Those are his two biggest wins and considering the shape those two were in they mean pretty much **** all.

Shannon Briggs was the lineal champion at Heavyweight. It doesn't mean squat.

Point being, if it weren't for his loudmouthed nuthuggers Hatton would be known for exactly what he is: A club fighter that picked off a couple of has-beens and got a couple of undeserved shots at the big boys. A couple of shots he got the crap beaten out him in.

Poet
    Poet the Kostya that Hatton beat was still a pretty capable fighter. I'm not denying he was at the end of his career and past it, but he was still pretty good. If Hatton was a bum club fighter, he would have lost to Kostya. I don't think Hatton was a great fighter, but he was pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
      Poet the Kostya that Hatton beat was still a pretty capable fighter. I'm not denying he was at the end of his career and past it, but he was still pretty good. If Hatton was a bum club fighter, he would have lost to Kostya. I don't think Hatton was a great fighter, but he was pretty good.
      Hatton doesn't survive 5 rounds with a prime Tszyu. Lets face facts: Tszyu had had exactly ONE fight in the previous two years. And that was against a Sharmba Mitchell that was even more over the hill then Tszyu was.

Poet

Comment

Hatton doesn't survive 5 rounds with a prime Tszyu. Lets face facts: Tszyu had had exactly ONE fight in the previous two years. And that was against a Sharmba Mitchell that was even more over the hill then Tszyu was.

Poet
        I like Hatton but another thing you didnt mention was the Tszyu fight was pretty much even up until Kosta quit in the late rounds with the fights outcome still in question. I still think Hatton is better than you give him credit for.

Comment

Poet
          I agree, 5 rounds if he's lucky.

Comment

I think it's an okay, good win for Mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
              It was a solid win, but it would have meant more at 140. Hatton's fights at 147 were disappointing.
              Agreed. After the Collazo fight Hatton said 147 was to big for him and he wasn't as effective. I think Floyd would have beaten him there too, but at least Ricky would have been at his best.

Comment

Ricky Hatton has his flaws but his strengths and style were enough to convince people he had a real shot at Floyd, his main attribute against a mover like Mayweather being his ability to close the gap so quickly

Real Good win for Mayweather against a pumped up undefeated fighter with a roaring crowd behind him

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
                  Very solid win for Mayweather. Hatton was at the top of his game and the man to beat. People believed Hatton was the man who could beat Mayweather and Mayweather was accused of ducking Ricky Hatton. He dominated Ricky Hatton and handed him his first loss, by KO no less, which Floyd does not do too often - he is not a KO artist.

I just feel that when Manny fought Hatton he was disheartened. He wasn't unbeaten, he was blowing up in weight and abusing drugs and alcohol. I think at his absolute best, he puts up a better fight than what we saw, but I don't see Hatton winning.

I think that Floyd definitely fought the better version of Hatton. As you know, Hatton would go on to take a pasting in his next fight, and then he would fight Manny and retire - never a good sign. It tells us that he was at the tail end of his career when he fought Manny.
                  Great post. It is easy now to say Hatton was overrated after the beating Manny gave him and him getting into coke and alcohol and looking like a loser. But he had tremendous self belief going into the Mayweather fight and Floyd broke him down bit by bit and at the end Hatton was finished mentally. I was a good solid performance by Floyd.

Comment

Working...
                  X