• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SwoleBiceps View Post
    What are your rep ranges?
    Why no deadlifts?
    Why no Back Squats?
    Why are you doing so little for shoulders?
    Why aren't you doing barely any BB exercises?

I'd lose the 3 day split and do Mon-Friday and take Saturday and Sunday off.

I'd do Chest, Back, Legs and Shoulders on their own day and do Bi's and Tri's together.

Throw in abs with every workout.

Couple that with eating a lot and you'll get huge.
    You should really do biceps with back and triceps with chest.

You should only do abs once or twice a week, if you can do more you ain't hitting em right.

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
      You should really do biceps with back and triceps with chest.
      Not really.

You should only do abs once or twice a week, if you can do more you ain't hitting em right.
      This isn't true either.

Comment

Both are true.

Working Biceps and triceps on the same day is odd given theyre such small muscles, and that they're antagonistic to each other. For maximum gains you want triceps on chest day and biceps on back day.

Your abs are just like any other muscle, you shouldnt work them any different. For mass gains you need to be working at about 80% your max lift in the 5-8 rep range. If you're doing that you shouldn't be able to do them more than once or twice a week.

Anything more and you're not working them hard enough.

Comment

Both are true.

Working Biceps and triceps on the same day is odd given theyre such small muscles, and that they're antagonistic to each other. For maximum gains you want triceps on chest day and biceps on back day.

Your abs are just like any other muscle, you shouldnt work them any different. For mass gains you need to be working at about 80% your max lift in the 5-8 rep range. If you're doing that you shouldn't be able to do them more than once or twice a week.

Anything more and you're not working them hard enough.
          Absolutely right.

And you need to work your legs, both so you don't look like a goofy ass chicken legged mother ****er, but also because it will improve your boxing performance.

Comment

I took last quarter off from a hypertrophy routine and focused on gaining strength and did Bill Starr's 5x5 program.. my lifts went from:

Bench 185x5->205x5
            Squat 215x5->255x5
            Deadlift 245x5->315x5
            Barbell Row 135x5->165x5

.. 9 weeks, gained 0lbs because I was treating this as an "experiment". I hate how people say weights MAKE you gain weight.. you gotta EAT to gain the weight, and I stuck to a strict diet the entire time to ensure I didn't gain weight. Yes, my body changed and I looked better, but I added virtually no weight and obviously my strength jumped through the roof. Now I am back on a hypertrophy program but since I loved the feeling of HEAVY ASS 5x5's I am doing a modified version of Layne Norton's routine which incorporates 5x5's as well as traditional sets of 8-12 reps.

Comment

if your going for looking like the hulk agreed though giant bulky abs are worthless.

as well with just doing weighted sit ups you end up like arnold with no defined lower abs and huge upper abs since the range of motion causes the upper abs to take the brunt of the weight.

situps 5-6 times a week is best for functional strength and overall appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Shen View Post
                if your going for looking like the hulk agreed though giant bulky abs are worthless.

as well with just doing weighted sit ups you end up like arnold with no defined lower abs and huge upper abs since the range of motion causes the upper abs to take the brunt of the weight.

situps 5-6 times a week is best for functional strength and overall appearance.
                We're not talking about functional strength we're talking about bulking, hence my post.

And weighted sit ups isn't the only core exercise.

Comment

Comment

That looks like too much volume. Your chest should be done with two, maximum three exercises; supporting muscles like triceps or shoulders should be done with one or two exercises.
                    For my training style I always trained antagonist muscles, up until this spring when I started doing upper/lower body splits.
                    But honestly, that would not interest you.
                    The best source, by far, to get a good program is tmuscle.com

Comment

Working...
                    X