Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Why We Love Boxing: Revisiting Salido vs. Lopez - Fight I

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Why We Love Boxing: Revisiting Salido vs. Lopez - Fight I

By Thomas Gerbasi - Looking at the sport of boxing is a fairly cut and dried experience, and not just from the viewpoint of Fighter A punches Fighter B, and one falls down or one wins a judges’ decision. There are certain patterns, certain things that nine out of 10 times will take place to ensure that the natural order of this particular universe remains intact.

But what happens in that tenth time, when the underdog upsets the favorite and throws the boxing world off its axis? Well, that’s when we realize why we love this sport, and why, with all the corruption, bad judging, bad officiating, and businessmen masquerading as fighters, we still tune in.

It’s why we watched Orlando Salido challenge Juan Manuel Lopez for the WBO featherweight title last April, and why we’ll do it again this Saturday night when they rematch for the same belt. Because for all intents and purposes, Salido shouldn’t be here. At this point, Puerto Rico’s Lopez probably should have been fighting Yuriorkis Gamboa in a legit lower weight class Superfight. But he’s not. Instead, he’s fighting the man who turned over his applecart (stomping on a few apples in the process), the one who handed him his first loss as a professional and who affected his wallet by snatching the Gamboa fight from him. [Click Here To Read More]

Beautifully written article.

It's got me pumped up for Saturday.

Comment

Let's fucking do it!

Comment

IMO people give Lopez to much credit in the first fight. When I re watched the fight I though Lopez won the first 2 rounds but the 3rd could have gone either way. But I don't know how anyone could give Juanma the 4th. It seems to me a lot of people think Lopez can out box Siri in the rematch because they think he did well throughout the first 4 rounds. But I just don't see it happening. Juanma was getting tagged with right hands all night in the last fight, and he started getting hit in the first round. Even when he was boxing effectively against Salido he was still getting hit and never dominated Siri.
        I think Lopez over looked Salido but even if he trains harder and is more focused he still loses. Weak chin and bad defense = tko by Salido.

Comment

Originally posted by bigcursedawg View Post
          IMO people give Lopez to much credit in the first fight. When I re watched the fight I though Lopez won the first 2 rounds but the 3rd could have gone either way. But I don't know how anyone could give Juanma the 4th. It seems to me a lot of people think Lopez can out box Siri in the rematch because they think he did well throughout the first 4 rounds. But I just don't see it happening. Juanma was getting tagged with right hands all night in the last fight, and he started getting hit in the first round. Even when he was boxing effectively against Salido he was still getting hit and never dominated Siri.
          I think Lopez over looked Salido but even if he trains harder and is more focused he still loses. Weak chin and bad defense = tko by Salido.
          I agree with you that Lopez is given much more credit for being in "control" of the fight, much more than I see on video but I do think he can outbox Salido if he plays it smart.

Distance is something that isn't talked about and taught much anymore in boxing and it's one of the most important things you need to be aware of. Salido needs to cut distance and JuanMa needs to keep it.

If JuanMa fights from the outside, uses his speed and quickness, jabs and keeps moving....he can make a very difficult night for Salido. Now whether or not he can do it for 12 rounds is yet to be seen and I think JuanMa's own temperament goes against him. He gets hit and he comes forward, something that shows he's a fighter but something he can't afford to do and might not be able to help himself with.

I have a feeling JuanMa wins via UD. Plus Salido needs a KO again to really have a chance to win because they aren't going to give him a decision in PR, no way.

Comment

Originally posted by William Blake View Post

Same here man

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
              I agree with you that Lopez is given much more credit for being in "control" of the fight, much more than I see on video but I do think he can outbox Salido if he plays it smart.

Distance is something that isn't talked about and taught much anymore in boxing and it's one of the most important things you need to be aware of. Salido needs to cut distance and JuanMa needs to keep it.

If JuanMa fights from the outside, uses his speed and quickness, jabs and keeps moving....he can make a very difficult night for Salido. Now whether or not he can do it for 12 rounds is yet to be seen and I think JuanMa's own temperament goes against him. He gets hit and he comes forward, something that shows he's a fighter but something he can't afford to do and might not be able to help himself with.

I have a feeling JuanMa wins via UD. Plus Salido needs a KO again to really have a chance to win because they aren't going to give him a decision in PR, no way.
              Agree he could win a decision fairly comfortably over Salido but he has a tendency to want to slug it out when he gets tagged hard.

He may start off boxing well but the guy he is I think will get him sucked into Salido's game and probably get him stopped again.

Comment

Originally posted by William Blake View Post

Talking about Saturday, does anybody know if Showtime will show pre-lim fights before the main event? I think boxing should steal that page from MMA.

PRPP

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
                  Agree he could win a decision fairly comfortably over Salido but he has a tendency to want to slug it out when he gets tagged hard.

He may start off boxing well but the guy he is I think will get him sucked into Salido's game and probably get him stopped again.
                  Yea, I think it's a shame that this fight is taking place in PR though, as a matter of fact it's a crime. I understand why it's in PR because it's the best money for Salido and that shows the sad state of boxing right now. They can't generate enough interest in this fight in Las Vegas? Or somewhere else in the U.S?

They are scared to do shows in Mexico and JuanMa would never travel to Mexico in a million years.

If Salido doesn't get the KO he's losing via decision no matter what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
                    Yea, I think it's a shame that this fight is taking place in PR though, as a matter of fact it's a crime. I understand why it's in PR because it's the best money for Salido and that shows the sad state of boxing right now. They can't generate enough interest in this fight in Las Vegas? Or somewhere else in the U.S?

They are scared to do shows in Mexico and JuanMa would never travel to Mexico in a million years.

If Salido doesn't get the KO he's losing via decision no matter what happens
                    Its not like PR is known for having bad decisions. They've always been reputable. I don't think that is a fair and qualifying statement

And who is 'they'? Ivan Calderon traveled down there to Mexico even though more $ would have been generated in PR.

Comment

Working...
                    X