No announcement yet.

Is it that Puertorican fighers are chinny and weak or

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it that Puertorican fighers are chinny and weak or

maybe they are not training them right in Boricua land?

I know it might sound offensive, but it is the truth though. Look at Cotto and Lopez. These guys have very little punch resilience. Tito got floored a couple of times and stopped once but I am not sure maybe it's the training in Puerto Rico as Tito lost every second of every minute of every round against Winky, which was beyond ridiculous!

Back in the day Carlos Ortiz was the man, but I can't think of any other fighter from the country that really does have good punch resilience. But again is it their defense, Calderon is pretty good defensively but when he gets hit he gets weak. Is it the chins, the food or the training? Why Puerto Rican fighters don't have the punch resilience?

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
    maybe they are not training them right in Boricua land?

I know it might sound offensive, but it is the truth though. Look at Cotto and Lopez. These guys have very little punch resilience. Tito got floored a couple of times and stopped once but I am not sure maybe it's the training in Puerto Rico as Tito lost every second of every minute of every round against Winky, which was beyond ridiculous!

Back in the day Carlos Ortiz was the man, but I can't think of any other fighter from the country that really does have good punch resilience. But again is it their defense, Calderon is pretty good defensively but when he gets hit he gets weak. Is it the chins, the food or the training? Why Puerto Rican fighters don't have the punch resilience?
    LOL Cotto have a chin and so does lopez, did you watch him against salido. Damn he took them shots and kept coming

Comment

I honestly think it's genetic.

Straight up, Mexicans have great chins. There are exceptions, obviously, but we see it consistently enough for it to be clear.

I think it could also be the way their trained. They come up as FIGHTERS from a young age. There's a mentality behind how they fight and train that differs on a fundamental level from Puerto Ricans.

Mexicans are brought up with the mentality that getting hit is a big part of the sport, while Puerto Ricans are brought up to box more so they have a different mentality ingrained in their heads.

Most of it is genetic, but I'm sure some of it is how they're developed.

Comment

Originally posted by kimmiblob View Post
        LOL Cotto have a chin and so does lopez, did you watch him against salido. Damn he took them shots and kept coming
        Punch resilience is a little different. Lopez has the chin but every time he gets tagged clean his whole body goes weak. Cotto is the same way, he gets shook whether he gets hit by Malignaggi, Pacman, Clottey, Margartio or some little wild Colombian.

Comment

Originally posted by savorduhflavor View Post
          I honestly think it's genetic.

Straight up, Mexicans have great chins. There are exceptions, obviously, but we see it consistently enough for it to be clear.

I think it could also be the way their trained. They come up as FIGHTERS from a young age. There's a mentality behind how they fight and train that differs on a fundamental level from Puerto Ricans.

Mexicans are brought up with the mentality that getting hit is a big part of the sport, while Puerto Ricans are brought up to box more so they have a different mentality ingrained in their heads.
          That's what I lean on to as well but I really don't know, I just know that every time a great Puertorican fighter come along, his punch resistance will betray him. Look at Pacman's punch resistance and Cotto's in their fight. Pacman ate Cotto's shots like they were nothing. Cotto can't even eat Paulie's shots right and Pacman came from the low weight class.

Comment

puerto ricans cant deal with pressure fighters

Comment

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
              That's what I lean on to as well but I really don't know, I just know that every time a great Puertorican fighter come along, his punch resistance will betray him. Look at Pacman's punch resistance and Cotto's in their fight. Pacman ate Cotto's shots like they were nothing. Cotto can't even eat Paulie's shots right and Pacman came from the low weight class.
              Plenty of questionable chinned Mexican fighters. Johnny Gonzalez, Rafael Marquez, Canelo, Ortiz, Antillion, Solis, Burgos, Ponce.

They have a bigger pool of fighters.

But I think Cotto has a very good chin. Lopez has a ok chin.

Benitez had a good chin.

Comment

I think it is mental, those guys can take a punch but they all seem to get to a certain level they stop really trying to get better.

Juanma, Cotto and even Tito all had the same flaws throughout their careers even when they won inspite of them.

IF a guy only trains to attain a certain level without really pushing their limits to improve their craft, when faced with someone who can deal with their level they will always be forced to fold and they can't do a thing about it. They can try but it is a lost cause at that point unless someone has an eraser like Tito which is why he would be the best of the three.

It is a rare trait to constantly strive to be better even at the top, but I would have figured one would turn up recently in all the fine boxers from Puerto Rico.
                Last edited by The Gambler1981; 03-11-2012, 10:51 PM.

Comment

maybe its the food.

Comment

i know they eat rat. its like a delicacy over there.

Comment

Working...
                    X