No announcement yet.

Ortiz looked sharp last night

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tito_bandito View Post
    I've met Ortiz twice and I know his brother and sister pretty well, but the ppl that surround Ortiz don't make him stay focused on his job...I still believe Ortiz can be GREAT he has Pacquiao like qualities...I think he's the hardest puncher at 140 and has good speed, but what I don't like is how he didn't throw many punches he over did it with the body movement and could have used that energy to keep throwing combos but he didn't...he's not motivated and he doesn't realize that most the guys at 140 do NOT have Maidana's power so he can still be a preditor...140 is no longer his weight class he has no business in that division anymore...I think Nacho barestein can turn Ortiz into a top notch fighter he is a combo type of guy and Garcia can't teach him anything new...
    It's not all about new trainers,it has alot to do with the fighter..Sometime the fighter just is not able to live up to the hype..I believe a new trainer might make him look a lil better but in the end his mental makeup is gonna be his undoing..You say every fighter at 140lb does not hit like Maidana,but every top five fighter hits hard enough to keep ya honest..***** Peterson who is not known as a puncher was able to keep Ortiz honest..It's not his chin it's his mental Make-up Maidana really hurt Ortiz Career IMO..

Comment

he has the talent but might be mentally weak ala zab judah

Comment

He didn't fault under the pressure. It looked more to me like he was weight drained. The fact that he looked good in the beginning, and sluggish at the end shows this. His hands, feet, and all around defense were much slower than they usually are.

He would throw punches, miss, than stumble over. That shows how unresponsive his legs were. That was why he got countered so easily. If he had a history of that, than there's nothing I could say, but he obviously doesn't. Also, the fact he was so reluctant to throw in the clinches dispite having free hands (some of the time) shows he was too weak to do it. Proven by the fact he was by far the bigger man, and was still being pushed around. All that hopping in placed was him trying to assess the situation becuz he couldn't do anything about his physical weakness. That why in round 10 he looked the way he did, he had to put the pressure on Peterson right away becuz once Peterson got some distance, he wouldn't be able to get him again.

Another sign was when Peterson was throwing a combination in one of the rounds, he didn't even attempt to get out of the way which showed that Peterson's punches hardly bothered him if at all, he was just too weak to care. He needs to move up to 147. Maybe a rematch at a catchweight or something.
        Last edited by JDezi4; 12-12-2010, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by romebyko View Post
          It's not all about new trainers,it has alot to do with the fighter..Sometime the fighter just is not able to live up to the hype..I believe a new trainer might make him look a lil better but in the end his mental makeup is gonna be his undoing..You say every fighter at 140lb does not hit like Maidana,but every top five fighter hits hard enough to keep ya honest..***** Peterson who is not known as a puncher was able to keep Ortiz honest..It's not his chin it's his mental Make-up Maidana really hurt Ortiz Career IMO..
          You think a rematch with Maidana at 142 will help him? I agree with you at some extent...Ortiz just hates being hit, but at the same time he's easy to figure out he makes himself a wide target because he squares up instead of being flat...and that Jab is aweful!!! I think that Maidana ruined him mentally and if Ortiz hadn't quit he would have been worse than what we saw lastnight...I see three things Ortiz needs to change which is 1.) the move to 147, 2.) new trainer, and 3.) he needs to get his head right about recieving punishment...someone needs to talk to him or motivate this kid...someone like Marquez should just talk **** to Ortiz and really let him know that a punch won't kill him...he needs to be smart

Comment

Ortiz was sharp last night - he was able to block Peterson's counter punches with his face all night...

Comment

Ortiz is a bum and a KO waiting to happen

Comment

I t was difficult to watch that fight with no sound

Comment

Petersons got excellent ability but is so negative due to his lack of power, clinching as much as he could, even when he couldn't miss with the counters
                  The Ortiz from the early rounds would give Khan trouble, but if he fades like that again he won't beat any of the top 140lbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Casual View Post
                    In the first 3 rounds that is. Ortiz looked really impressive, sharp, accurate, smooth, and good footwork, (honestly) he boxed beautifully. But let me finish, he completely threw away everything that worked for him in the later rounds, the pressure got to him, and he crumbled under it yet again. Ortiz didn't relish the chance to put his opponent to bed in the early stages, in fact Peterson looked like he had enough at one period, as he couldn't deal with the speed and skill of Ortiz.

Ortiz has everything in physical attributes, everything is there for him to be a force but they're is just one problem: His will and desire to take him to the top. This kid really lacks the attributes of a champion..

Ortiz has world class skills, i'm not afraid to say it. Those first 3 rounds were perfection, the sudden change in mentality affected him big time. I just hope Ortiz can sort the underlying problem, as he's soon turning into a Judah alike fighter.
                    Ortiz was outboxed pretty soundly.

Comment

I think if Peterson had a little more pop ala Maidana the fight would have had a completely different outcome.

What saved Ortiz was his weight advantage; I mean I can’t take away from his skills (i.e. footwork and decent head movement) but he’s still seems shy to engage when his opponent is hurt.

To see Peterson walk down Ortiz the way he did when it was Peterson on the receiving end of the heavier blows was very telling.

Comment

Working...
                      X