Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Scully on Dawson: “He sort of turned a corner in his life”

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Scully on Dawson: “He sort of turned a corner in his life”

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - John Scully’s name has been out there for years.

He was an in-ring professional for 13 years and challenged for two world titles, and his dubbed-in voice is recognizable as a color analyst alongside Joe Tessitore on the ESPN Classic Boxing Series.

But he’s more recently made news as the trainer – and now ex-trainer – of light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson, whose drop in weight to meet super middleweight kingpin Andre Ward last September ended disastrously in the form of a 10th-round TKO loss.

The two parted company afterward and Dawson announced in January that he’d return to the camp of another 175-pound claimant, Eddie Mustafa Muhammad, with whom he’d worked previously along with others including Emanuel Steward, Dan Birmingham and Floyd Mayweather Sr.

Scully said the two haven’t spoken since the night of the Ward fight.

“It's not that I hold any grudge or anything like that, and it's not that I didn't try to reach him, either,” he said. “As it stands, I just choose to do as he does and consider it like our relationship never existed.”

The trainer was not at all shy about criticizing his ex-client’s decision to take the fight at 168, rather than demanding that Ward move up to challenge him for his title at 175.

“Taking that fight at 168 and choosing to make the weight in the manner that he was made to do so was a huge mistake. There is no disputing that and he knows that,” Scully said. “Everyone saw that fight and people who know about such things certainly know that it was. If making the weight was no big deal, he'd still be fighting at that weight. But it doesn't take a genius to know that he will never ever even consider going down to the much more lucrative 168 again. That's all the proof I need.” [Click Here To Read More]

Great interview and nice hearing about Scully's opinions on his own career and not just the highly publizied break with Chad Dawson.

Good read.

Comment

Good article. I liked the questions Lyle asked.

Comment

Great stuff from Scully as always. That dude genuinely has boxing running through his veins. He loves being around it. He's like the white Roger Mayweather.......lol

Comment

Disappointed how Dawson handled this whole thing.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Scully interviews are always damn good!!!

Comment

Typical

Originally posted by DLT View Post
              He loves being around it. He's like the white Roger Mayweather.......lol

No he is NOT.

I just checked the WBC, WBA, IBF and the WBO champions and their top ten fighters in each organization from heavyweight down to strawweight....none of them are trained by Scully.

Comment

too bad Dawson and Scully couldn't end their relationship amicably. Dawson has to know that it wasn't Scully's fault he lost that fight.... making 168 is what killed him and made him look pathetic

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
                  Great stuff from Scully as always. That dude genuinely has boxing running through his veins. He loves being around it. He's like the white Roger Mayweather.......lol
                  "Man, you ain't never seen a white man that can train no fighter. I ain't never seen a white fighter that can train nobody as far as i'm concerned."

-Roger Mayweather

Comment

Roger, sit down and think who was YOUR trainer???? Duh!
                    Sometimes these exfighter/trainers think they were "born" in boxing!! Everyone is taught by someone or influenced by a few! Roger & Floyd Sr. were good fighters and their both good trainers but without Floyd Jr. they'd be good trainers just like 75% of the trainers out there! The only think special about them is Floyd Jr.!!!!! Ray.

duh!!! your past trainer Jesse, is a white guy!

Comment

Working...
                    X