Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lose weight (including muscle mass) but keep or even increase power?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by halffttime View Post
    what's do you think your lean (at 10%) body weight is? what's your lift stats?

i go to the gym mondays to thursdays. exercises are in order of execution..

monday- chest
    4 sets of bench press (usually 5-7 reps, i'll do a single or two now and then)
    4 sets of flat dumbbell
    4 sets of incline dumbbell
    3 sets of cable crossovers

tuesday - back
    6-8 sets of deadlifts
    4 sets of straight bar cable pulldowns
    4 sets of machine pull
    4 sets of freemotion cable pulldowns superset with 4 sets of another different angled cable pulldown

wednesday - arms
    4-5 sets of dumbbell shoulder press
    4 sets of machine lateral flies
    3 sets of bent over lateral flies
    3-4 sets of dumbbell curls
    3-4 sets of concentration curls

thursday - legs
    5-7 sets of squats
    5-7 sets of leg press machine
    (..and on occasions i do)
    3 sets with hamstring machine
    3 sets with machine where you kick one leg back

i feel like my leg workouts are lacking the most. at the same time, i do spend about 45 minutes in the studio room doing all kinds of conditioning stuff after every workout. i used to hate doing back and it used to be my weakness, now i look forward to back days. i don't do much core also, i feel i get more than enough core workout from the deadlifts.

when i get under 180lbs and closer to my goal weight i'll probably toss everything out except deadlifts and squats. then i'll probably start doing olympic style lifting as well. and of course a bunch of conditioning...

My opinion; Total overkill & would have a rest day, mid-week.

Arm day is shoulders & biceps. There is nothing there that will particularly work your triceps (which take up 2/3rds of your 'bicep' size)

That is overkill on your biceps, they're only a very small muscle group and probably the easiest muscle to overtrain. They're small and you hit them with just about every other lift you do. Believe it or not, many see great gains when not training their biceps or doing very little (maybe 3 sets of say barbell curls per week) Myself included. I used to blast the hell out of them and seen virtually nothing, I focused more on my triceps & made decent progress.

I'd look at a two day split routine.
    Day 1. Chest & triceps
    Day 2. Back & biceps
    Day 3. Day off/rest
    Day 4. Shoulders/traps/neck (don't have to train neck but I would if you don't want to look out of proportion)
    day 5. Legs
    Day 6 & 7. Rest/off

If you want to maximize fat-loss, I really would strongly suggest adding cardio.

Whether you're looking to lose weight or add muscle mass, diet is critical. If your diet isn't upto scratch then you will see very little in terms of gains. Get plenty of rest/sleep, drink plenty of water. If you can stomach it get some cranberry juice down you, its very high in anti-oxidants and great for the kidneys and has numerous health benefits.

You haven't posted your diet, I only scanned & see zero advice. Your body is like a car, without the right fuel, you ain't getting very far.

Its all well and good saying I'm cutting on 1800 cals or bulking on 3,800 cals but what from?
    Diet, sleep, gym all three go hand-in-hand. Without one, you aren't going to get great results.
    I can not stress enough; diet is key.

Comment

reply to hayz ^

no offense taken, i know i'm heavy and i am trying to lose it. like i said earlier i've been trying to lose this for a while now and it's only until these past 2 weeks where i've noticed it on the scale.

when i first started going to the gym again, i'll admit i lacked big time in cardio. since i've got back on the skip rope (back when i was 18 this is how i got to 170lbs), and i'm in love with it again. i find myself doing some new "tricks" and picked it up pretty fast, although i gotta pick up more speed and gotta stop missing the rope. also, one other thing i haven't mentioned yet is i'm recovering from a knee injury. this past june i twisted it and couldn't walk for a good month. no broken bones, just a torn ligament (i think?). there is still a feeling of discomfort and very minor pain on it, i feel it mostly on lateral movements. it also prevents me atleast for now, to run FULL SPEED.

diet. my diet has been pretty consistent since the holidays. in terms of knowledge diet is my weakness. i'm definitely eating under maintenance if i had to guess, probably under 500cals right now. i take a protein shake, eat mostly chicken/fish/beef, i try to stay with brown carbs but once a day i will have a small portion of white rice (can't resist that *****). i'm taking multivitamin, ultra fiber, and fish oil as well. i'm eating low carbs right now and starting to feel it in my workouts. the energy is there, but i'm not feeling as strong as i feel i should be (except for deadlifts). i don't know if i mentioned earlier but i believe i also have a very slow metabolism.

here's exactly how my day went today:

brunch - boiled 7 ounce chicken, 1 and a half slice of brown pita bread
      snack - 2 scoops of protein shake
      pre gym - small portion of white rice, about 8 ounces of tilapia
      post gym - about 1 cup of cottage cheese, half a slice of brown pita bread

3pm - 30 minute skip rope
      930pm - shoulder workout for 45 minutes, skip rope for an hour
      You will defo lose weight simply because of how little you are eating and how much below you are to the usual calories needed a day between 1800-2000. 500 is nothing mate, you can definitely eat more than that and lose weight especially because you are already at a high weight, so trying to maintain your current weight you would need calories well in excess of 2000. If I was you, I'd get to about 1500-1600 calories (IF you don't want to sacrifice your muscle mass/strength) because your body will wear out because you simply aren't getting enough nutrients in you. Get some tuna, some vegetables, PLENTY of water (if your body is dehydrated you will burn fat a lot slower), some salmon, some fruit. You can have some white rice aslong as it fits in your macros which it most def does at the moment. MAKE sure you are having enough protein though and ensure you have enough carbs to get you through your workout and at least so you don't feel dead all the time, you need fats as well because if you lack fat in your diet then it decreases your testosterone.

You would be burning a lot of those calories that you are taking in also, so if you only consume 500 calories and you work out, your body will break down sooner or later. Get some more quality food in you, introduce cardio and since your knee is hurting maybe try swimming or the crosstrainer/bike/heavy bag which put less pressure on your knee compared to the standard skipping/treadmill.

You have a good work ethic though, good to see.

Comment

^ thanks for the replies guys. those were both long thought out responses i really appreciate it..

reply to dan_cov:
        about the biceps, i know exactly what you mean. i don't know know why i listed it there, but at most i'll either skip it or spend 10 minutes on it. yesterday for example was arm day, but i didn't do biceps at all. about the triceps, i must have forgot to list it but i do them after my chest workout.
        about more rest days, at this point i don't think it's worth it. i've got a long way to go at the moment, and i don't see the point of taking a day off. i do strongly agree with you in terms of the cardio though.

reply to hayZ:
        like i mentioned earlier, diet is where i'm lacking the most in knowledge. i know all about macros, carbs for energy, difference between brown and white, protein obviously, etc. thinking about it, maybe not lacking knowledge, but actually lacking the disciple to calculate my daily macros...

UPDATE:
        I couldn't sleep last night. I got home around 1am from the gym, and was feeling hyped when i got home as usual. I should also aware you guys I'm taking 2 doses of ec stack as well. I spent the time until 4am basically reading up more on boxing, watching videos on techniques, etc. I woke up at 8:30am this morning, not feeling like that tired surprisingly. I left my front door at 9:30am and didn't get back until 11:00am. I just looked at googlemaps and the distance i jogged/walked was about 4.5 miles. Jogging is something I've always hated. The temperature outside(toronto) is -12celsius. To be honest i must have jogged a third of that and walked the other two thirds. I HAVE TO QUIT THE CIGS. On the second half of the jog going home, I started feeling the pain in my knee again. I could push through it and keep jogging but I'm legitly afraid of re-injuring it. The back of the knee started stiffening and feeling really tight. I originally injured it swinging a bat, playing baseball for the first time in 6-7 years. It was torque motion, no broken bones, just a torn ligament that caused it to swell up.

also, i bought a speedbag yesterday.

another also, do you guys have any tips on cramping and sore calves?

i will post up videos and pics when the time comes.

Comment

also for diet, i don't have a set diet everyday but more often than not i'll take in the same macros just different food. i definitely lack in veggies... i don't mind eating them but i for some strange reason i just never got around to going out of my way for them. i will go on a salad craze now and then, but that's it. that is why i take ultra fiber for.

this an example of today's diet.

for breakfast i had:
          1 can of salmon (240cal,37gram of protein), half a slice of pita (60cal), with shawarma sauce (50cal)

for lunch i just had:
          1 can of salmon (240cal,37gram of protein) w/ shawarma sauce again, a slice of pita (120cal), half a cup of cottage cheese, 2 glasses of protein blend with banana.

my next meal will be before going to the gym:
          i'll probably have either a slice of pita again or maybe white rice, with whatever my mom will cook.

after the gym:
          some more cottage cheese, and maybe a glass of protein shake

This is actually around 300 or so calories more than i've been having the past 2 weeks. today is leg day though, and also doing some sets with the deadlifts so i'm going to need the energy.

Comment

this is my daily routine i wrote up. i doubt i'll follow it up to a tee, but you get the point. I won't be back to work until April, that's why I have all the time in the world right now.

9am 10 MINUTES NON-STOP SKIP ROPE, 4 MILE JOGT

10am SHADOW BOXING

1030am BREAKFAST

2pm FLOOR WORK - STRETCHING, SITUPS(200), PUSHUPS(200)

3pm LUNCH

5pm SHADOW BOXING

9pm PRE-GYM SNACK

10pm GYM

2am SLEEP

I feel like a total noob shadowboxing, I was doing it at the cardio room last night and did better than expected footwork wise. I have to swith up my stance though, I'm right handed but bouncing around in a southpaw stance, The right jab is just so comforatble for me.
            Last edited by halffttime; 01-24-2013, 01:07 PM.

Comment

this is my daily routine i wrote up. i doubt i'll follow it up to a tee, but you get the point. I won't be back to work until April, that's why I have all the time in the world right now.

9am 10 MINUTES NON-STOP SKIP ROPE, 4 MILE JOGT

10am SHADOW BOXING

1030am BREAKFAST

2pm FLOOR WORK - STRETCHING, SITUPS(200), PUSHUPS(200)

3pm LUNCH

5pm SHADOW BOXING

9pm PRE-GYM SNACK

10pm GYM

2am SLEEP

I feel like a total noob shadowboxing, I was doing it at the cardio room last night and did better than expected footwork wise. I have to swith up my stance though, I'm right handed but bouncing around in a southpaw stance, The right jab is just so comforatble for me.
              Dude trust me, me and you are in a very similar boat. I hate veggies, can't really be bother or am unable to calculate calories because not everything has the info on it that I end up consuming. Yeah the right jab feels smooth for me but I started on the heavybag about 3 weeks ago and my jab and overall use of the left hand has become a lot stronger, I use it nearly twice as much as my power hand because the jab and left hand just sets up the power hand nicely.

Comment

update:

the speedbag is slowly starting to make sense to me, my right hand is starting to understand the rythym but i can't say for the left. i should probably stop with the right hand and just focus on my left since i am right handed.

yesterday was leg day at the gym. i went into the gym limping because like i mentioned earlier my right knee got stiff jogging. i didn't go hard on the squats and instead focused my energy on the leg press. after that i spend about 40 minutes skip roping once again.

both knees are starting to feel the constant pressure i've been putting on them skip roping. is this something i should fight through? or should i go soft on the knees a bit? any advice on the knees?

Comment

i've decided to make this thread my training log:

i've decided that for the next two weeks, i'm going to drop the weight, go on a strict diet, and kill it with cardio. it'll be interesting how dedicated and true to this program i'll actually be at the end of this two weeks.

i spent about 3-4 hours on the speedbag today, it's my second day. i've made some crazy progress, i've really got the rythym down and at some point it was automatic. my wrists are a bit sore from all that hitting and i can feel the outside of my right hand starting to swell. do you guys use wraps or some kind of gloves when you hit the speedbag?

i will see if i can upload a video of me on the speedbag tommorow. again, this is only my second day..

Comment

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles...htraining.html

Comment

Working...
                    X