Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jack Johnson or Rocky Marciano, who ranks higher at HW?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Johnson or Rocky Marciano, who ranks higher at HW?

what are your opinions?

Johnson, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      Johnson, IMO.
      Who's title run do you feel is more impressive?

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
        Who's title run do you feel is more impressive?
        Probably Marciano's.

Comment

personally I would say Marciano. His wins over Walcott, Charles, and Louis...although they might have been old...are imo better than Johnson's wins over green versions of McVea, Jeanette and a 156lb version of Langford.

And his win over Moore is substantially better than any of the wins Johnson has over guys that weighed less than 180lbs.

but its debatable.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Probably Marciano's.
            So I take it you feel it is the pre-title runs that separate them?

Understandable as Rocky obviously doesn't have a lot of depth to his pre-title run. Even though Johnson's isn't extraordinary he does have names and decent contenders of the era on there and beat a lot of them multiple times and truly seemed to dominate.

Whereas Marciano only had about 6 wins leading up to his title shot, Last fight versions of Savold and Louis and Roland LaStarza(controversy) being among his best but, not overly good wins. Rex Layne is a half decent win though

Mattews might be the best win on Rocky's resume, despite his only decent work at HW being defeating Rex Layne essentially.

I agree Johnson beats him in the pre-title stakes.

It is a close cut difference, I think I would edge with Rocky though, overall. I think his title run is clearly in front.

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
              personally I would say Marciano. His wins over Walcott, Charles, and Louis...although they might have been old...are imo better than Johnson's wins over green versions of McVea, Jeanette and a 156lb version of Langford.

And his win over Moore is substantially better than any of the wins Johnson has over guys that weighed less than 180lbs.

but its debatable.
              If he had those wins over prime Jeanette and McVey which (from viewing Jeanette anyway.) I feel he could have easily gotten and absolutely enhanced his resume.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                So I take it you feel it is the pre-title runs that separate them?

Understandable as Rocky obviously doesn't have a lot of depth to his pre-title run. Even though Johnson's isn't extraordinary he does have names and decent contenders of the era on there and beat a lot of them multiple times and truly seemed to dominate.

Whereas Marciano only had about 6 wins leading up to his title shot, Last fight versions of Savold and Louis and Roland LaStarza(controversy) being among his best but, not overly good wins. Rex Layne is a half decent win though

Mattews might be the best win on Rocky's resume, despite his only decent work at HW being defeating Rex Layne essentially.

I agree Johnson beats him in the pre-title stakes.

It is a close cut difference, I think I would edge with Rocky though, overall. I think his title run is clearly in front.
                Yeah, the pre title run.

He beat good fighters albeit he was bigger and some were green but I think they are good wins none the less.

It's pretty close I guess.

Comment

Marciano clearly in my opinion. He showed the ability to come back when he absolutely needed to and he has better names on the resume. Yes, as stated they were older but the names on the resume matter. I also think Rocky's skills were extremely underrated and I take their skill sets into account.

Comment

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
                    Marciano clearly in my opinion. He showed the ability to come back when he absolutely needed to and he has better names on the resume. Yes, as stated they were older but the names on the resume matter. I also think Rocky's skills were extremely underrated and I take their skill sets into account.
                    Relative to the era Johnson's skills are of a higher level than Rocky's in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                    X