No announcement yet.

Pernell Whitaker vs Floyd Mayweather jr

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marcov View Post
    When two defensive fighters meet it makes for slow fights. Still Whitaker is in another class.
    Ridiculous statement.

Comment

Originally posted by davemurphy View Post
      Whitaker was a little bit faster IMO, but to be bluntly honest the result would depend on whether your talking Whitaker pre-Crack Pipe and Booze.
      I sometimes think that is really what most ppl refer to here as Pea at 35, Floyd at 47.

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
        I think jabbing if Pea jabs would be the simple thing to do, especially with a reach advantage, and Floyd would not fail to do so. And i don't see that jabbing contest last very long.

I'd agree, that would be the best strategy for Floyd.

Problem is, I'd fancy that Whitaker's jab might just be that shade faster than Floyd's, it could be difficult to time and he tended to throw it in twos and threes.......which is something that Floyd rarely does.

Floyd does have a superb jab when he really uses it.....to head and body. It certainly looks to have more weight behind it than Whitaker's. It just seems to me that Floyd could use the jab much more in certain fights where I would expect it to be key.

Maybe, it would form part of his strategy for Whitaker. But its a nasty matchup for him regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          I'd agree, that would be the best strategy for Floyd.

Problem is, I'd fancy that Whitaker's jab might just be that shade faster than Floyd's, it could be difficult to time and he tended to throw it in twos and threes.......which is something that Floyd rarely does.

Floyd does have a superb jab when he really uses it.....to head and body. It certainly looks to have more weight behind it than Whitaker's. It just seems to me that Floyd could use the jab much more in certain fights where I would expect it to be key.

Maybe, it would form part of his strategy for Whitaker. But its a nasty matchup for him regardless.
          I think the speed would be compensated by arm length and that's why he would use it if needed. Just as PBF can neglect jabbing with most of his opposition, Pea could act regardless of reach disadvantages with most of his opposition, but they would be very different beasts than what they are used to. In my mind the jabs would neglect each other, so they would both be looking for other ways to win, and credible alternatives are for PBF to come forward and Pea to stay close, that's why i don't think it would be boring.

This should favor Pea, and I would bet on him, if only he had PBF's ability to focus and not clown around. Too bad he does not, so while I would pick Pea to win if forced to pick someone, I would not put money on this fight.

Comment

Originally posted by davemurphy View Post
            Whitaker was a little bit faster IMO, but to be bluntly honest the result would depend on whether your talking Whitaker pre-Crack Pipe and Booze.
            I'm using Whitaker during his his best period at 147 which would be the Chavez and McGirt fights. I don't believe he had a drug problem during that period. In my opinion Mayweather is better at 147 than Whitaker was. After further reviewing this, I would favor Mayweather at 140-147. But it's definitely Whitaker at 135. I would have a hard time picking any fighter in history to beat Whitaker at 135.

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
              I think the speed would be compensated by arm length and that's why he would use it if needed. Just as PBF can neglect jabbing with most of his opposition, Pea could act regardless of reach disadvantages with most of his opposition, but they would be very different beasts than what they are used to. In my mind the jabs would neglect each other, so they would both be looking for other ways to win, and credible alternatives are for PBF to come forward and Pea to stay close, that's why i don't think it would be boring.

This should favor Pea, and I would bet on him, if only he had PBF's ability to focus and not clown around. Too bad he does not, so while I would pick Pea to win if forced to pick someone, I would not put money on this fight.

Yep, definitely not one I'd be betting on! Although I might chance a fiver on the draw at 33:1.

Comment

Pernell at 135, Floyd at 147. Both in close fights.

Comment

Originally posted by FenechJeff
                  these two monkeys
                  Reported for racism ,,!,,

Comment

Originally posted by kendom View Post
                    If anybody could it would be Pernell Whitaker
                    My take on the fight exactly. Close, hard to score, not very casual fan friendly (but with a lot to pick apart for us boxing nerds) - and Whitaker coming out on top.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                      Reported for racism ,,!,,
                      How has this joker not been banned yet? Every day, I seem him calling a black fighter some kind of racial slur. Not even like veiled racism, just good, old-fashioned hick racism.

Comment

Working...
                      X