No announcement yet.

another fast twitch question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another fast twitch question

Theres a real theme goin in the forum, why spoil it.

Heavy weights low reps (weve already covered this) help develop fast twitch fibres. So what about just moving as fast as you can a few times, rest, and do it again (resting just to keep the slow twitch from doing any work)?

Or would speed have more to do with CNS adaptions (your brain tells your hand to go faster so it does)?

not sure how to answer this question scientifically but the only thing that comes to mind is when asked how he learned to kick so fast bruce lee said "by kicking fast"

Comment

Originally posted by mkm88414 View Post
      not sure how to answer this question scientifically but the only thing that comes to mind is when asked how he learned to kick so fast bruce lee said "by kicking fast"
      Yes, I think people are over analysing stuff here. Stick to the basics in nutrition and training and focus on developing technique.

Comment

Originally posted by Trrmo View Post
        Yes, I think people are over analysing stuff here. Stick to the basics in nutrition and training and focus on developing technique.
        It may be overanalyzing. For boxers. This is something that is very relevant to think about, learn, discuss, experiment with etc. for trainers. You'll want the best training for your fighters, technically and physically. I've seen first hand what both the wrong kind of training and the right kind can do to/for a fighter. It really does matter.

Landon S: It's a combination. I don't think anyone can tell you exactly how much each factor weighs in this, and as far as I've experienced it is probably pretty individual as well.

PS: CNS adaptations are not so much that your brain tells your hand to go faster as it is the motor units that are activated in higher numbers, and the firing sequence to the muscle that is increased in both speed and intensity.
        When you see a new guy bench press, and he's holding it up but shaking, that is the firing speed which isn't up to par with the muscle contraction needed. Two or three workouts, and that shaking is gone. CNS adaptation for all to see. That is a big part of why people get relatively a lot stronger in the beginning.
        Last edited by PunchDrunk; 07-16-2008, 01:24 PM.

Comment

I thought this was a boxing forum not a science class I personally dont touch the weights they slow you down.

Comment

Yes it is over analyzing if you only box but Im starting college to become a personal trainer (as well as boxing) so some day it will be my business to know.

So if you can get the CNS to activate the more motor units at one time and fire more often (think RPM's) then higher speed can be produced...as well as power obviously...like a V6 versus a Ferarri's V12

Dumb me, I knew all that, just didnt put it all together at the time. I guess sometimes it just takes someone else to remind you. Thanks for the help PunchDrunk.

Comment

Originally posted by Towelie View Post
              I thought this was a boxing forum not a science class.
              So how are the discussions on this training forum are supposed to go then?

-Hey guys! I want to get fast and strong what should I do?
              -Just lift weights and you'll get there.
              -Hmm? But many bodybuilders lift weights and it makes them slow. How does that work then?
              -I dont know LOL, just do it!

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael S View Post
                So how are the discussions on this training forum are supposed to go then?

-Hey guys! I want to get fast and strong what should I do?
                -Just lift weights and you'll get there.
                -Hmm? But many bodybuilders lift weights and it makes them slow. How does that work then?
                -I dont know LOL, just do it!
                Ummm..no? wtf get real kid. You could just explain it normally with out going on about the complete physics about how it works, and over analyzing the **** out of it....******.

Comment

read the Warrior Speed book because it is full of tips at maximising what nature already put there. The only bit I would disagree with him is his conditioning tips because excessive weights will make it hard for you to make the weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Towelie View Post
                    Ummm..no? wtf get real kid. You could just explain it normally with out going on about the complete physics about how it works, and over analyzing the **** out of it....******.
                    Sorry if we make you feel stupid, but knowledge is king.

Comment

Working...
                    X