Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Julio Cesar Chavez overrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He was great. His determination and steady body attack were amazing. Underrated boxer as well. Perhaps the Whitaker fight takes away from his legacy but before that and even after he had some great wins. I don't think theres any question about the quality of his opposition as superweight, lightweight and light welterweight champion.

Comment

Yes...........

Comment

Originally posted by DWiens421 View Post
        I totally get what you are saying. I'm wildly embarrassed by things I said here three years ago when I started following the sport.

I will say that Meldrick Taylor was Taylor-made (LOL) to beat Chavez, and Chavez found a way to take him out.

I like you a lot, but you are a bit too defensive though... the first paragraph concedes that you were wrong back then, which is totally respectable. I will always respect those who change their opinion based on what they learn. But the last paragraph is a giant **** off, because someone questioned you. The big knock on you around these boards is that you are too pretentious, and have a wild desire to always be right. It's cool to let go and tell people that you were wrong at one point, learned things about the sport and have gotten a more educated opinion.

Some people think it is bad to be proven wrong... I find it worse to have studied something for 5 years and have learned nothing.
        Chavez beat Taylor though because Taylor beat himself, at least that's how I feel. Almost as if Taylor was so worried he would get robbed, he fought the completely wrong fight than he had to when the fight was in the bag for him.

There are two things you can not doubt Chavez, his chin and his heart. But I definitely think he's overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ryan View Post
          Julio Cesar Chavez was a guy who showed up, won titles at 130, 135, and 140 destroying everyone he fought. But the level of competition he fought wasn't all that strong, and he got gift decisions against Whitaker and Randall. When he quit against De La Hoya, everybody was shocked. But my thinking is that maybe he was a product of media and the fans making him into this superhuman fighter who had no fear, when in reality he was just as human as the guys he fought. I feel that he was lucky to get the stoppage against Taylor, and was certainly beatable if the right guy was in front of him. But I think his march to 100 wins thing was a little exxagerated given the level of competition he did it against. I think Azumah Nelson would've beaten him if they had fought. While I think Chavez was great, I think he was overrated by history as being indestructable.
          Chavez fanatics always make claim at how washed up Chavez was when he got destroyed by De La Hoya when Chavez was only 31 at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Science View Post
            Chavez fanatics always make claim at how washed up Chavez was when he got destroyed by De La Hoya when Chavez was only 31 at the time.
            He was partying too much and not training as hard at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
              Maybe he was but he isn't now. A record like 89-0 will make anyone look better than they are, not that Chavez wasn't great.

Sometimes he gets unjustly classified as a face-first brawler which he was far from. Before anyone says I'm exaggerating, watch ESPN's recent top 20 greatest fighters list. They ranked Chavez #19 yet said he was basically just a tough guy.
              - -Just to remind the kiddies here, The Great A was indeed great with the finest youtube collection of fights ever.

I gather he's much lighter after the big Tube crackdown a few years back.

Comment

Originally posted by Science View Post
                - -Anybody in boxing with over 90 fights still fighting greats then and now?

OK then, time to change U BigBoy trainers!

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                  He was partying too much and not training as hard at that point.
                  Was also fighting everyone and pretty battle tested by then.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                    Was also fighting everyone and pretty battle tested by then.
                    Yeah, Chavez had already made his legacy by that time.

He was clearly in decline. A peak Chavez never would have lost to Frankie Randall and that happened two years before the first Oscar fight.

Comment

I'll tell you this: I've seen stronger grips at his weight. He had some equalizers, though.

Comment

Working...
                      X