No announcement yet.

Roy Jones's master tactics against James Toney

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ImStillHere View Post
    1. James Toney was in terrible condition for this fight.

2. Where are you gonna find a Roy Jones type athlete?

3. Peolpe who have the nerve to discredit Floyds resume and big up Jones are out of there minds. He has the most carefully guided career ever. Im not gonna lie it was Roy Jones Jr (and Miguel Cotto) who got me into boxing. But when I learned what technique was i knew he wasn't all that. His best wins are a green Hopkins and as before mentioned an out of shape Toney.
    Hopkins wasn't green. Jones really was that good, he was barely into double figures when he stopped sugar boy malinga, this was a guy who went to the wire with Eubank twice (some thought he deserved the nod) and beat Nigel Benn.
    You just can't keep up that style into your 30's, pure reflexes & speed, first things to go, not to mention messing with that weight.
    Toney is one of my favourites but he's a bum for not getting tip top for the biggest fight of his career to that point, but Jones would've done any version of Toney.

Comment

Jones did say in an interview that he knew how to beat that style

Comment

God I hate watching this fight, I like Toney.

Comment

put them in a phone booth and see what happens.

Comment

he barely beat hopkins.....

it's actually a really close fight.... hbo was on jones' nuts....

but hopkins used the jab, doubled it..... got close and smuthered...

and roy did much of nothing, it wasn't great to watch but there was nothing in it....

get at me if you think different... i'll school you.

Comment

roy got taken to task by montell griffin.....

so he really wasn't all that great....

roy never had a jab....

watch him against griffin....

he tried to throw a jab.... but no one was home....

and griffin got low.... threw jones style punches and used his more proficient jab to really make a 'prime' jones look ordinary.....

Comment

RJJ was also ducked during his prime by Calzaghe, Eubanks and so on.

Comment

the truth is.... as skilled as james toney is..... and was....

he always tended to be inactive, and rely heavily on counter punching.....

his stamina wasn't the best, but he always had heart, so he could pull through like he did against nunn....

toney's lack activity = taylor made for roy....

a busier fighter, the version of toney that fought mccallum.... would have probably beaten jones....

timing's everything.... and jones lucked out... he got toney at the right time.

Comment

Originally posted by hayZ View Post
                    RJJ was also ducked during his prime by Calzaghe, Eubanks and so on.
                    gtfoh....

calzaghe wasn't even in the same division as jones when he rose to prominence....

Comment

Originally posted by James_Toney View Post
                      put them in a phone booth and see what happens.
                      Then it wouldn't be a boxing match would it James?

Ps. I heard that to stop Rockin from kicking your ass in sparring, cause he was much faster and better inside than you, you stuck your thumb up his ass in a clinch. Can you confirm this?

Comment

Working...
                      X