Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hopkins To Kovalev: Forget Oscar, Take it Out on Me!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Hopkins To Kovalev: Forget Oscar, Take it Out on Me!

It goes without saying that promoter Kathy Duva has done a masterful job in guiding the career of unbeaten light heavyweight Sergey Kovalev. In a span of two years, her Main Events promotional company has guided the Russian knockout artist from showcast spots on NBC Sports Network to championship fights and a headlining attraction on cable giant HBO.

However, it was Kovalev who revealed a little secret during a recent press conference to promote his November 8 unification bout with Bernard Hopkins at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City. The event, which will air live on HBO, will be co-promoted by Main Events and Golden Boy Promotions, but it turns out that Golden Boy could’ve had Kovalev all to itself once upon a time.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Anybody who has ever played any kind of sport thinks he the next Michael Jordan or Sugar Ray Robinson. When Kovalev made these comments to De La Hoya, he was a nobody trying to become somebody. He is still a nobody trying to become somebody and the only reason he has received the type of buildup that he has is because HBO stupidly decided to stop doing business with GBP after they lost Floyd Mayweather to Showtime. HBO did not have the GBP fighters to showcase, so they had to showcase the second-tier talent like Kovalev. He made the most of his opportunity. That is great for him.

On another note, at the time Kovalev approached Oscar, Oscar was not in charge of GBP. He was nothing more than a figurehead who collected the checks and spent all of his money on cocaine. So, Oscar had no authority to sign Kovalev at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by big_james10 View Post
      Anybody who has ever played any kind of sport thinks he the next Michael Jordan or Sugar Ray Robinson. When Kovalev made these comments to De La Hoya, he was a nobody trying to become somebody. He is still a nobody trying to become somebody and the only reason he has received the type of buildup that he has is because HBO stupidly decided to stop doing business with GBP after they lost Floyd Mayweather to Showtime. HBO did not have the GBP fighters to showcase, so they had to showcase the second-tier talent like Kovalev. He made the most of his opportunity. That is great for him.

On another note, at the time Kovalev approached Oscar, Oscar was not in charge of GBP. He was nothing more than a figurehead who collected the checks and spent all of his money on cocaine. So, Oscar had no authority to sign Kovalev at the time.
      sounded like hops was making more of an issue of it than kovalev was anyway. anything to help hype the fight I guess

Comment

Great post

Comment

Im picking hopkins to win this fight cuz i never seen him get hurt, but dont sleep on kovalev. He's a solid boxer with power and doesnt throw bolo shots like pavlik did.

Comment

All that needs to be said.

Comment

I'ma go up to Oscar and tell him to sign me, i'm the next big thing and he will regret it if he doesn't sign me. Hopefully he takes my word for it.

Comment

What Kovalev fails to realize was that he approached a "high" Oscar that day so you have to forgive him, he wasn't in his right mind obviously.

Comment

Seems like a small casual memory of Kovalev's being turned into a lame hype storyline. He just said he remembers talking to Oscar before he got big... OK.

It's a good fight on its own merit they don't need a forced sideplot.

Comment

Originally posted by AnnunakiJesus View Post
                    Seems like a small casual memory of Kovalev's being turned into a lame hype storyline. He just said he remembers talking to Oscar before he got big... OK.

It's a good fight on its own merit they don't need a forced sideplot.
                    This ^. It's a non-story. Klimas took Kovalev round all the significant promotions early in his US career and non of them wanted him. Even Duva took a bit of convincing (the Lonnie B fight) by all accounts. It's the story of many, probably most fighters... slugging their way round the circuit til they get talent spotted and picked up by a name promoter. It's only a small minority who luck out enough to get picked up very early in their careers.

Kovalev didn't have an easy path, but he eventually lucked out with the FNF slot which bought him to the attention of Duva, and then the title shot Vs Cleverly.

Knock enough guys out, though, and people will start to pay attention, so I guess it ain't all luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X