Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dan Henderson gets next title shot, Nate Marquardt vs. Demian Maia winner "in the mix

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan Henderson gets next title shot, Nate Marquardt vs. Demian Maia winner "in the mix

Dan Henderson gets next title shot, Nate Marquardt vs. Demian Maia winner "in the mix"

Dan Henderson will no longer fight Rich Franklin at UFC 103 and will instead get the first shot at UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva's title at an event to be determined.

During a UFC media conference call today, UFC president Dana White said he pulled Henderson from a previously announced rematch with Rich Franklin at the upcoming UFC 103 event because of the poor reaction it got from fans.

Franklin instead will fight new signee Vitor Belfort in the main event of UFC 103, which takes place Sept. 19 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas.

Belfort, who was slated to fight middleweight Jorge Santiago before the recent cancellation of the Aug. 1 "Affliction: Trilogy" event, will move to light heavyweight for the bout.

Henderson, who scored a vicious knockout of Michael Bisping at UFC 100, will now await the result of next weekend's fight between Silva and Forrest Griffin. The non-title co-headlines UFC 101, which takes place Aug. 8 in Philadelphia.

So when will Henderson get his next title shot?

"It depends on what happens next week," White said. "If [Silva] doesn't get busted or have injuries, it could be very soon."

Henderson (25-7 MMA, 5-2 UFC) first fought Silva (24-4 MMA, 9-0 UFC) in March 2008 at UFC 82. And though he became the first fighter to win a round against "The Spider" in the UFC, Henderson ultimately suffered a submission defeat in the following round.

Henderson has won three consecutive fights since the loss and got the added exposure of coaching opposite Bisping on the recent ninth season of "The Ultimate Fighter."

Henderson's guaranteed title shot, of course, means more waiting for undefeated contender Demian Maia (10-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) and former Silva challenger Nate Marquardt (28-8-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC), who meet at UFC 102 in late August. The winner could still get a title shot – they're "in the mix," White said – but with Silva booked to fight Griffin and now Henderson, the Marquardt-Maia winner is unlikely to get a title shot until early 2010 at the absolute soonest.

if that fight happens this year, I give Henderson a very good chance at winning, and heres why: Anderson has a fight next week at 205 pounds. He even had to lose weight for that fight because he apparently walks around at about 220 pounds now. So the fact that he had to drain to make light heavyweight, I can only imagine what he would have to do to make 185 pounds now especially with all that muscle he has packed on.

if there is one thing I've learned from boxing, losing muscle weight is very dangerous to your performance. losing fat doesn't negatively effect that much, but losing muscle weight will really make a fighter feel weak and drained during a fight.

If the fight happens this year, Anderson will have 3-4 months at most to lose that weight. I think Anderson will have trouble trying to shed those last couple of pounds, and about a week or 2 before the fight, he'll have to really keep dehydrated and hungry which will screw up his body. This will give Henderson a significant advantage on the ground. I think if all this happens, Henderson can not only win, but dominate Silva if he takes him to the ground.

Comment

Demian Maia is gonna take woopin in next fight.

HENDO vs NATE will be war!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope HENDO will win!

Comment

Originally posted by LA BAD BOY View Post
        Demian Maia is gonna take woopin in next fight.

HENDO vs NATE will be war!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope HENDO will win!
        maia will take whupping but still win via submission lol

Comment

hendo is hungry for another chance at the spider

Comment

The 7-1 man(loss to Rich Franklin of all people) #2 MW in the world still doesn't get his title shot.

Comment

Hitman Hendo has the best shot of beating Anderson the Beast Silva.

Comment

Originally posted by CottoFanatic View Post
                Hitman Hendo has the best shot of beating Anderson the Beast Silva.
                lol didnt hear that leading upto there first fight

Comment

Wanted Maia to be the next one but Hendo is allright by me.....

Comment

Originally posted by Stalaggh View Post
                    Wanted Maia to be the next one but Hendo is allright by me.....
                    Maia's striking needs to get better, his BJJ is sick but he's not as good on his feet as he needs to be, i'd rather see maia have a little more time to develop his skills

Comment

Working...
                    X