No announcement yet.

Quitting boxing for weight lifting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Layzie Kidd View Post
    I dont think your punching power is as great as you think it is. You look pretty contracted in your picture if that thats you. And if youre contracted youre not as fast also.

Lifting weights doesn't build punching power unless youre doing explosive work which you cant really do with heavy weights. Only time it'll benefit is if youre putting on massive weight with muscle.

From my experience women prefer the leaner look of a fighter. Since its proportionate, natural, contoured, and functional. Plus lifting weights and trying to be a fighter is more work in my opinion, you have to counter act all you did when you lift when youre training.

You cant really be both in my opinion. Youre either a fighter, or someone who wants to look good.
    I didn't mean my punching power was great, but I'd say it is superior to the average boxer who doesn't lift.

And I disagree. You CAN be both, you just have to make sure you don't neglect other parts of training. Just because I lift heavy doesn't mean I don't do cardio, doesn't man I'm inflexible, and doesn't mean I'm slow.

And I am pretty fast. I just ran a 4.55 40 the other day at 210 (after 3 knee surgeries), and I don't do ANY explosive work outside of plyos.

EDIT: As for women, believe it or not, personality actually matters. I'm kinda funny and I'm smart, and I'm like a 6-6.5/10, so that helps.
    Last edited by ZeeBrah; 10-10-2012, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Well I dont know about that, I've never seen you train. Maybe you could have above average skill compared to a boxer who doesnt lift, technique will always make you punch harder.

I'm not saying you cant do anything, being able to do constant cardio doesnt have to do much with lifting weights. Punching power, flexibilty, movent, speed, and what cant be at its best if you are contracted. I only said it because your picture looks fairly contracted.

Ultimately what I meant is that you can do both, but one will outweigh the other. You'll be someone who wants to look good who also happens to like fighting, or someone who likes fighting and as a result also looks good. Priorities type thing.

Personally the whole strategy thing, seeing who can outwit the other, and whos more conditioned puts boxing first, then I dont mind the benefit of looking good from it.

I dont think you can judge hand speed by how fast you can run during a certain period of time. I can run 4 miles in roughly 20. But that all depends on what I'm doing, if I'm running at a medium pace with sprints and what not. Many different methods of manners will yield different results.

Youre right about that. You should always do whatever you think looks good, because when you say **** it I'm doing whatever I want that gets respected more anyways.

Comment

the average boxer who doesnt lift lol wtf does weight lifting have to do with punching power, do u think dudes like felix trinidad spend all day in the weight room working there guns to feel the burn haha

Comment

Originally posted by HELLRAZAH View Post
          the average boxer who doesnt lift lol wtf does weight lifting have to do with punching power, do u think dudes like felix trinidad spend all day in the weight room working there guns to feel the burn haha
          Obviously you can have a fast, explosive punch without lifting weights...however, you can have a faster and more explosive punch by lifting weights.

Anyways, you don't think someone who has extreme core strength and can overhead press 300 pounds, and has good technique could probably punch harder than someone with extreme core strength, good technique, but could only overhead press 135 pounds?

Obviously, strength isn't the only factor in determining punching power/speed. But being stronger obviously is better than being weaker. If you're a boxer and you don't lift weights, you're an idiot.

Comment

so how do u explain bodybuilders who punch like girls? better yet how do u explain people like jeff lacy who lost alot of power from lifting weights, making him muscle bound and slower

Comment

so how do u explain bodybuilders who punch like girls? better yet how do u explain people like jeff lacy who lost alot of power from lifting weights, making him muscle bound and slower
              1. I never mentioned bodybuilding. I just said lifting weights. Big difference between bodybuilding and powerlifting (which is what I recommend for fighters).

2. Lifting weights doesn't make you slower. That is a myth that some dip**** made up. Weights make you FASTER and MORE flexible if you lift properly.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeeBrah View Post
                1. I never mentioned bodybuilding. I just said lifting weights. Big difference between bodybuilding and powerlifting (which is what I recommend for fighters).

2. Lifting weights doesn't make you slower. That is a myth that some dip**** made up. Weights make you FASTER and MORE flexible if you lift properly.
                So your saying if Julian Jackson lifted weights he would of killed people in there?

Comment

Originally posted by jamiegeorge91 View Post
                  So your saying if Julian Jackson lifted weights he would of killed people in there?
                  Don't know who Julian Jackson is, but if he lifted weights, he'd definitely hit harder/faster.

Comment

to be honest i dont think u know anything about boxing to put it blunt

Comment

to be honest i dont think u know anything about boxing to put it blunt
                      Why because I think that actually, you know, being stronger would be more beneficial than being weaker?

Only on boxing forums do I hear this type of ****...

Comment

Working...
                      X