Kim Dotcom reveals Mega to replace Megaupload file-sharing site

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kim Dotcom reveals Mega to replace Megaupload file-sharing site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20165657

Kim Dotcom has announced plans for Mega, a service to replace his shut down file-sharing website Megaupload.

Mega is expected to use encryption methods which will mean only users will know what they are uploading.

It will be decided in March whether Mr Dotcom should be extradited from New Zealand to the US to face charges relating to copyright theft.

The 38-year-old said he would launch Mega on 20 January 2013 - a year to the day since his arrest.

By keeping details of files uploaded on Mega secret from the site's administrators, Mr Dotcom said he believed this would mean the site was not in violation of US laws.

"The new Mega will not be threatened by US prosecutors," he said.

The US government are trying to extradite him?.

**** the US government.

Comment

I don't understand this. How is he responsible for anything when the content uploaded to MU was the responsibility of it's users?

I mean, I know the answer; because it would be way way harder to arrest and sue the tens of thousands of people uploading illegal content, but damn. The man did not break any laws.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
        I don't understand this. How is he responsible for anything when the content uploaded to MU was the responsibility of it's users?

I mean, I know the answer; because it would be way way harder to arrest and sue the tens of thousands of people uploading illegal content, but damn. The man did not break any laws.
        The whole thing blew over because MEGAUPLOADS had been told over and over to comply with anti-piracy suits from different bodies of governments and to take down illegally uploaded contents but has failed on all requests to do so. Being non-compliant essentially marked his company as an enabler for one of the biggest websites involved in piracy.

MEGA sounds like it will be more of the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ehrmantraut View Post
          The US government are trying to extradite him?.

**** the US government.
          I don't blame the government, I blame the music & movie industry that won in court. The Government was just carrying out the law based on the court ruling. I had three years on a premium account left and the most they allowed of uploaded files stored on it. I lost more with the closure of megaupload than the average bear. And I had no movies or music on it only fights.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
            I had three years on a premium account left and the most they allowed of uploaded files stored on it. I lost more with the closure of megaupload than the average bear. And I had no movies or music on it only fights.
            Speaking of that, it would be great if Mega honored the remaining time on our premium acounts at megaupload. But I doubt that will happen.

I doubt people will be buying premium more than a month at a time with the possibility the site could be closed at any moment.
            Last edited by TBear; 11-01-2012, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
              Speaking of that, it would be great if Mega honored the remaining time on our premium acounts at megaupload. But I doubt that will happen.

I doubt people will be buying premium more than a month at a time with the possibility the site could be clossed at any moment.
              i seen the megauploads fight with the copyright infringment ad on many fights on VTB.

Comment

Working...
              X