Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's with all the "Guerrero deserves the shot against Floyd"?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
    Floyd makes a ton of money no matter who he fights. Neither is much of a threat IMO. It would be smarter to fight Guerrero now, and Alvarez later. If that is Mayweather's goal here, to maximize the amount of money he makes, fighting Alvarez now is still not a good idea.

Imagine the hype if Alvarez beat the hell out of one of the other top guys at 154.
    logical, but Alvarez would need to fight somebody in 154 first... and the only 154 pounder i see him fighting is Angulo

Originally posted by hhs661 View Post
    Well one thing's for sure. Guerrero has done more @ 147 than Bradley did, who I didn't feel deserved a Pac fight by beating a very old Casamayor.

Even with my doubts about Timmy, he proved me wrong by defeating the 8 division, fighter of the decade. So I reserve any criticism I have of Guerrero being Floyd's next possible opponent
    Timmy didn't get that fight because he beat Casamayor. It was fairly obvious why he was signing with Top Rank and why he was on the Pac undercard

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
      I like and respect Guerrero's toughness but real boxing fans know that the best and biggest fight that can happen right now for Floyd is against Canelo. It seems as if everyone is just accepting the politics of "let him fight the Ghost to build up a fight with Canelo in Sept". Who says there's a guarantee Floyd fights Canelo in Sept or that Floyd even fights at all after May? Guerrero's only chance at victory is if he makes it ugly the way he did against Berto and hope that Floyd's legs are really gone. If not Floyd picks him apart from the outside en route to a UD.

Now aside from a few Floyd diehards that seem to be concerned about Floyd fighting Canelo for whatever reason, there is absolutely ZERO fan outcry for a Floyd/Guerrero fight. Casual boxing fans wouldnt even be able to pick out Guerrero in a 3 man lineup. He's just not known outside of the boxing diehards. Canelo on the other hand is the most recognizable Mexican fighter at the moment aside from maybe Chavez Jr. He has a huge following and it would make for a tremendously successful PPV. Ellerbe stated that Floyd only wants BIG fights next year. There's nothing "BIG" about a fight with Guererro

Now as for: "well Guerrero deserves the shot". Really? How? By beating a guy that Floyd already beat in only his 2nd fight at 147? You can say that Canelo hasnt really fought anyone worthy of lining him up a shot against Floyd and that may be true. Fact is though that given the notoriety of both fighters, the styles of both fighters, the strength and size that Canelo brings to the ring along with his combination punching power, it makes for a MUCH bigger event on Cinco de Mayo wknd than Floyd/Guerrero fight.

-Who did Cotto beat to deserve a shot at Floyd? A one-eyed shot Margarito?

- Who did JMM beat to deserve a shot at Floyd? Juan Diaz @ 135?

- Who did Ricky Hatton beat to deserve a shot at Floyd? A shot to pieces Jose Luis Castillo?

- Who did ODH beat to deserve a shot at Floyd? Ricardo Mayorga?

Etc....

The reason why most of these fights happened were because of name recognition and they made for big events. So lets not act as if Floyd only fights fighters who "deserve" a shot against him. Canelo is a young prime fighter who is calling Floyd out. Every Floyd fan should be demanding this fight!
      All this crying about who FLoyd is fighting and you couldn't even come up with another fighter at 147? You don't think the Ghost is good enough eventhough he's ranked #2 at WW, ok I can agree with that. So who at WW is good enough then? Who should Floyd fight at 147?

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      Floyd makes a ton of money no matter who he fights. Neither is much of a threat IMO. It would be smarter to fight Guerrero now, and Alvarez later. If that is Mayweather's goal here, to maximize the amount of money he makes, fighting Alvarez now is still not a good idea.

Imagine the hype if Alvarez beat the hell out of one of the other top guys at 154.
      This about sums it up.

Originally posted by hhs661 View Post
      Well one thing's for sure. Guerrero has done more @ 147 than Bradley did, who I didn't feel deserved a Pac fight by beating a very old Casamayor.

Even with my doubts about Timmy, he proved me wrong by defeating the 8 division, fighter of the decade. So I reserve any criticism I have of Guerrero being Floyd's next possible opponent
      The Ghost has done more than JMM and Bradley combined at WW (let alone Clottey, Margarito and Mosley WHEN Pac fought them). Pac hasn't even fought a WW title holder since fighting Cotto at a catchweight back in 2009. He's hand selected washed up has beens who were coming off loses. Yet the TS is crying about who Floyd has fought at WW.

Comment

Originally posted by brickcityboxing View Post
        Who do u suggest he fight then if Guerrero and Canelo are cherry picks ?
        Nobody lol, but of course, that isn't a realistic option cuz Floyd gotta eat too, and I do enjoy watching him go to work, regardless of the opponent. I label them cherry-picks because of the difference in skill/experience and because they aren't the indisputable #2 in their respective divisions. Why Canelo and not Trout/Lara/Molina? Why Ghost and not Alexander/Brook/Bradley? I understand that some of these guys are currently caught up in their own match-ups, but you get my point. When you factor in all the political bullshit, you get Mayweather's list of Canelo/Guerrero. I'm not saying they can't prove to be formidable foes when they meet Floyd in the ring, but I do consider it to be cherry-picking. However, I don't have an issue with the match-ups, as both guys are top 5-10 in their divisions.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
          Canelo and Guerrero are both cherrypicks imho. However, Guerrero traveled up two weight classes and beat two WWs, therefore earning a shot to be considered as an opponent. Is Guerrero a legacy fight for Mayweather? absolutely not. Neither is Canelo, but they'll probably pose a decent obstacle for Floyd. I'm not mad at either match-up should it happen, as long as others analyze them for what they actually are.
          Probably $80 million combined.

Comment

I think he deserves it more than Canelo. For me beating Berto (not the best opponent ever, but still pretty decent) is a lot better than beating shot Mosley, shot Cintron, Josesito Lopez, Ryan Rhodes or any of those terrible guys Canelo has faced.

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo

Timmy didn't get that fight because he beat Casamayor. It was fairly obvious why he was signing with Top Rank and why he was on the Pac undercard
              You're correct, but I didn't want politics and the behind the scenes mess to come into the argument because that only makes the making of Bradley-Pac fight that much worse to compare this too. Its not fair to Manny the congressman, humble hero and mexicutioner to bring that up.

Originally posted by WESS

The Ghost has done more than JMM and Bradley combined at WW (let alone Clottey, Margarito and Mosley WHEN Pac fought them). Pac hasn't even fought a WW title holder since fighting Cotto at a catchweight back in 2009. He's hand selected washed up has beens who were coming off loses. Yet the TS is crying about who Floyd has fought at WW.

You're being a little too harsh on the pacman. Just because he fights people who most boxing fans know didnt deserve a shot means nothing. He's helping poverty and a carer of the world. He's a global icon and his stigma stretches out to the white house. Who cares about the catchweights? He beats his opponents because they're scared to throw punches. Not because of weights, ring sizes, age or different styles.

Yet, we should not critique Guerrero yet because anything can happen with one punch. Look at Manny vs Hatton

Comment

i don't see the problem if he fights guerrero first and then canelo in 2013

Comment

Cotto JMM ODLH JLC Guerrero>Canelo

At the time of fighting Floyd all of their resumes were much better coming into the fight (ie recent fights) then Canelos bar ODLH..... And ODLH didn't have to "earn" a shot at Floyd.... It was the other way around at that time

Comment

Originally posted by WESS View Post

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
                      Nobody lol, but of course, that isn't a realistic option cuz Floyd gotta eat too, and I do enjoy watching him go to work, regardless of the opponent. I label them cherry-picks because of the difference in skill/experience and because they aren't the indisputable #2 in their respective divisions. Why Canelo and not Trout/Lara/Molina? Why Ghost and not Alexander/Brook/Bradley? I understand that some of these guys are currently caught up in their own match-ups, but you get my point. When you factor in all the political bullshit, you get Mayweather's list of Canelo/Guerrero. I'm not saying they can't prove to be formidable foes when they meet Floyd in the ring, but I do consider it to be cherry-picking. However, I don't have an issue with the match-ups, as both guys are top 5-10 in their divisions.
                      I believe Bradley, JMM and the Ghost are the top 3 WW’s. Alvarez is a top 3 JMW (and should be fighting Trout to prove he is the best). They both are at least top 5 in their respected weight classes.

When you compare that to Pac, when has he last fought a top 5 fighter IN the weight division he has been fighting in (WW and JMW)?

However If Bradley was a fight to be made, meaning if Bob was not promoting him, I would say that is the best possible fight to be made at WW.

Yet we both know Bob would never allow it. He’s still going to get a Pac vs Bradley II fight in before Pac retires, let alone the Mayweather fight right before Pac retires.
                      Last edited by WESS; 12-20-2012, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X