Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why isn't boxing on major networks anymore?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why isn't boxing on major networks anymore?

Um yeah, just wondering. Why did boxing stop getting shown on ABC, NBC, and CBS, even sometimes Fox? Why only HBO, Showtime and occasionally pay per view?

DonKing and Bob Arum.

Comment

Meaning what? They had boxing taken off of major networks? If so, why? Are they somehow making more by having boxing on premium cable? I could see pay per view, because people have to pay to watch it each time, but why HBO and Showtime, ESPN 2? Wouldn't the sport reach a wider audience on a channel like ABC or NBC? Besides, I thought not many people were ordering PPV boxing these days, unless Mayweather or Pacquiao fight someone? How is this bringing in more revenue having it on cable instead of major networks?

Comment

There are a lot reasons. Obviously corruption and scandals are one. But there are also other factors. A big problem is the unpredictability of how long a fight lasts. You can't seel premium advertising for the slot between the 9th and 10th rounds when there is a chance the fight can be over by then. And when the fight is over, the viewers leave quickly. With other sports you have a relative certainty of a time frame. I remember when Ken Norton fought Duane Bobick on NBC (I think) in the late 70's. It was like a 3 hour broadcast hyping the main event, and the fight was over in less than a minute. At least with the Kentucky Derby you are expecting a two minute race.

Comment

PPV makes the promoters more money.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
            There are a lot reasons. Obviously corruption and scandals are one. But there are also other factors. A big problem is the unpredictability of how long a fight lasts. You can't seel premium advertising for the slot between the 9th and 10th rounds when there is a chance the fight can be over by then. And when the fight is over, the viewers leave quickly. With other sports you have a relative certainty of a time frame. I remember when Ken Norton fought Duane Bobick on NBC (I think) in the late 70's. It was like a 3 hour broadcast hyping the main event, and the fight was over in less than a minute. At least with the Kentucky Derby you are expecting a two minute race.
            All of the above is true and boxing is more complicated with to many titles and losing popularity while other more sports with more consistant time frames are gaining in popularity. As boxing fans we are forced to get cable to view the fights.

Comment

did you Pacquaio Vs Bradley? Thats a good reason....and the list of corruption goes on! They want no part of it!

Comment

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
                PPV makes the promoters more money.
                But how, when there's only two current boxers that get any kind of good PPV buyrates anymore?

Comment

Actually, I didn't order Pacquiao-Bradley, I watched the replay on HBO. So networks don't want to be a part of the corruption in boxing, but there's plenty of corruption and cronyism with TV networks and in the entertainment industry in general. I guess it's okay as long as they're the ones initiating the corruption.

Comment

IMO Boxing was so much bigger yesteryear because it was on all those networks. Everyday people actually got to see all the good fighters in the comfort of their own home. The kids would also see them and would be inspired to go to the gym and become fighters! All the PPV greed has contributed to the downfall of boxing. If you don't think so check the record...

Comment

Working...
                    X