Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where does Lennox Lewis Rank among heavey weights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good top twenty or so, maybe 25 to 30! Loses aren't that big a deal especially with heavyweights who are not quite in their prime years and certainly don't mean scratch if they have to hang around for the money!

As for Tyson beating up on Lewis in spar sessions!!!!
    The first day up at Cus's Lewis was very timid and let Mike bully him he was told to fight Mike the second day!!
    He did!!
    The third day he was asked to leave!!!
    Thats what happened, cause I know!! You people don't!!

This was back when they were Open Class amatuers, Tyson as a young J.O. boxer mowed down all the boxers at the regionals and nationals two years in a row but everyone knew he'd have competition in the Open Class. He did. Ray

Comment

I have him ranked #13 all-time at Heavyweight. I enjoyed watching fight on the whole (not all of his fights were snoozers like versus Tua). His shaky chin and the fact that his best opponents were well past-it keep me from ranking him any higher.

Poet

Comment

Somewhere between 10 and 15.

Comment

Originally posted by res View Post
          Where did you read that Lewis got "hammered"? I read it was more or less even.

And Lewis simply wanted the Gold medal he had been denied (and which he eventually got) . How do you think lewis knew that Tyson was going to implode early in his career? It's not like Lewis went pro after Tyson/Douglas. The media was calling him (Tyson) unbeatable and predicting that no one would beat him into the foreseeable future.
          Lewis knows that he had no chance against Mike in his prime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVKk6ZURemI&t=8m20s

Comment

Lewis is all wrong for prime mike. I have him at 10-12 spot sometimes even in my top 10.

Comment

Lennox Lewis looked as if he had 2 left feet and the shoes he was wearing were 6 sizes too big. His jab was nothing but a pawing distraction and when he threw a big shot he was off balance and ripe for the picking. He made a career off of fighting shot fighters who were at the end of their careers. His early knockout losses to Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman made these journeyman fighters household names when they one punch KO'd Lennox Lewis into oblivion.

I can't even think of where he ranks but it isn't very high. For the Vitali comment above though I will say that while Vitali did look good the first 2 rounds, Lennox took over and pasted him until he looked like Arnold at the end of Terminator 2. Just because a guy wins 2 rounds doesn't mean that he would win the fight just because it was stopped. The way it was going Lennox was getting better as the fight progressed despite what the HBO team would have you believe. That was actually one of his better performances and Vitali got beat. Stoppage is a stoppage.

Comment

Manny Steward on How Lewis would have Fared against Prime Versions of Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield:

I think he would have beaten both. I was fortunate enough to know Mike since he was probably about 13 or 14 when I saw him in the Junior Olympics. But what you have to remember about Mike Tyson, to me he’s one of the fighters I respect so much for what he did for being a small man, because he was still a small heavyweight. The biggest thing he had was his speed and intensity over a lot of big guys, when they were not prepared or well enough coordinated to deal with that. But the big guys who were not afraid of Mike and had any boxing skills, he had a problem with because Mike was a little guy. What he accomplished was phenomenal, but if you look at his history—‘Quick’ Tillis, Mitch Green, a fighter that I was managing at the time Tony Tucker, ‘Bonecrusher’ Smith. All of those big guys who were not afraid of Mike, and even Tony Tucker was giving him a hell of a fight until Tony’s daddy, who was in the corner, came up and told him to slow down because Mike was dangerous.

But Mike had problems with big guys! He was still a small guy that was really almost like a cruiserweight, and those big guys who were not afraid of him, all of them he struggled with. So when you look back at history I cannot think of why Lennox—who had more skills than and was just as big as a Mitch Green, ‘Bonecrusher’, Tony Tucker, and ‘Quick Tillis’—wouldn’t have beaten him! Lennox was still a big man, and you have to remember Mike was a little guy. I don’t think Mike would have ever beaten Lennox, because Lennox could box and Lennox could be rough guy, too, when he had to be. I don’t think he would have been able to get to him like some of those big uncoordinated guys who were either afraid or were not well coordinated. So it’s just the case where Mike was a phenomenal fighter, but with the big guys size still matters. You’re going to fight a guy who’s 240-250, with skills, solid amateur background, went through two Olympics—no, I don’t think he could have done anything.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                  I have him ranked #13 all-time at Heavyweight. I enjoyed watching fight on the whole (not all of his fights were snoozers like versus Tua). His shaky chin and the fact that his best opponents were well past-it keep me from ranking him any higher.

Poet
                  Shaky chin?! I just don't see it. And, while I like Lewis but not quite love him immensely I still gotta speak out about all this BS. Lewis survived shots by Tua, Tyson, Mercer, Morrison, Vitali etc. He went strong for 12 years beating every man he's faced or would fight him. The man was once knocked out once by an incredible right by Rahman. One KO loss makes him have a lousy chin??

Tyson gets all sorts passes for losing the Douglas fight and not taking him serious. So why not Lewis for Rahman? The man even got a chance to avenge the fight which Mike never got the chance to avenge his. The earlier McCall loss was a knockdown simply called a knockout. He was on his feet with his hands up at the time! And, I'm saying that even as a one-time friend of Oliver McCall.

Just asking, if the Ali-Cooper fight would have been stopped after the knockdown would Ali be seen as maybe having a glass jaw? Would Lewis have had to have fought in the '70's to get more respect as thats perhaps the only other era that was comparable to the '90's? All the greatest heavyweights were knocked down/out at one point or another. I don't get it. He did all he could possibly do.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
                    Shaky chin?! I just don't see it. And, while I like Lewis but not quite love him immensely I still gotta speak out about all this BS. Lewis survived shots by Tua, Tyson, Mercer, Morrison, Vitali etc. He went strong for 12 years beating every man he's faced or would fight him. The man was once knocked out once by an incredible right by Rahman. One KO loss makes him have a lousy chin??

Tyson gets all sorts passes for losing the Douglas fight and not taking him serious. So why not Lewis for Rahman? The man even got a chance to avenge the fight which Mike never got the chance to avenge his. The earlier McCall loss was a knockdown simply called a knockout. He was on his feet with his hands up at the time! And, I'm saying that even as a one-time friend of Oliver McCall.

Just asking, if the Ali-Cooper fight would have been stopped after the knockdown would Ali be seen as maybe having a glass jaw? Would Lewis have had to have fought in the '70's to get more respect as thats perhaps the only other era that was comparable to the '90's? All the greatest heavyweights were knocked down/out at one point or another. I don't get it. He did all he could possibly do.
                    I'm not simply talking about the McCall and Rahman fights. I've seen Lennox wobbled by less-than-steller shots plenty of times hence my use of the term "shaky chin". I'm not saying his chin is glass like Wlad's is, but I wouldn't exactly label it Lennox's strong suit either.

And btw, there's no way in hell the fight would have been stopped after Cooper's knockdown of Ali. Bad comparison.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
                      I rank Lewis somewhere between 11 - 15. He a was rather dull and one-dimentional fighter. He only had two weapons - the left jab and the right cross. He used the (mostly pawing) left jab to set-up the right hand. He neglected the left hook and rarely used the uppercut. If he ever had the ability to punch in combinations, he hid it well; he was obsessed with delivering the coup de grāce with his right hand.
                      Case in Point
                      [vbtube]7vchqCFmOe4[/vbtube]
                      Last edited by Panamaniac; 09-04-2012, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X