Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pryor's Arguello (I) beats prime Kostya: Agree or Disagree?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pryor's Arguello (I) beats prime Kostya: Agree or Disagree?

Am I being taken in by older is better nostalgia by favoring the late stage, 140 version of Arguello over the best version of one of the most solid 140-pound champs since? I just feel he would've gotten the job done had he had someone less overwhelming to deal with than The Hawk.

Yes
    46.43%
    No
    32.14%
    A Strong Maybe
    21.43%

Yes strongly agree.

Comment

WHAT TIME IS IT???

Both great fighters and 2 of my favorites. One thing that made Kostya so great and such a respectable fighter is that he stayed about one inch outside of your reach. And as soon as you got within that Inch he picked you apart.

Pryor was just a complete animal. I loved how he constantly changed the angle he was punching from while throwing combination's. He would shift his entire body from side to side. People think he was a straight forward fighter and easy to hit which is completely false.

Both of those things have become forgotten techniques in boxing.

Comment

By the time he fought at Junior Welterweight, Arguello had lost most of the effectiveness that he had at Junior Lightweight. At the latter, he was probably the all-time #1 in terms of effectiveness; however, at the former he wouldn't really feature in the Top 20, unlike Pryor, who would be #3 or #4 of all-time.

It's a close fight; in fact, a prime Kostya nearly makes it too close to call. It would be exceptional. But I can see Arguello pulling off a close decision. A one-sided quick KO against Kostya Tszyu at this weight class would be unrealistic.

Comment

Yeah I think people really forgot how good and how tough Kostya was. He didn't get the marquee names under his belt but he had it all. No weaknesses in his game.

Comment

Hmmmm, no, I don't think so. Kostya a bit too hard a puncher for Arguello at that stage. I think he would also not have too much trouble outboxing Arguello if it came to that either. Arguello had trouble when Pryor started boxing him and KT was quite the boxer.

Nonetheless, I think KT would take this one. Top five ATG at 140 and at his best I think that Arguello would just take too much punishment and it would get stopped by the ref.

Comment

Arguello would knock Tszyu out.He has heavy hands,but was never a true devestating puncher.Too upright and predictable for a fighter of Arguello's class and punching ability.

Tszyu never faced anyone remotely close to Arguello's class.He did pummel Chavez,but Chavez,contrary to what Mickey Malone (whatever happened to him anyway?) claims,was a shot fighter and most likely still on drugs at the time.

Tszyu never really proved himself superior to Vince Phillips level talent,let alone a legitimate ATG.

Comment

Originally posted by GameGod View Post
                By the time he fought at Junior Welterweight, Arguello had lost most of the effectiveness that he had at Junior Lightweight. At the latter, he was probably the all-time #1 in terms of effectiveness; however, at the former he wouldn't really feature in the Top 20, unlike Pryor, who would be #3 or #4 of all-time.

It's a close fight; in fact, a prime Kostya nearly makes it too close to call. It would be exceptional. But I can see Arguello pulling off a close decision. A one-sided quick KO against Kostya Tszyu at this weight class would be unrealistic.
                ^^^^^ This right here. Junior-Welter was probably a weight class too high for Arguello to be at his best.

Poet

Comment

No way!

Panama Lewis cheated for Pryor to help him beat Arguello, by the 2nd fight, Arguello's heart & soul had been stolen from him in the 1st fight.

Plus Arguello was on his 4 move up in weight and nearing the latter part of his career, Pryor beat an aging & at the end of his Career, Cervantes & He put Pryor down, not being known as a KO artist, also D. Johnson, the #4 ranked JWW put Pryor down & he wasnt known for his power, notice Pryor never, ever fought a single Pro guy in all his fights that had even decent power, why, because his people knew he would get KOed by them.

Who did Pryor beat, an Aging champ, another on his 4 weight division, and not so good 4th ranked JWW, who else, no one.

He even avoided the #1 JWW at the time, Saoul Mamby, he had no power, but I think I would have taken him to outpoint Pryor, they avoided Mamby also, Arguello beats him if Lewis does not introduce his special Elixir bottle.

So Tsyzu beats Pryor, by KO, Loi by Decision Chavez by TKO, Cervantes Prime by decision or possibly TKO, Mamby by decision or split decision, Duran destroys him if he stops off at JWW, Mancini and Pryor at LW would have been good, Pryor should win that war, but it would be fun to see, also notice how Pryor started at LW, then they saw how many talented guys were at that weight and ran to an easy division at JWW, he avoided guys, like Mancini, Arroyo, Kenty, Duran, Arguello at LW, Blake, T. Ali, J. Paul, Davis Jr., A. Ganingan, I would take to KO Pryor, even though Ganigan was not that good, he gave Arguello heck at LW, but his Power connects & takes Pryor out, Pryor is the better fighter, but can't take Andy's Power, also Gato Gonzalez gives him a battle at LW, & Livingstone Bramble, & J. Watt, begin to see why he signed up for LW, then only fought once there before running scared to an empty JWW, & even then avoided Mamby, LOL, all the Pryor lovers here, just don't know his career.
                  He could not take a power punch, he would down, like a sack of potatoes, so they avoided power guys, & gave him Pansies, then cheated the one real fighter in Arguello he fought.

Comment

We get it, you have a hard on for Pryor. He's still one of my favorites.

Comment

Working...
                    X