No announcement yet.

Should Pone Kingpetch be in the HOF?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Pone Kingpetch be in the HOF?

I pose the question; Does Pone Kingpetch belong in the HOF?

He only had a short career. Well, across 12 years he only had 35 fights, retiring with a record of 28-7.

But lets look at his resume;

Hitoshi Misako – Top 5
    Dommy Ursa - Top 5
    Danny Kid- #3 a year prior, in the top 10 when he fought him.
    Pascual Perez X2 - #1, #1
    Mitsunori Seki – Top 10
    Kyo Nouchi - #7
    Fighting Harada - #1
    Hiroyuki Ebihara - #1

The obvious names that stand out are Pascual Perez and Fighting Harada. Kingpetch went 2-0 over Perez and 1-1 with Harada. Which is an amazing feat, to have a winning record over 1 HOF'er and not a losing record over another HOF'er.

But other than that he has a list of solid opposition faced and beaten and was considere at the top of the Flyweight division for quite a while.

He was Lineal Champion at Flyweight 3 times. Also defending his Lineage succesfully 3 times.

My question for you guys is; Is this HOF material?

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    I pose the question; Does Pone Kingpetch belong in the HOF?

He only had a short career. Well, across 12 years he only had 35 fights, retiring with a record of 28-7.

But lets look at his resume;

Hitoshi Misako – Top 5
    Dommy Ursa - Top 5
    Danny Kid- #3 a year prior, in the top 10 when he fought him.
    Pascual Perez X2 - #1, #1
    Mitsunori Seki – Top 10
    Kyo Nouchi - #7
    Fighting Harada - #1
    Hiroyuki Ebihara - #1

The obvious names that stand out are Pascual Perez and Fighting Harada. Kingpetch went 2-0 over Perez and 1-1 with Harada. Which is an amazing feat, to have a winning record over 1 HOF'er and not a losing record over another HOF'er.

But other than that he has a list of solid opposition faced and beaten and was considere at the top of the Flyweight division for quite a while.

He was Lineal Champion at Flyweight 3 times. Also defending his Lineage succesfully 3 times.

My question for you guys is; Is this HOF material?
    Yes. I think he's long overdue. The first Thai World Champion and, while it was CLOSE, he beat a GREAT fighter in Harada, ended the reign of a great one in Pascual, and Ebihara was borderline Hall himself. Had a rough chin but should be there IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
      Yes. I think he's long overdue. The first Thai World Champion and, while it was CLOSE, he beat a GREAT fighter in Harada, ended the reign of a great one in Pascual, and Ebihara was borderline Hall himself. Had a rough chin but should be there IMO.
      I can agree with that.

I think he deserves to aswell. Maybe his longevity effects him but he beat some good fighters and also beat some great fighters.

He has been retired for a long long time. Do you think he will get inducted eventually?

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        I can agree with that.

I think he deserves to aswell. Maybe his longevity effects him but he beat some good fighters and also beat some great fighters.

He has been retired for a long long time. Do you think he will get inducted eventually?
        Probably...he'll need a drumbeat campaign .

Comment

Bump.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Comment

The way it goes is that they give you 45 modern names and you can pick up to 10, but they then pick the top 3 vote getters. In the old-timers, they give you 50 names, and you can pick up to 10 but again, they only pick the top 3 vote getters.

Here's the list of names we received last year:

2010 International Boxing Hall of Fame Nominees in the Modern Class: (Last bout no earlier than 1943)
            The voters can pick up to 10 boxers, But only the top 3 will be Inducted:

First Time Nominees
            1. Julio Cesar Chavez
            2. Kostya Tszyu
            3. Mike Tyson

Return Nominees
            4. Horacio Acavallo
            5. Georgie Abrams
            6. Joey Archer
            7. Jose Becerra
            8. Johnny Bratton
            9. Jimmy Carruthers
            10. Donald Curry
            11. Hiroyuki Ebihara
            12. Tommy Farr
            13. Tiger Jack Fox
            14. Ceferino Garcia
            15. Betulio Gonzalez
            16. Yoko Gushiken
            17. Naseem Hamed
            18. Carlos Hernandez
            19. Harry Jeffra
            20. Rafael Herrera
            21. Al Hostak
            22. Peter Kane
            23. Cocoa Kid
            24. Pone Kingpetch
            25. Tippy Larkin
            26. Santos Laciar
            27. Jose Legra
            28. Miguel Lora
            29. Raul Macias
            30. Ernesto Marcel
            31. Freddie Mills
            32. Rinty Monaghan
            33. Masao Ohba
            34. Sven Ottke
            35. Ken Overlin
            36. Gustave Roth
            37. Lou Salica
            38. Dave Sands
            39. Petey Scalzo
            40, Samuel Serrano
            41. Yoshio Shirai
            42. Kid Tunero
            43. Wilfredo Vazquez
            44. Myung Woo Yuh
            45. Hilario Zapata

Comment

I think he deserves induction, I do. Unfortunately, the longer you wait, the less likely you are to receive induction. It's a sad face of how the Hall works nowadays. On the bright side, if Kostya Tszyu is a first-ballot HOFer, literally anything is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
                I think he deserves induction, I do. Unfortunately, the longer you wait, the less likely you are to receive induction. It's a sad face of how the Hall works nowadays. On the bright side, if Kostya Tszyu is a first-ballot HOFer, literally anything is possible.
                Not really true. That's more a Baseball or other sport thing. In boxing, time allows for campaigns, especially for smaller fighter who need time to get their names into more U.S. minds. Worked for Galaxy; worked for Chang. Those names get in during years when there are less STARS on the ballot. This year, the top three were almost pre-ordained. Next year, Hearns is the onyl super lock (that I can think of).

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
                  Not fond of Tszyu, WBY?

Neither am I. Though I think he is indeed a good fighter, no way is he a First Ballot HOF'er, IMO.

Comment

It doesn't matter if they are a 1st ballot candidate or a 15th. The committee votes for the best 10, and then the top 3 get in. I have been on both the Modern and Old-Timers Committee for several years now. I didn't think Tszyu deserved to be in the top 3, But he did IMO deserve to be in the top 10, so he got my vote, as did Kingpetch.

Comment

Working...
                    X