No announcement yet.

Does Floyd make your top 50 list

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Floyd make your top 50 list

In your opinion is he a top 50 ATG and if so where inside the 50?
    He earned a spot in the top 10 at #10
    20.63%
    Just outside the top 10, probably 11-20
    12.70%
    Around 21-30
    14.29%
    I'd put him between 31-39
    12.70%
    Maybe 40-49
    14.29%
    He barely makes it at #50
    25.40%

The poll is expired.

In terms of skills and how he would do against others at the weight classes he fought in yes. There are very few fighters that could have beat him. He would have lost to Hearns and Leonard at WW. I don't think he could have kept the Duran that beat Leonard off of him. The Pac at 147 that beat Cotto would have whooped Floyd too.

But in terms of accomplishment and "greatness" no. He always was scared to take risks, whether this meant avoiding certain fighters when he should have fought them, or refusing to take risks in fights to take guys out when he could have.

But there are no where near 50 guys better than him p4p that is for sure.

Comment

Well he's not as skilled as Jim Corbett who I rank at 80, nor is his resume as good.

Probably just outside the top 100.

Comment

Originally posted by Oh you out son View Post
        In terms of skills and how he would do against others at the weight classes he fought in yes. There are very few fighters that could have beat him. He would have lost to Hearns and Leonard at WW. I don't think he could have kept the Duran that beat Leonard off of him. The Pac at 147 that beat Cotto would have whooped Floyd too.

But in terms of accomplishment and "greatness" no. He always was scared to take risks, whether this meant avoiding certain fighters when he should have fought them, or refusing to take risks in fights to take guys out when he could have.

But there are no where near 50 guys better than him p4p that is for sure.
        Someone said there are at least 100 fighter better than Floyd.

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
        Probably just outside the top 100.

Comment

Yes. 8 titles in 5 weight classes. 3 lineal titles.

Genaro, Manfredy, Corrales, C. Hernandez, Chavez, Castillo, Judah, Baldomir, De La Hoya, Hatton, Marquez, Mosley, Ortiz, and Cotto.

If he beats Pacquiao or Martinez, that'd be huge. We'll see.

But who else could he have added to his reusme that he didn't??? Margarito, which would have been a good win in 06', but it wouldn't have changed things all that much.

A ton of people forget Floyd was ready to fight Mosley and Wright in 05-06, to no avail. Not his fault those didn't happen then. And he got a past prime-still good Cotto at 154.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post

Genaro, Manfredy, Corrales, C. Hernandez, Chavez, Castillo, Judah, Baldomir, De La Hoya, Hatton, Marquez, Mosley, Ortiz, and Cotto.
            I'd say only 4 names there are 100% HOF with Cotto being a likely inductee to make it 5 names. The rest good but far from great.

Comment

Originally posted by lparm View Post
              I'd say only 4 names there are 100% HOF with Cotto being a likely inductee to make it 5 names. The rest good but far from great.
              That's not bad man. I'm not saying all are ATG or HOF fighters, but Floyd has a pretty damn good resume.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post

If he beats Pacquiao or Martinez, that'd be huge. We'll see.

But who else could he have added to his reusme that he didn't??? Margarito, which would have been a good win in 06', but it wouldn't have changed things all that much.

A ton of people forget Floyd was ready to fight Mosley and Wright in 05-06, to no avail. Not his fault those didn't happen then. And he got a past prime-still good Cotto at 154.
                I agree he should be top 50 but not based on resume. Mosley was old and far past his best days, Cotto was damaged by Margarito and Pac badly (and still was fully competitive with Floyd), Marquez was moved up 2 weight classes and Floyd didn't make weight. The rest of those were good wins, the DLH one is sort of borderline

Comment

Originally posted by lparm View Post
                  Someone said there are at least 100 fighter better than Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by Oh you out son View Post
                    I agree he should be top 50 but not based on resume. Mosley was old and far past his best days, Cotto was damaged by Margarito and Pac badly (and still was fully competitive with Floyd), Marquez was moved up 2 weight classes and Floyd didn't make weight. The rest of those were good wins, the DLH one is sort of borderline
                    Mosley was past his prime. But this was a time when Manny didn't want any part of Mosley, after he stopped Margarito. Mosley was also #3 P4P and the #2 WW at the time. And it was Shane who prevented that fight from happening back in 05-06, not Floyd. EVERYONE was calling for Floyd-Mosley back in early 2010.

Cotto hasn't been prime since 08'. The Cotto in 09' and the Cotto last May really aren't all that different, and Floyd had to go up in weight to fight him. Cotto isn't completely passed it by any means.

And the Marquez win didn't mean much until Marquez last November arguably beat Manny at the same weight. Floyd should get some credit for shutting him out at the weight he beat Manny at, arguably. Those 2 lbs aren't why Floyd beat him. It's not like Floyd imposed his size on Marquez, he out boxed him for 12 straight rounds easily.

Comment

Working...
                    X