No announcement yet.

Sergio Martinez has been stripped of 3 world-titles in 10 months. Amazing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sergio Martinez has been stripped of 3 world-titles in 10 months. Amazing

Can you image what would happen if this was Floyd? Or Pacman?

WBC Light Middleweight: The WBC informed Martinez (after the fight so they could collect the sanctioning fees first) that he had to vacate either the 154 or 160 strap following the Pavlik fight. Martinez kept the 160. (Went to the winner of Pacquiao-Margarito)

WBO Middleweight: The WBO enforced (for the first time?) a little-known rule that a WBO title holder cannot hold a title or another sanctioning body in another weight class. They gave him a deadline to resolve the situation. I remember Martinez vacated the 154 belt well before the deadline, but they went ahead and stripped him anyway. (Went to the winner of Pirog-Jacobs)

WBC Middleweight: It's always been my belief that Martinez kept the 160 belt because he knew that the WBC wanted to put a strap on Chavez jr, who had ducked him the summer before the Williams fight. Chavez had moved up to 160 because he said he couldn't make 154 any longer. Martinez staying at 160 would force Chavez's hand in that if he wanted a WBC title, he would have to finally get in the ring with Martinez or go to supper-middle. Wrong. Instead, the WBC simply "promoted" Martinez "champion emeritus" which in effect stripped him of the world title. (Promoted Zbik to "full" champ)

I know this isn't anything new, but I was justing thinking about it today with all the talk of Hatton/Alvarez.

Sergio has to fight yet another difficult fight soon against an undefeated Dzinziruk for a fictional title (Diamond Belt, created a year ago!). Meanwhile Chavez jr gets a shot at one of Martinez's titles due to a win against John Duddy and Billy Lyell (8 losses!) and Alvarez gets one of Martinez's titles if he beats Matthew fucking Hatton.

The world's really gone mad. I wish Sergio was more outspoken and called these frauds out to fight him in a more condescending and humiliating tone.
    Last edited by paulf; 02-18-2011, 07:12 PM.

and now kids like Alvarez and Chavez Jr fight for his belts I mean WTF is wrong with the WBC.
    Last edited by cleaner147; 02-18-2011, 05:35 PM.

Comment

"WBC stands for we be crooks." -James Toney

Comment

I agree with everything you just said. I was just talking about this this morning. **** the WBC they need to **** off. Honestly when you think about it all the "organizations" coincidently seem to make moves that benifit eachother all the time. We as fans need to demand these sanctioning bodies to get lost. We should just create a petition and flood all the media outlets with E-mails. Lets go back to having one champ per division. So casual fans can actually tell who the champs are. I'm a hardcore fan and I have a hard time keeping track. I think right now is the time to make a change. It needs to be done to have the sport advance and get back on top.
        Last edited by xAUGUSTUSx; 02-18-2011, 05:39 PM.

Comment

I dont pay attention to belts anymore TBH. I just judge a fighter by who he fights. Belts mean nothing now-a-days.

Comment

being champion don't mean shiet, there are so many titles in each weight division its crazy, and there are way too many divisions aswell. was better years ago, when if you were the champion, you were THE champion. which made for better fights, because you had to fight the best to be called the best. more about money than titles now.

Comment

We all know who the real champion at 160 is, The Ring champion is Sergio Martinez. The stripping shit is fucked up, but fuck belts. They don't mean much now anyway, being 4 per weight class and their being 1,000 weight classes. The real title is The Ring title nowadays.

I know Martinez has said that he wants it for honor, something about Carlos Monzon having the belt and he wants it too. But he has to realize that the real boxing fans know he's the champion at 160 and he will not be stripped by The Ring.
              Last edited by -Kev-; 02-18-2011, 05:45 PM. Reason: Misspelled Monzon

Comment

Originally posted by BattleHardened View Post
                I dont pay attention to belts anymore TBH. I just judge a fighter by who he fights. Belts mean nothing now-a-days.
                Only for some fighters. Martinez doesn't have the drawing power to assure than his opponents will get a million dollar payday, so unless he has a belt that they want/need, they would rather just avoid him.

If Martinez still had those three titles, he wouldn't have had such a hard time finding an opponent for his next fight. Alvarez, Chavez jr, ect. would have to fight him. Now that they don't have to, they wont.

Comment

Ehh. I don't really care. This is what happens when you fight the best and defy the sanctioning bodies. They strip you. "Ohhh, oh no. Now I can't pay extra fees after I FIGHT FOR MY LIFE IN THE RING?! Heavens, no."

Big deal. This only gives him less reason to worry about them, and more room to fight the best possible opponents. I only hope more fighters follow his lead, especially in the bigger weight classes.

Comment

Do you mind if i repost this on Chicago Boxing News on Facebook ?

Comment

Working...
                    X