No announcement yet.

James Toney at his best against a faded,weight drained brawler

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Toney at his best against a faded,weight drained brawler

Sorry about the awful hip hop music,but that's what's popular these days I guess.

Enjoy

love that fight. maybe not the best version of barkley but he fought hard and gave a good show.

Comment

Watching these videos just make me upset that Toney never really trained hard. He had incredible hand speed

Comment

Watching this fight makes me wish Toney fought in the 40s or so. 15 fights a year, same day weigh in, 15 rounds championship fights. He would have either stayed in shape and be a first tier all time great, or just be fat and be irrelevant.

Watching Toney is amazing. When I want to watch a fighter doing his thing, prime Toney is my fav choice. Hopkins is a bit less smooth, Mayweather does not like to engage, Jones and Whitaker are just doing things impossible to mortals, so I like watching Toney.

Note: before 1990 or so video quality was worse and getting worse going back, so I rarely put on Ezzard Charles or Ike Williams (or even Leonard or Duran) for pleasure.

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
          Watching this fight makes me wish Toney fought in the 40s or so. 15 fights a year, same day weigh in, 15 rounds championship fights. He would have either stayed in shape and be a first tier all time great, or just be fat and be irrelevant.

Watching Toney is amazing. When I want to watch a fighter doing his thing, prime Toney is my fav choice. Hopkins is a bit less smooth, Mayweather does not like to engage, Jones and Whitaker are just doing things impossible to mortals, so I like watching Toney.

Note: before 1990 or so video quality was worse and getting worse going back, so I rarely put on Ezzard Charles or Ike Williams (or even Leonard or Duran) for pleasure.
          Completely agree. Whenever I'm bored and can't be bothered looking for a new fight to watch I always go back to Toney's fights to watch.

Especially the Jirov fight. At his best, he is one of the best fighters to watch.

Comment

Like the song.

Comment

Originally posted by Snopkins View Post

Sorry about the awful hip hop music,but that's what's popular these days I guess.

Enjoy
              Although it was an older, slower version of Barkley, and he had been having a lot of trouble with the weight and such, I still remember Toney saying in some interview that the hardest punches he was ever hit with was from Iran Barkley and Merqui Sosa. He said those two guys were brutal and every punch they threw had incredible power.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                Completely agree. Whenever I'm bored and can't be bothered looking for a new fight to watch I always go back to Toney's fights to watch.

Especially the Jirov fight. At his best, he is one of the best fighters to watch.
                I like Jirov or Nunn more as background fights, but if I am going to give it undivided attention...

Toney-McCallum 1, IMO that's the equivalent of **** when it comes to boxing.

When I watch Toney-McCallum I, I always think that back in the 40s all those fights we never saw footage of between Burley, Marshall, Moore, Charles, Bivins, Walcott must have had rounds that looked exactly like that. Back and forth action, masterful defensive and offensive moves, from both sides, and in the same round.

I kind of pray we get to see a similar level of fighting this weekend. Both Shane and Floyd should have the goods, I hope Shane forces Floyd to fight and they deliver said goods to us.

Comment

Originally posted by Snopkins View Post

Enjoy
                  Now you are hating on Toney? lol
                  Barkley was past his best no doubt about that, as for the weight drained comment its of no relevance. No one forced Barkley to go into the ring in that state

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
                    Toney-McCallum 1, IMO that's the equivalent of **** when it comes to boxing.
                    Green K sent for this comment , lol

Comment

Working...
                    X