No announcement yet.

So...About Alexis Arguello!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So...About Alexis Arguello!

I've been doing some research and digging on Arguello. I was watching the "legendary fights" series and was really interested in both these guys; Mostly interested in and because of the fight, as well the history it had going into it from both fighters. The show did a great job of giving a back story on the fight and creating an itch to watch it...So I watched it...

Arguello is AN ANIMAL! This guy was dropping bombs and whats crazy is how much tougher Pryor seemed. Especially by not going down after eating so many GREAT shots. Pryor had to be possessed!

After watching the show and the fight I embarked on the journey via interwebs/videos to piece together his career (usually Wikipedia cuts the work down by a large margin, even if the fighter isn't AS well known. Then again, not being well known could be a problem the problem for using wikipedia.) So, I'm currently indulging into the finesse, class and savage that is Alexis Arguello!

In the midst of all this consumption, I'm thinking..."What would have been like if (prime) Arguello were a modern day boxer?" I mean he fought around the 122-130 right? So lets say if he fought that weight in the last...5 to 10 years, What do you think would have happened?

Mainly what got this going was...the idea of him fighting or coming across anyone from (What I like to call) the Fantastic Four (Barrera, Morales, Pacquiao, Marquez) Against any (or all) of them and anyone else in these divisions in that time span, how would he have fared? His career is quite an impressive one and he still displayed various flashes of greatness in that fight and afterwards as well. So where do you think he stands?

Aside from that, another idea I wanted to entertain was what about if Alexis Arguello met Roberto Duran? Would that be a one sided fight or are we looking at something way more?

I apologize if this is already a beaten topic. I don't hang around history too much and I already searched using the forum search. Though, I like more topics here. Seems like its more civil and less of a flame fest. Plus, you can get some lessons and brush up on boxing history.
    Last edited by RightStraight; 01-30-2012, 02:08 AM.

At Featherweight I think Arguello beats Marquez,Barerra,Morales, and Pacquiao. I think Duran would stop Arguello late if the fight was at lightweight and Pacquaio at lightweight would have a chance to win a decision at 135.

Comment

Arguello primarily fought 126-140, with 130 being his best weight. One of the most accurate and devastating counterpunchers ever.

Comment

A great fighter! Always in good fights and always a gentleman. I really felt bad for him in the second Pryor fight, him sitting on the canvas, tears in his eyes, right then he knew for certain he couldn't beat Pryor. Awesome power, as good of a counter puncher as there ever was, great jab, crushing right, always in shape (physically and mentally). His down fall was despite having average hand speed he was painfully slow on his feet.

Comment

Arguello was one of the better offensive fighters in boxing history. However he was somewhat vulnerable to high level opponents who had an advantage in speed or slickness. But a devastating performer in his prime.
          Last edited by Scott9945; 01-30-2012, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X