No announcement yet.

leonard-hagler

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leonard-hagler

i read somewhere that prior to their fight, leonard and hagler met up in a certain restaurant for a chit chat. hagler told leonard that he was sick and tired of boxing. after that meeting, leonard called out hagler for a fight.

is this true or was just a rumor then?

Originally posted by led View Post
    i read somewhere that prior to their fight, leonard and hagler met up in a certain restaurant for a chit chat. hagler told leonard that he was sick and tired of boxing. after that meeting, leonard called out hagler for a fight.

is this true or was just a rumor then?
    Yeah its true, Leonard admits it in this documentary:

Comment

Damn didn't know this, thanks for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
        Damn didn't know this, thanks for posting.
        No problemo
        He also admits that it was his intention to fight Hagler all along, but he was basically waiting for Hagler to show signs of wear and tear. During the end of his reign Hagler thought him and Leonard were friends, which is why Hagler used to visit his Restaurant and talk about boxing. When he basically said he wanted to retire after the Mugabi fight, Leonard said, "now is my chance"

Comment

Originally posted by -IronMike- View Post
          No problemo
          He also admits that it was his intention to fight Hagler all along, but he was basically waiting for Hagler to show signs of wear and tear. During the end of his reign Hagler thought him and Leonard were friends, which is why Hagler used to visit his Restaurant and talk about boxing. When he basically said he wanted to retire after the Mugabi fight, Leonard said, "now is my chance"

Leonard was shrewd much like Mayweather is now.

On a sidenote I have 10 million points to give away if someone can find me the TV advertisment for Hagler vs Leonard.

The last time I saw it was back in '87 when I was 15. I remember it had Hagler saying "I got H.....U......R.....T written in my mind and that spells hurt. Then it showed clips of Hagler before cutting to SRL and him saying "I'm not known to be a powerful puncher, i'm known to be a consistant puncher and if the first doesn't get you, I'll get you with the next". It then shows SRL firing off combos.

Damn what an ad, as if I wasn't hyped enough.

Comment

Originally posted by -ironmike- View Post
            yeah its true, leonard admits it in this documentary:
            damn, thank you! Green for you bro! (when i reloaded)
            Last edited by led; 08-10-2010, 09:23 PM. Reason: INCOMPLETE THOUGHTS

Comment

one my all time favorite fighters

Comment

I don't remember about that ad, but I do remember Hagler and Thomas Hearns both made Pizza Hut commercials before their fight and only the winner's ad was going to be used. I never seen the Hearns version but the Hagler version played a few times on tv..

Comment

Originally posted by -IronMike- View Post
                  No problemo
                  Leonard said something similar in the Roberto Duran Beyond The Glory. He said he wanted to catch Duran in between his fluctuating weight in the hopes of fighting a weight drained Duran in the rematch. These things cause me to lose a little respect for Leonard. He's still one of my favorites, but a truly great fighter not only beats the biggest and best, but he should want to beat them when they at their best.
                  Last edited by Anthony342; 08-18-2010, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Leonard did pick his spots in this fight and the second Duran fight. I respect how good he was, but man I don't like the guy.

Comment

Working...
                    X