Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for the boxing purist!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

floyd. obviously both great performances, but floyd was on some god **** that night.

Comment

What I notice is when it comes to Floyd beating Hatton, he beat him at 147 and not 140 (his best weight), it takes away from the win for some reason. When it comes to Floyd beating Cotto, he beat him at 154 and not 147, his best weight, it takes away from the win for some reason.

But when it comes to Hopkins beating Trinidad at 160 and not 147, his best weight, he still beat Trinidad who was a beast.

Hopkins beating Trinidad was great and he'd proven himself at 160, but lets not act like 160 was his best weight either, which was clearly 147. Though Trinidad is greater than Corrales, Corrales was still a Top fighter around 130-135 for his time and was undefeated/Top 10 P4P at the time, the man at the weight. I'd give Floyd-Corrales the edge.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
        What I notice is when it comes to Floyd beating Hatton, he beat him at 147 and not 140 (his best weight), it takes away from the win for some reason. When it comes to Floyd beating Cotto, he beat him at 154 and not 147, his best weight, it takes away from the win for some reason.

But when it comes to Hopkins beating Trinidad at 160 and not 147, his best weight, he still beat Trinidad who was a beast.

Hopkins beating Trinidad was great and he'd proven himself at 160, but lets not act like 160 was his best weight either, which was clearly 147. Though Trinidad is greater than Corrales, Corrales was still a Top fighter around 130-135 for his time and was undefeated/Top 10 P4P at the time, the man at the weight. I'd give Floyd-Corrales the edge.
        I disagree on Hatton. I know he looked meh against Collazo, but I don't think he was as motivated or sharp there either. Floyd started lower on the scale and had only been above 140 a few times by then. I don't see any reason to take away from what Floyd did there. Cotto either. Neither man's best weight, or prime, was at hand in May. Still a hell of a fight; just a slower version of what we likely always would have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
          I disagree on Hatton. I know he looked meh against Collazo, but I don't think he was as motivated or sharp there either. Floyd started lower on the scale and had only been above 140 a few times by then. I don't see any reason to take away from what Floyd did there. Cotto either. Neither man's best weight, or prime, was at hand in May. Still a hell of a fight; just a slower version of what we likely always would have seen.
          Hatton fighting at 147 was him just cutting less weight, in my eyes. Plus, it was his fault it didn't happen at 140 after Floyd whupped Gatti and Hatton beat Tszyu. Plus, they were both prime.

Neither Floyd or Cotto were prime, Floyd not since 07' and Cotto not since 08', but both still good and top fighters.

I was saying some say "Well those weren't Hatton or Cotto's best weights", but then may not say the same about Hopkins beating Trinidad and De La Hoya.

Comment

Hatton fighting at 147 was him just cutting less weight, in my eyes. Plus, it was his fault it didn't happen at 140 after Floyd whupped Gatti and Hatton beat Tszyu. Plus, they were both prime.

Neither Floyd or Cotto were prime, Floyd not since 07' and Cotto not since 08', but both still good and top fighters.

I was saying some say "Well those weren't Hatton or Cotto's best weights", but then may not say the same about Hopkins beating Trinidad and De La Hoya.
            Oh, I see where you're going. Yeah. I think Hatton was on point for Floyd. Just in with a better guy. I don't think it was 'his fault' the fight didn't happen at 40. Floyd went to 47 right after Gatti. He had a path he was on and Judah was it.

The Oscar win is one of Hopkins least in terms of quality. Weight is a big issue there. Tito had proven a beast at 54 and walked through Joppy. He was a Middleweight by then and could have beaten just about any at the time not named 'Nard.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
              Oh, I see where you're going. Yeah. I think Hatton was on point for Floyd. Just in with a better guy. I don't think it was 'his fault' the fight didn't happen at 40. Floyd went to 47 right after Gatti. He had a path he was on and Judah was it.

The Oscar win is one of Hopkins least in terms of quality. Weight is a big issue there. Tito had proven a beast at 54 and walked through Joppy. He was a Middleweight by then and could have beaten just about any at the time not named 'Nard.
              I'm pretty sure I remember Floyd calling out Hatton right after both had won in June 2005, but Hatton and his team responded with him not being ready for that fight.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I remember Floyd calling out Hatton right after both had won in June 2005, but Hatton and his team responded with him not being ready for that fight.
                Could be. I recall Hatton saying he wanted it in UK yada yada. He said/he said crap. Comes off as typical build the biggest possible, which they did. They fought when they were both prime, both in shape, for the most $ possible. That's how they draw em up.

Comment

Do you give Floyd credit for the Marquez win?

Comment

Originally posted by FRANKGWJ View Post
                    Do you give Floyd credit for the Marquez win?
                    Much more credit than I do for pacs recent win over him.

Comment

I would have to say B Hop over Trinidad was a thing of beauty and this coming from a Tito fan.

Comment

Working...
                      X