No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Thompson Creates Controversy With Doping Comments

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Thompson Creates Controversy With Doping Comments

American heavyweight Tony Thompson, who faces Britain's David Price in Liverpool on Saturday, claims drug use in sport has become so widespread that the only way to deal with the problem is to legalize doping.

Thompson, 41, who lost to Wladimir Klitschko in his last fight last July, insists he does not even like to take painkillers.

But he suspects performance-enhancing drugs are proving so damaging in professional sport that only by allowing everyone to pump currently banned substances into their body could it approach fairness.

"I know this is going to be kind of controversial for people, I think they should just allow doping, period. Because to me it's like the gun law," Thompson told BBC Radio Five Live.
    [Click Here To Read More]

legalize doping and in a few years we have even more advanced stuff like genetic modification and biotechnology and in a few decades we will have cyborgs or robots fighting... It won't be boxing anymore.

Comment

he's too racional for this world

Comment

I don't agree with this, but I can completely see the sense in what Thompson is saying.

Comment

Piss off.

As said about this before, upping the testing to the best level possible is the best you can do. Making cheating legal removes the 'who's the better fighter?' question and instead it becomes, 'what fighters is using the best stuff?'

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
            Piss off.

As said about this before, upping the testing to the best level possible is the best you can do. Making cheating legal removes the 'who's the better fighter?' question and instead it becomes, 'what fighters is using the best stuff?'
            So it would be no different than Nascar would it? It's not who's the best driver, it's who has the best car, engines and all that. Though I don't know sh-t about Nascar, just assuming.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
              So it would be no different than Nascar would it? It's not who's the best driver, it's who has the best car, engines and all that. Though I don't know sh-t about Nascar, just assuming.
              Well...

Nascar is indeed about having the best car, but that's not achieved via cheating. Fighters need to just stop the BS, man-to-man instead of my abilities and drugs against yours.

Comment

It shows how pervasive the problem is when there is talk about the rationality of legalizing illegal activity. While doping may be a mainstay of the sport world, is enough truly being done to counteract it? I think anti-doping measures in boxing are limited at best, so before legalization is taken they should try and enforce it more thoroughly like Olympic athletes.

Comment

The problem with legalizing cheating is the damage athletes will do to their body in an attempt to gain an edge. Long term PED use has proven to mess the body up. Above all, that's why PEDs should never be legalized.

Comment

So it's ok to do drugs? Outrageous viewpoints. Some athletes would choose not to dope themselves, and so they would automatically fall behind in the race.

Comment

Working...
                    X