No announcement yet.

Burns vs. Moses weigh-in pictures?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fish_Scotland View Post
    Yeh I can't bet against who I want to win. I have a friend who nearly always bets against who he wants to win as he suggests it's a win win situation. It's come up trumps for him on many occasions in the past (Hattons last 2 fights for example, haha, although that was more common sense)

Its a 6k sell out and there has been more demand than that so Burns popularity has been rising. He's been getting plenty of coverage in our tabloid papers over the last year or so (which usually only cover football) We Scots tend to be quite humble and love an underdog and when you consider Burns was fighting a guy with a 6-26 record prior to the Martinez fight, he's endeared himself to the public. His "i cannae believe it" speech after winning the belt too helped increase his popularity. Very humble. The thing is we don't have a huge population, boxing is not mainstream so he's got to be appealing to the general public to start doing venues over a couple of thousand. I've no doubt he could sell double tonight's attendance in a domestic dust up with Mitchell. Boxing in the whole is becoming more popular UK wide. In any sport you need inspirational characters to entice the youth into the sport and we've had very few so Burns is so important to keep the revival going.

Ricky Hattons biggest legacy was not anything he did in the ring but the fact that he exposed the sport to mainstream public again and had kids saying "I want to be like him". You can count me as one of they people too. I was brought up watching boxing. I remember watching early Naz fights, Lewis, Tyson in the 90's etc but I was predominantly a football fan. Season ticket holder with my club, spending fortunes each week but the Hatton Kostya Tszyu fight flicked a switch with me. It's almost something primal with boxing. I was always fighting at school and on the streets when I was younger and friends would think I was mad when I'd say I genuinely loved it. So by the time the Hatton Kostya Tszyu came along I'd grown up a bit and had stopped getting in trouble but something clicked and I realised this was my sport. I just hope Burns can stay world champ long enough to inspire young Scots to pick up the gloves, as thats what we need.

On Moses, like you said, this is a strange pick with a potential stadium fight with Mitchell in the late summer on the cards. Unless they know something about Moses I've not picked up on. 9-2 from the bookies seems very generous too. I'm really nervous about tonight.

**** I'm rabbiting on. I better get my finger out as I've got a train to catch! Hope you get a good stream and be prepared to be blasted with multiple verses of Flower of Scotland lol

Nah, I love hearing perspective of boxing fans from across the pond. One of the main reasons I really grew to love boxing was because it is a true INTERNATIONAL SPORT. . . Unlike "American football" where it's only really big in USA. . . I am a fan of soccer (football) as well, but it's not really caught on in USA. . Boxing, on the other hand is a sport where every single man can put his entire country on his shoulders! (that must be a LOT of pressure). . . Also - I too was a bit of a ruffian and troublemaker, then I cleaned my act up later in my teens and started really taking to boxing - now I can't live without it!

I hate it when fans turn their back on their guy after he loses. . Which is why I am a big Hatton fan myself - and I love how he is still just as endeared in the UK. I have a few friends in Scotland, and they tell me the biggest thing they look for in their boxers, athletes, and just people in general is the ability to be humble. The fans won't take as well to a guy despite being a lot more talented than another guy.

Happy for ya having the chance to see your guy fight live tonight! I'll definitely be watching closely (as I got access to a really good stream for the fight). . .

Stop back in later tonight after the fight and tell us how the experience went!

Comment

FISH SCOTLAND - also, like I was asking your countryman, what do you think about Burns possibly even going to 140 in the near future? If he beats Mitchell, he should try to unify against another one of the LW champs; personally I would like a fight against Miguel Vazquez, the IBF champion, or Antonio Demarco, the WBC champion. Not sure what's going to happen with the WBA strap since Rios/Gamboa is likely falling apart. And Rios is moving up to 140 he said - win or lose against Gamboa. . .

If he loses against Mitchell, then still go for another belt at 135, or maybe another all domestic showdown against Murray. . .

Either way, one or two more fights after the Mitchell fight, beginning in 2013 he could make his campaign for a belt at 140!!! He's definitely got the frame, and he could easily put on a few pounds of muscle without losing any speed, dexterity, or agility.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by alza1988 View Post

Thanks bro! Damn, I thought Burns was 5'10"? Moses is listed at 5'8". . . Either Moses is 6', or Burns is 5'6''. . . I think Burns is prolly 5'8''ish and Moses is 5'10''. . . Or maybe Moses was standing up something? Or just the angle?

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
            Thanks bro! Damn, I thought Burns was 5'10"? Moses is listed at 5'8". . . Either Moses is 6', or Burns is 5'6''. . . I think Burns is prolly 5'8''ish and Moses is 5'10''. . . Or maybe Moses was standing up something? Or just the angle?
            Not sure tbh mate .I read Burns was a lightwelterweight in the amatuers though

Comment

Nice. . . Glad to see Burns is getting the support of his countrymen! Big fan of Burns myself here in USA. . . Love his style - that rangy "tall fighter" who mainly fights off the back foot, but is still aggressive with decent punch output. Very good jab; and everything off the jab! straight right off the jab! hooks and uppercuts off the jab! JAB is always first!

Aye, it could fill up a stadium, or at least but a pretty big dent in it! I really hope Burns comes to USA and fights soon! LOVE to see him against any of the LW champions right now! Call me crazy, but I also think him vs. Rios would have been a very good style matchup! He could make Rios walk into that jab all night. . But Rios could also break him down and take hi
              You think Burns might go for a belt in a third weightclass before all is said and done? 140? He's definitely got the frame and height for it. . .
              He has the height and build to move up again so who knows.... One thing at a time though huh!

Ricky is the nicest bloke in boxing, he still cant believe he is a world champion and it hasnt changed him one single bit which is always nice. He has improved So much since winning that first title, i actually picked him to beat Martinez but couldnt have predicted how much his confidence and ability would grow with the championship. Lovely style, under rated puncher, quality jab as u mention and spiteful body shots!

Id be all over him vs Rios!

Anyone see him on Kevin Bridges Whats The Story on Wed night? Good stuff

Comment

Nah, I love hearing perspective of boxing fans from across the pond. One of the main reasons I really grew to love boxing was because it is a true INTERNATIONAL SPORT. . . Unlike "American football" where it's only really big in USA. . . I am a fan of soccer (football) as well, but it's not really caught on in USA. . Boxing, on the other hand is a sport where every single man can put his entire country on his shoulders! (that must be a LOT of pressure). . . Also - I too was a bit of a ruffian and troublemaker, then I cleaned my act up later in my teens and started really taking to boxing - now I can't live without it!

I hate it when fans turn their back on their guy after he loses. . Which is why I am a big Hatton fan myself - and I love how he is still just as endeared in the UK. I have a few friends in Scotland, and they tell me the biggest thing they look for in their boxers, athletes, and just people in general is the ability to be humble. The fans won't take as well to a guy despite being a lot more talented than another guy.

Happy for ya having the chance to see your guy fight live tonight! I'll definitely be watching closely (as I got access to a really good stream for the fight). . .

Stop back in later tonight after the fight and tell us how the experience went!
                I hate it when fans turn on their fighter after a loss, The reception Ricky Hatton got after his loss to Mayweather was a thing of beauty i dont think Floyd could believe it himself!

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                  He has the height and build to move up again so who knows.... One thing at a time though huh!

Ricky is the nicest bloke in boxing, he still cant believe he is a world champion and it hasnt changed him one single bit which is always nice. He has improved So much since winning that first title, i actually picked him to beat Martinez but couldnt have predicted how much his confidence and ability would grow with the championship. Lovely style, under rated puncher, quality jab as u mention and spiteful body shots!

Id be all over him vs Rios!

Anyone see him on Kevin Bridges Whats The Story on Wed night? Good stuff

Haha yeah I'm getting a little ahead of myself. . . First we gotta handle Moses. . . .

SPITEFUL! haha I love that word to describe punching power and ability. . . Lol heard a lot of guys from England use that description on punching as well. . I now use it!

Comment

Working...
                  X