Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you feel about overly religious fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Don LarryX View Post
    would you rather them thank satan??
    no, i'd rather them recognize that it was THEIR hard work and dedication, with the help of their team, that put em in a position to win.
    if it was their faith in god that drove them in training, thats fine, acknowledge that....but c'mon now, give you and your team some credit.
    if god was really involved in fights, nobody would get hurt and every fight would be a draw. is god on your side and not the others?

Comment

Originally posted by "Marvelous" View Post
      Fine as long as they keep it to themselves or a short thing like " I just want to thank God" or something but, when they drag on about it, it get's rather annoying. Religion is your beliefs and no-one else needs to know about that but, you in my opinion.
      I could careless, that's their life not mine. As long as their doing their job in the ring, that's all that matters to me!

Live and let live!

Comment

Nothing wrong with thanking GOD after a fight. They believe without GOD's help they wouldnt be in the position they are so thats fine!

Comment

Originally posted by Siggy View Post
          no, i'd rather them recognize that it was THEIR hard work and dedication, with the help of their team, that put em in a position to win.
          if it was their faith in god that drove them in training, thats fine, acknowledge that....but c'mon now, give you and your team some credit.
          if god was really involved in fights, nobody would get hurt and every fight would be a draw. is god on your side and not the others?
          Yikes!

Comment

I think its awesome to thank God, or whatever higher power you believe in for keeping you safe. But when fighters take it overboard, it really gets on my nerves. I can't see God caring one way or the other who wins, just so long as both are safe and win fairly. My favorite is when nasty nasty nasty fighters start thanking God, like Floyd or Mayorga. They've both said God gave them the victory after a win. If God took as much interest in their career as they thought, they would have been struck by lighting and Parkinson's a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by `STEELHEAD View Post
              i find it annoying as hell. it didnt use to be that way.

as if god or jesus or mohammad choses sides in football, basketball, or boxing or wars... etc. sheesh. idiots!
              Originally posted by Hyacinth View Post
              I'm pretty sure Holyfield prayed equally as much when he lost a match and when he won a match...
              holyfield...he's no mental giant.
              remember when he turned religious
              and became a matchbox preacher( answered an add on a pack of matches to become a minister in texas).
              then he commenced to become a baby factor and had 12 kids.
              which when he got a divorce and unreligious he went broke from back child support.
              and the look on that dumb asses face when he spewed that sht. pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by nathan_nall View Post
                I think its awesome to thank God, or whatever higher power you believe in for keeping you safe. But when fighters take it overboard, it really gets on my nerves. I can't see God caring one way or the other who wins, just so long as both are safe and win fairly. My favorite is when nasty nasty nasty fighters start thanking God, like Floyd or Mayorga. They've both said God gave them the victory after a win. If God took as much interest in their career as they thought, they would have been struck by lighting and Parkinson's a long time ago.
                see this is my problem with your argument. if you're fine with fighters believing and thanking a higher power, so be it. but you can't just select who you think is qualified enough to thank him. that's just absurd. why single out Mayweather and Mayorga? they've never cheated the sport or anything. Sure, they've had problems outside of the ring....

but what about Pacquiao? he's never cheated that we know of either. Still, he's cheated on his wife before and even got a hooker pregnant. What makes him more qualified to ask for Gods help?

Comment

I find it kind of dumb to thank a god for a victory, specially Jesus who is supposed to be omnibenevolent. Who is the loser going to thank? Jesus too? What if the loser gets brain damage? Wasn't god on his side too? Give me a break. I would find it more honest if the fighter thanks his family for giving him the support the fighter needs because really those are the people that give you the strength to keep going. Thank your coach, thank the opponent, thank HBO, Showtime, etc. If find it difficult to grasp the idea of a personal god and why he should care more for a specific fighter to giving him the victory.

Comment

Originally posted by madsweeney View Post
                    I'm more annoyed by anti-religious bigots *****ing about someone who says a prayer before putting (potentially) his life on the line for our entertainment.
                    ^^^^^^^ is how I feel.

Comment

It can get a little annoying with some but I just try block it out and focus on their performances and the quality of fighter they are. They can think whatever they want to think about that kind of stuff, if it gives them more will and motivation to use in the ring then more power to them.

Comment

Working...
                      X