Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ricky Hatton: Martin Murray Should Be Middleweight Champ

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Ricky Hatton: Martin Murray Should Be Middleweight Champ

Ricky Hatton says he cannot understand how Martin Murray didn't emerge victorious against Sergio Martinez at the weekend.

Murray blocked most of the Argentinian's southpaw's best punches in the early rounds before taking over the second half of the contest in front of more than 40,000 fans in Buenos Aires.

The Englishman scored a knockdown in the eighth round and had the Martinez over again in the tenth only to see it ruled a slip.

Despite this, and punch stats leaning in Murray's favour, all three judges posted scores of 115-112 for the home boxer.

"I think Martin should be the middleweight champion of the world," stated a dejected Hatton, Murray's promoter. "It was a good competitive fight but there was only one winner for me." [Click Here To Read More]

I think he should too, he didn't close it out as strong as the middle though.
    I'd say let the interim fight the full champ, but as a promoter.... wouldn't be good business.... but Golovkin's name is steadily growing.... which is amazing how far he's come in a year.
    Last year he was fighting a japanese journeyman in Kiev, now he's going to headline 3 HBO shows this year

Comment

I'd favour both Macklin and Barker to beat Murray, and if he can keep his range Andy Lee too. I respect and admire Sergio and he's one of my favourite fighters, but he wasn't on point saturday, whether that's due to injury, age weather conditions or the expectations of the event we cannot say, but that's far from a 100% from Martinez. Had that been Macklin in with him he'd of stopped Martinez late.

Comment

I agree Ricky. No way Murray was gonna get the nod anyway. It was Sergio's homecoming.

Comment

Ive said since the Sturm fight I think Murray is the best out of the Brits.

I dont think he won but I only thought there was a round or 2 in it

Comment

He would of needed to stop Martinez to get the win. Murray was like a bull in there. I would take him to beat both Barker & Macklin. You wouldn't see many fighters go into the backyard of the P4P No3 in front of 40,000 red hot fans (We have all see the crowds at the football matches) and give a performance with no fear whatsoever. He should be real proud of himself because the fight could of been his if it wasn't for the 10th round knockdown being ruled a slip and Martinez doing brilliantly in the last two rounds. Well done Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Milkdogg View Post
              He would of needed to stop Martinez to get the win. Murray was like a bull in there. I would take him to beat both Barker & Macklin. You wouldn't see many fighters go into the backyard of the P4P No3 in front of 40,000 red hot fans (We have all see the crowds at the football matches) and give a performance with no fear whatsoever. He should be real proud of himself because the fight could of been his if it wasn't for the 10th round knockdown being ruled a slip and Martinez doing brilliantly in the last two rounds. Well done Martin
              Yes a Brit going to Argentina after the recent political bull**** over the Falklands that saw Argentines burning the British flag took massive balls.

Comment

He should tell his fighter that he needed to win the last two rounds after not doing anything the first five. He definitely did a great job in the fight, but he put himself behind waiting to start fighting until the 6th round. Martinez looked bad. I don't think it had anything to do with age, he just seemed flat.

Comment

I had it seven rounds for Martinez and five for Murray plus the knockdown. Martinez won, albeit ugly. He should have only won by one point, not that makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by kokingbill View Post
                    He should tell his fighter that he needed to win the last two rounds after not doing anything the first five. He definitely did a great job in the fight, but he put himself behind waiting to start fighting until the 6th round. Martinez looked bad. I don't think it had anything to do with age, he just seemed flat.
                    i agee. i also think by late in the fight murray and his corner should have known martinez was there for the taking and should have closed out stronger. just like in the sturm fight, murray just didnt finish strongly enough to get a decision against the champion on his home ground.

Comment

Working...
                    X