Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where should i be throwing my jab from?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where should i be throwing my jab from?

My jab is pretty good these days and is nice and crisp..but now that I think about it, should I be getting my shoulder involved? Or should i be keeping it static?

insight please

Originally posted by ironmike2008 View Post
    My jab is pretty good these days and is nice and crisp..but now that I think about it, should I be getting my shoulder involved? Or should i be keeping it static?

insight please
    I'd like some replies on this, just to see the different opinions. There are many different ways to throw a jab, depending on the purpose of the shot. Sometimes you want power, other times speed, sometimes you don't want the opponent to know your full potential etc. The weight shifting of your body and the power of the jab also depends on if it is going to be followed by other punches or if it is coming from angle.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmike2008 View Post

insight please
      who is that in your avy? please tell me thats not you. he looks very unhealthy and its a eye sore. yes well if you want a thudding power jab like tyson , miguel cotto shane mosley. i do it. i twist and throw my shoulders and hip into my jab and i crack peoples noses. real talk. somme people like the set up jab with power too but not max power. i love that too like zab judah and jermaine taylor and waldamir. they put enough power on it to **** you up and make you think but by then the two is comin and you floored. i love both techniques because they involve power and the shoulder. these are my choices if you want power and if you want to use the jab to hurts someone instead of just setting up and keeping distance.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ QUIK View Post
        who is that in your avy? please tell me thats not you. he looks very unhealthy and its a eye sore. yes well if you want a thudding power jab like tyson , miguel cotto shane mosley. i do it. i twist and throw my shoulders and hip into my jab and i crack peoples noses. real talk. somme people like the set up jab with power too but not max power. i love that too like zab judah and jermaine taylor and waldamir. they put enough power on it to **** you up and make you think but by then the two is comin and you floored. i love both techniques because they involve power and the shoulder. these are my choices if you want power and if you want to use the jab to hurts someone instead of just setting up and keeping distance.
        The guy in his avatar is "Mr.Pregnant" a youtube humorist that does really weird videos. He's pretty damn funny.

As for the topic, there are many ways of throwing the jab.

Most of the time i throw it with as much power as i can, meaning i twist my body with it, not only does it hurt but it gives me even more leverage to come back with the straight left.(Southpaw) I just throw it out of the my normal stance, meaning both gloves up by my cheek bones.

Sometimes i also keep my front hand low on purpose and throw my jab upwards to catch my opponent between the gloves, but thats more of a southpaw thing.
        Last edited by Equilibrium; 11-27-2008, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Alot of people advocate throwing a jab with the shoulder, when it is better to snap it gaining more speed and using less shoulder and more elbow. Many of the faster fighters do this and it is perfect for controlling the fight and setting up right hands and left hooks. They are your money makers and the power punches. Sure, a stiff jab might do some damage, and using your shoulder will put more weight into it, but it will never genrate the power of a good right hand or left hook. I only use the stiff jab to tee off after unloading a combo. It is good to learn both ways as I have, but then use the shoulder one sparingly. There is no point wasting energy and losing speed on the jab. I pump the jab and keep it snappy which is handy if you intend to keep a high workrate. The snap jab is more better if you want to have it working like a piston. My piston jab is so fast and keeps people away from trying to hurt my film star looks.

Comment

Originally posted by JulioCesaChavez View Post
            Alot of people advocate throwing a jab with the shoulder, when it is better to snap it gaining more speed and using less shoulder and more elbow. Many of the faster fighters do this and it is perfect for controlling the fight and setting up right hands and left hooks. They are your money makers and the power punches. Sure, a stiff jab might do some damage, and using your shoulder will put more weight into it, but it will never genrate the power of a good right hand or left hook. I only use the stiff jab to tee off after unloading a combo. It is good to learn both ways as I have, but then use the shoulder one sparingly. There is no point wasting energy and losing speed on the jab. I pump the jab and keep it snappy which is handy if you intend to keep a high workrate. The snap jab is more better if you want to have it working like a piston. My piston jab is so fast and keeps people away from trying to hurt my film star looks.
            julio your a piece of **** and i really dont think you can box.

Comment

Your corner shop.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ QUIK View Post
                julio your a piece of **** and i really dont think you can box.
                Of course he can't, but shhhhh, he'll send you red k and talk about his star looks and incredible power.

Comment

personally i hold my left hand at the bottom of my left pec when i throw the jab but really its whatever your style is and whatever is comfortable to you, the only real person who can tell you this is a trainer

Comment

my coach tells me to always keep my jab hand at eye level. as soon as i jab i bring it right back to my eye, so i wont get caught with anything. some fighters usually lower down their hands after a jab or combo and they could get caught with a counter.

Comment

Working...
                    X