Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kyle Maynard fighting Saturday: "Amputee's martial arts fight in Ala. stirs controver

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyle Maynard fighting Saturday: "Amputee's martial arts fight in Ala. stirs controver

Amputee's martial arts fight in Ala. stirs controversy
    Kyle Maynard, who was born without elbows, hands, knees or whole feet, was a standout wrestler in high school and college. But his plan to fight in a mixed martial arts contest this Saturday in Auburn, Ala., has stirred controversy, the Montgomery Advertiser reports.

The debate, the newspaper says, is whether Maynard is "a legitimate contender or the too-trusting victim of a rogue promoter." Some critics also worry that he could be seriously injured.

The 135-pound Maynard was denied an MMA license in 2007 in his home state of Georgia. Alabama doesn't regulate the sport.

Maynard, an accomplished wrestler and motivational speaker, tells the paper that he thinks he has earned the right to compete:

"There have been a ton of sinister things said about me and about this fight, and I don't understand that. I don't know why I wouldn't be given a shot to show what I can do. I've trained with some of the best in the sport for this. I can protect myself -- it's hard to explain how, but if people come and watch, they'll see. This has gotten blown way up and I really don't think there would be so much talk if people just came and watched me fight."

The Advertiser quotes David Oblas, the fight promoter, as saying he not only believes Kyle won't be injured, "I believe he'll win."

For more on Kyle and video of him wrestling, go to one of the newest USA Today blogs, Fighting Stances, about Mixed Martial Arts.

(Photo by Todd Plitt, USA TODAY)

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline...ntroversy.html

I'm guessing many of you have seen this guy on the late night news show circuit. Kind of an interesting situation.

I've read about his situation. It's inspiring to have someone who was chosen to LITERALLY be born with basically nothing, try and do something with their life. It's really sad to. You wonder why God decides to let rapists and crack dealers live healthy lives, while people are born like this and standup citizens are victimized by the second.

Comment

i can understand why he wants to compete, but it puts his opponent in a no win situation.

Comment

There is no way he can protect himself from strikes. He may be ok on the ground but anything else.....he's in trouble.

Comment

i can say that he has a potential.. you could not do submission on the guy..
          im just worrying about blocking punches and kicks..

well if its his dream i say go for it..

Comment

lol. I'm sorry but I had to laugh. Just the thought that he really believes he could make something of himself as a fighter. Only way he wins anything is if his opponent is overcome by pity and quits or refuses to fight.

Comment

This guy is inspiration thats all i got to say!
              I think he was in Oprah few years ago!

Comment

Who will be crazy enough to fight him?

I know this guy was successful in grappling tournaments but i could never hit someone amputee, i believe in God. If you have the nerve to kick him in the head, i would tell you are a piece of ****. But at the same time, he wants to be treated like any other fighter. Unfortunately that's impossible. Like StillUnknown said , it's a no win situation to fight him. If you win, people will say you are a coward and a son of *****. That could kill your career and there's no way the UFC signs a guy who was paid to beat up an amputee.
                If you lose people are gonna mock you and say you suck cause you lose to someone who couldn't throw a punch or a kick.

I definitely support the guy, cause he has balls and is very deserving. If for some crazy reason he fights in MMA, i wish he wins.
                I'm afraid that his fight becomes a freak show. Some rednecks who watch MMA may make fun of him. I hope it won't be the case.

Comment

KO via Soccer Kick

Comment

dude lost his fight by unanimous decision if anyone cares

Comment

Working...
                    X