No announcement yet.

Economic Freedom and quality of life.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Economic Freedom and quality of life.

A short, sweet, informative video on the correlation between the two.

I know that Singapore monitors their banks and they do not have a minimum wage.

Comment

Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
      I know that Singapore monitors their banks and they do not have a minimum wage.
      Well Singapore is certainly evidence that eradicating the minimum wage doesn't necessarily lead to 10 cents per hour wages, but I'm not advocating a 100% free market. I do believe that if too high (like the proposed 9.50 per hour,) it (min wage) makes it harder for young, poor, uneducated people to enter the work force. And it allows illegal immigrants to undercut legal citizens and take many of those jobs (though I've seen illegals in Virginia making as much as 100 bucks a day.)

What I'm saying is that while countries like China and Australia have moved to a freer market, their economies have improved. And while ours has shifted in the opposite direction, our central government consistently growing under either party, our economy is heading south. And solutions being proposed of more spending and control (regulations.).

Comment

Price Ceilings and Floors are rubbish B.S. Min wage leaves huge holes for revenue to flow through. Like you said, with immigrants, loss of young workers entering the job market and I would think a loss of competitiveness with in corp.

Comment

Originally posted by KingDosia View Post
          Price Ceilings and Floors are rubbish B.S. Min wage leaves huge holes for revenue to flow through. Like you said, with immigrants, loss of young workers entering the job market and I would think a loss of competitiveness with in corp.
          Yeah those as well. A lot of people don't understand that not everyone is cut out for college. Not everyone has the luxury of even finishing high school. And when you restrict the accessibility of entering the work force, you don't leave them a lot of choices. Part of the reason we have 2.2 million or so people in prison (at an annual cost of 30K to 50K per person.)

When someone doesn't yet have a job history, you have to train them (which costs money) and you don't know whether they'll show up to work tomorrow, or whether they'll steal from you. Add in the real cost of (1.5 to 2 times wage) hiring them and that's a lot of risk to take. By cutting the bottom rungs off the ladder, they never get to climb the ladder.

Comment

cool story jim jeffries, now can u put that english for me?

Comment

Except that Australia has primarily socialized medicine and China is a communist country. Minimum wage jobs do not come with benefits, a term in the US to describe optional things like paid holiday and maternity leave, bereavement time, health care and sick leave of which at least paid holiday, maternity and sick leave are mandated by Australia and China.

If the US should emulate Australia and China in its movement toward a freer market, perhaps it should also socialize a bit more like Australia and Europe have done in order to combat the race to the bottom with diminished salaries, benefits packages and declining quality of life for the lower middle class and poor. Additionally, if minimum wage is abolished, perhaps companies should be restricted from farming their jobs overseas a bit more. You know, do the patriotic thing and become good corporate citizens.

Comment

Jeffries, I agree with that but there is also a happy medium. I am not for a 100% free market and I do think that government should be in control of certain things, for one a health care OPTION so people can have basic medical care.

Believe it or not, I am very conservative in the governments involvement in my life and in many other things.

This country has gone down the ****ter since Bush, wars, deficit, job loss, education failure, there's a lot of problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
                  Well Singapore is certainly evidence that eradicating the minimum wage doesn't necessarily lead to 10 cents per hour wages, but I'm not advocating a 100% free market. I do believe that if too high (like the proposed 9.50 per hour,) it (min wage) makes it harder for young, poor, uneducated people to enter the work force. And it allows illegal immigrants to undercut legal citizens and take many of those jobs (though I've seen illegals in Virginia making as much as 100 bucks a day.)

What I'm saying is that while countries like China and Australia have moved to a freer market, their economies have improved. And while ours has shifted in the opposite direction, our central government consistently growing under either party, our economy is heading south. And solutions being proposed of more spending and control (regulations.).
                  Australia?.China's economic growth is probably because of it's export and cheap labour.There is a discrepancy between the west and China's labour force.The Chinese do not give it's workers the same right and freedom as we have in the west.I would say it is closer to slavery than anything.(sweat shops in some peoples term).And the quality of their products are not as good.yet people are buying them since they are heck a lot cheaper than what we actually produced.There is also the tariff issues with them which I could go on some detail in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
                    A short, sweet, informative video on the correlation between the two.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraser_Institute

You know, the people that were sourced in this disingenuous 'informative video'. Yeah, those people. 'On average' is an interesting term. I am not going to delineate on how many levels this video and its sourcing fail, but a narrow vision supported by right-wing think tanks makes this video fallacious and anecdotal at best. I love how the guy drones on about Civil Liberties...Patriot Act. HAHAHA!

And later on down in this same thread, you label a high school education a 'luxury'. Unbelievable. Another thing you do is implicitly argue that people who do not have the means are simply not going to succeed in college (which has been reduced in prestige to what a high school diploma was about 30 years ago), so they should automatically relegate themselves to substandard livelihoods, subsisting at the mercy of corporations that you imply should dictate how much people get paid at a minimum. And of course, this is all without even considering how, as I mentioned above, the US does not mandate 'bennies' for its citizens.

Comment

Working...
                    X