No announcement yet.

Ring 8 name Joe Calzaghe 'fighter of the decade'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ring 8 name Joe Calzaghe 'fighter of the decade'

Quillin, Calzaghe and Hopkins honoured at Ring 8 awards on Sunday, February 10th

Ring 8 has announced its 2012 award winners (see full list below), including new World Boxing Association middleweight champion Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin(Fighter of the Year), Joe Calzaghe (Fighter of the Decade), and Bernard Hopkins(Lifetime Achievement),

“Our members really look forward to this gala event every year,” Ring 8 president Bob Duffy said. “Some of the biggest names in boxing will be honored as we proudly continue our record for lending a helping hand to those in the boxing community who are less fortunate, some requiring assistance towards paying their rent, medical expenses, or whatever justifiable need. Each year our Holiday Event and Awards Ceremony celebrates our great sport of boxing, insuring much-needed funding is raised so we may continue our mission for our needy brothers and sisters in boxing. We will never waver from their corners. We had to wait a little longer this year because of Hurricane Sandy, but I’m confident it’ll be another knockout Holiday Event and Awards Ceremony.”

Committed celebrity boxing attendees include world champions Bobby Czyz, Virgil Hill, Iran Barkley, Vito Antuofermo, and Matthew Saad Muhammad, as well as Renaldo “Mr.” Snipes, Tommy Gallagher, Michael Bentt, Harold Lederman, and Earnie Shavers.

2012 RING 8 Award Winners

Fighter of the Year: Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin
    Fighter of the Decade: Joe Calzaghe
    Uncrowned Champion: David Sears
    Coach of the Year (FDNY): Bob McGuire
    Coaches of the Year (NYPD): Pat Russo & Dave Seiv
    Lifetime Achievement Award: Bernard Hopkins
    Official of the Year (Referee): Eddie Claudio
    Official of the Year (Judge): John Signorile
    Boxing Writer of the Year: Mike Woods
    Long & Meritorious Service: Ron McNair
    Man of the Year: Frankie Russo Jr.
    Prospects of the Year: Floriano Pagliara & Joe Smith
    Comeback of the Year: Adam Willett
    http://www.ring8ny.com/?p=5202

Whos Joe Calzaghe I never heard of him

Comment

Congrats. The guy had unbelievable power when needed, foot work was string-ray like fast, and defense was slick. He is undefeated too, The guy is an ATG #1

Comment

You heard of this guy silversun... wasnt there a calzaghe that got dropped by retirees hopkins and roy jones.. is there any relation

Comment

Joe's reponse:

Jack Hirsch, one of America’s best-known boxing writers and a Ring 8 judge, said: “It wasn’t just Joe’s remarkable exploits in the ring that caused us to vote for him.

“He is an example to young boxers everywhere and we felt it was about time a non-American was given the kind of appreciation that we usually reserve for our own.”

An elated Calzaghe told me: “I regard this as a massive honour and I’m thrilled.

“It’s a pleasant feeling knowing what I did in my career hasn’t been forgotten.

“When I retired I didn’t think after nearly 30 years training, sparring and fighting I would miss boxing. How wrong I was. I miss it like crazy.”

When I expressed concern that it sounded as if Joe might be considering a comeback, he put my fears at rest.

Joe, 41 next month said: “There’s no chance of that happening.” Then, with a chuckle, he said: “Mind you, if someone offered me £20million.”

Calzaghe happens to be one of Froch’s greatest admirers and he said: “Carl has improved considerably in the last couple of years and seems to get better and better with age.”

But Joe couldn’t resist adding: “Carl will beat Kessler but he would never have beaten me.”

There’s little doubt that one day Calzaghe and Froch will be indicted into America’s Boxing Hall of Fame.

Comment

Comment

They also chose Kid Chocolate as FOY, so...

And what the hell is Ring 8 anyway?

Comment

No way!

What a ridiculous magazine Ring 8 must be then.

Comment

Originally posted by R1DG3Z View Post

What he said...

Comment

Originally posted by R1DG3Z View Post

Veteran Boxers Association of New York. http://www.ring8ny.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X