Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

..ROY JONES .Vs. CLINTON WOODS: Part II...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ..ROY JONES .Vs. CLINTON WOODS: Part II...

Some website has confirmed that negotiations for a rematch between light heavyweight contender Clinton Woods and living legend Roy Jones Jr. are ongoing. Word inside the Jones camp is that talks between Dennis Hobson of Fight Academy and John Wirt of Square Ring are focusing on a pay-per-view event (this summer) featuring Woods vs. Jones at the Sheffield Arena in the UK. “Woods wants revenge and Jones wants to prove himself against the best,” said the anonymous source. Woods fought Jones in October 2002, but Woods (then 32-1) had not fought a world-class opponent while Jones (then 46-1) had won the middleweight, super middleweight and several versions of the light heavyweight title since turning pro in May 1989. Since that fateful meeting when the corner of Woods threw in the towel in the sixth round, the careers of both fighters have gone up and down. Woods has fought several champions and contenders, including going 1-1-1 with Glen Johnson, the fighter who knocked out Jones in Sept 2004, plus the Englishman has won and lost the IBF light heavyweight title. Woods is now the #2 IBF contender. Jones has had almost another full career after his encounter with Woods, including beating John Ruiz for the WBA heavyweight title, regaining a version of the light heavyweight title and beating Felix Trinidad last year in one of 2008’s highest grossing pay-per-view events. Jones - although unranked - is regarded as a contender at 175-pounds. Supposedly the deal for the rematch is contingent upon British television buying the fight so that there is enough money to pay Jones, whose name and resume does deserve a high-salary. More to follow!

I stole this. I don't know if this has been discussed. Nonetheless, just letting you all know.

according to bbc sport woods is tipped for a shot at the ibf. For the last three days the link on the site for more info hasnt been working so I havent been able to find out whats going on. All I have to go in is the headline. Sorry I cant be any more help!

Comment

Jones is shot and should retire but i have to admit that if that happend in the UK i would go just to see RJJ.

Comment

I have seen an interview of Roy Jones saying he wants to fight Jeff Lacy or Clinton Woods, and he said he would go to the UK to fight Woods since 'Woods came to the US the first time'. So this could be true.

Comment

This could be a fun fight.

Comment

To think if Jones wins this he would be in line for another title shot.

Comment

I don't get these fighters: One, Jones not retiring yet and Two, Woods thinking it matters if he beats this version of Jones. He must be drinking Calzaghe water.

Comment

oh god no...

Comment

Originally posted by Benny Leonard View Post
                  I don't get these fighters: One, Jones not retiring yet and Two, Woods thinking it matters if he beats this version of Jones. He must be drinking Calzaghe water.
                  IF it's true, maybe Woods wants a bit of cash for a retirement fund? I cant imagine he's made an awful lot so far, not enough to not work for the rest of his life. Nothing wrong with that.
                  IF its true, maybe Jones wants another title shot, which he would almost certainly get if he wins, before he retires. Nothing wrong with that.
                  PPV? There's a hell of a lot wrong with that!!

Comment

Originally posted by gingeralbino View Post
                    IF it's true, maybe Woods wants a bit of cash for a retirement fund? I cant imagine he's made an awful lot so far, not enough to not work for the rest of his life. Nothing wrong with that.
                    IF its true, maybe Jones wants another title shot, which he would almost certainly get if he wins, before he retires. Nothing wrong with that.
                    PPV? There's a hell of a lot wrong with that!!
                    If I go by what you are saying, I understand why he would take it. My point was that a "W" at this piont means nothing.

Comment

Working...
                    X