No announcement yet.

Sam Langford went from Featherweight to Heavyweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam Langford went from Featherweight to Heavyweight

Why is this not mentioned?dude fought half blind and was ducked by Jack Johnson and Jack Dempsey at heavyweight,was only 5'6..that is a damn impressive feat

Sam Langford is regarded as one of the best boxers of all-time and arguably the greatest boxer to never win a world title. White champions drew the color line and Jack Johnson claimed a title defense against Langford wouldn't draw.

After Jack Johnson won the World Heavyweight Championship in 1908, Langford claimed the World Colored Heavyweight Championship. With Johnson choosing to defend against white challengers, the top black fighters fought each other repeatedly. Langford fought Joe Jeannette 13 times, Sam McVea 13 times, and Harry Wills 18 times.

In the early 1920s, when Langford was half-blind, he went to Jack Kearns, the manager of World Heavyweight Champion Jack Dempsey, and asked for a shot at the title. Kearns said, "Sam, we were looking for somebody easier."

In his autobiography, Dempsey wrote, “There was one man . . . I wouldn’t fight because I knew he would flatten me. I was afraid of Sam Langford.”

By the end of his career, Langford could barely see. His eyes failing, Langford would fight on the inside so he could feel his opponent and know where his arms were. At the end of a round, he'd use the ropes to feel his way back to his corner. Doctors twice tried to restore his sight, but by the mid-1930s, Langford was totally blind.

In 1944, Al Laney of the "New York Herald Tribune" decided to write a story about Langford, but he had trouble finding him. Several people suggested that Langford was probably dead, but Laney persisted and finally found Langford living at a rooming house on 139th Street in New York City. Langford had 20 cents in his pocket and was subsisting on a few dollars he received each month from a foundation for the blind.

Shortly after Laney's story was published, a fund was set up for Langford. As a result, he lived relatively comfortably for the rest of his days. Langford passed away on January 12, 1956 at a private nursing home in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Impossible to do today , unless you include CWs that bring the bigger guy down !

Comment

You must not go into the history section much....

And johnson did fight langford. It was a rematch that never happened.

Comment

because he was getting knocked out left and right through out his entire career by bums with awful records

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
          Impossible to do today , unless you include CWs that bring the bigger guy down !
          not impossible...just takes huge balls and no regard for human life

Comment

Originally posted by Larry.X. View Post
            not impossible...just takes huge balls and no regard for human life
            Until somebody actually does it in the modern era , I,ll bet on the impossible

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
              Until somebody actually does it in the modern era , I,ll bet on the impossible
              margarito would have ktfo of the klits.

he had "no regard for human life!" remember that guy? who was that 'viva mexico'?

Comment

uuhmm there has been several threads both in nsb & the history section showing a plethora of fighters throughout boxing history that have gone through several divisions/weight classes in even more pronounced fashion than pacquiao:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=342904

what pacquiao did in his multiple weight class trek is nothing new. Its been done before several times.

armstrong held a 3 division titles at the same time. nobody accused him of steroid use.

Comment

"There is nothing more damaging than a right to the jaw from Margarito"

---Viva Mexico

Comment

Originally posted by Cigarillo View Post
                    "There is nothing more damaging than a right to the jaw from Margarito"

---Viva Mexico
                    huh?????????

Comment

Working...
                    X